Chaifetz Sports Announcement

SluSignGuy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, thetorch said:

Add salt lake city to the list but no NBA city did what St. Louis did to its black players, ask Lenny Wilkens.

Certainly not worse than what Boston did to Bill Russell. It’s well documented that he didn’t want to play in STL, but I have a very hard time in believing that he would’ve been treated the same.

At any rate, the NBA isn’t what it once was for the reasons I alluded to and I’m good with it.

I hope they have an affordable streaming package so I can see the fighting Shock in Florida.    When is the draft because looking at the teams webpage, our average age is about 40?   You need more young legs if you want to win the Gherkin Cup.  

On 1/19/2023 at 10:12 AM, dlarry said:

They converted half of the tennis courts at Carondolet park and half at Wilmore to Pickleball courts. 
Before the conversion they were completely empty.

After the conversion they are packed to the brim. People sit on the sideline waiting for a court to open.

I see nothing wrong with converting something that wasn’t  used into something that is. 

I'd rather see increased tennis use and better upkeep of the tennks courts. And separate pickleball courts can be used for that. To name a very random example, Des Peres Park did this at Hwy 270 and Manchester. No need to take from something else. Improve both.

1 hour ago, courtside said:

I'd rather see increased tennis use and better upkeep of the tennks courts. And separate pickleball courts can be used for that. To name a very random example, Des Peres Park did this at Hwy 270 and Manchester. No need to take from something else. Improve both.

Could you have randomly picked the among the most and least affluent cities in the region?  

I normally live in a Austin where Pickleball is getting really popular. There's even a condo development with courts.   We hosted the National Championship a couple years ago.

I'm told, by everyone that's tried that it is a blast young, old, male, female can play competitively vs each other. 

Not as big as I thought but don't disparage Pickle Ball.  I think I'm going to pick it up when I get back home. 

On 1/19/2023 at 10:12 AM, dlarry said:

They converted half of the tennis courts at Carondolet park and half at Wilmore to Pickleball courts. 
Before the conversion they were completely empty.

After the conversion they are packed to the brim. People sit on the sideline waiting for a court to open.

I see nothing wrong with converting something that wasn’t  used into something that is. 

I play tennis weekly - even during the winter if it's not TOO cold.  We usually play starting at 7 or 8 until the lights go off between 10-11.  Losing the Carondalet courts to pickleball killed our ability to play there; so we moved to Sublet.  Another buddy plays pickleball so I got a set and went with him to Carondalet one night.  It was insane.  You can't just show up and play your buddy, or take a court.  All the courts are filled with people rotating against each other.  It was fun, but I still prefer tennis, and personally don't like losing courts (especially ones with lights).  AB Green has two tennis courts with rollaway pickleball nets.  That seems to be a good option; because then it's first come first serve - no pun intended.

22 minutes ago, brianstl said:

CF90DF0E-66CF-4900-951B-00A09F2E2FFE.jpeg.8df8a181e3644d31f42dbc50e02512a8.jpeg

Not really. If anything pickleball is helping the growth of tennis.

Pickleball is a complement to tennis as opposed to a competitor. Both can and do co-exist just fine. It even opens up a potential new fan base for tennis. Many tennis players are playing pickleball and owning pickleball teams. Tennis channel airs both. It isn't an either/or. There's room for both in an overall group as racket sports. There has been a big uptick in pickleball participants in rexent years in the U.S., yet tennis has seen even more. 

https://www.usta.com/en/home/stay-current/national/recent-surge-in-tennis-participation-outpacing-all-other-racquet.html

Tennis is also a global sport where much of its focus is International. Record numbers of American Men and Women are having professional success right now. Prize money and endorsements are at all time highs. Most of the top 10 highest sports compensation for Women are tennis players for example.

If pickleball gets more people out and about exercising, having fun, and building community, that's great. It's also particularly helpful for very young racket sports/tennis interested players as well as with much older age groups.

And don't forget about Padel:

https://tenniscreative.com/padel-statistics/

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

Yuri connecting up with the Chaifetz Group to rep the Pickleball team! One more assist for YC!!

EAFD83BF-7BE6-467B-BA6E-D43FC3848A5E.png

Is Chaiftez positioning Yuri to buy his 5th year at SLU?

The PB league starts late this month.  The Billiken's basktball season will end sometime in March.  Two months for Yuri to promote the Shockers before he jumps out of NCAA ball?  Doesn't add up to me.

On 1/20/2023 at 12:57 PM, papal said:

Bill Russell would have played in St Louis.  I had the opportunity years ago to question him about not playing  in St. Lpuis and he said he would have played here except Bill Kerner was "too cheap to spend a quarter" on his salary/

'

Ben Kerner.

On 1/21/2023 at 12:37 PM, HoosierPal said:

Is Chaiftez positioning Yuri to buy his 5th year at SLU?

The PB league starts late this month.  The Billiken's basktball season will end sometime in March.  Two months for Yuri to promote the Shockers before he jumps out of NCAA ball?  Doesn't add up to me.

I hope you're right, but the devil's advocate position here is that this is just the easiest way they can funnel him the 6 figures he was promised. Think money laundering, but not illegally. 

3 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I hope you're right, but the devil's advocate position here is that this is just the easiest way they can funnel him the 6 figures he was promised. Think money laundering, but not illegally. 

I asked this on the other board.  Did the chaifetz really think Pickleball was worth investing into, or is to lock up NIL deals, or both.