The Bills over Loy-Chi by 7

The Wiz

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

I agree with the somehow losing the dregs of the conference.  My point is that Loyola and Belmont are far better than other (more eastern) options when the conference did expand and if it does expand again in the future.  

Honestly, the best hope is some day the leadership at SLU, Richmond and Dayton wake up one morning deciding that waiting on an invitation to the Big East that is probably never coming is fruitless.  They then decide they need to take control over their own futures and follow what the schools that created the Mountain West did 25 years ago when they left the WAC and formed their own conference.  Pull in five or six other current members (from St. Joe, GW, Fordham, Loyola, VCU, UMass and RI), add a program or programs like a Witchita St. or Belmont from outside the conference and get to 9-11 members.  Let Richmond decide if they want to take VCU along.  You go from there and you can poach mid major and low programs in geographic beneficial areas that have established themselves to increase conference membership in the future if needed. 

I have always thought there is a pretty damn good "midwestern" non-football school conference to be had. I'd probably cut it off east of Ohio. SLU, Dayton, Wichita, Loyola, Drake, Belmont, Bradley, Northern Kentucky, Oral Roberts and one other within that footprint. Play a round robin 18 game schedule. 

The only issue is that any new conference has to apply for an auto-bid and there are certain requirements for that - which I can't remember off the top of my head. 

brianstl likes this

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

but it is not cut throatish to take part of the conference and run away to start a new conference originating with just the select members of said conference?   

i am pretty sure if they form a new conference there will be a period of time they will likely not be included in the tournament or limited to the number of teams that can get in the tourney.     

It is and it isn’t.  While the intent of being free of the anchor of certain schools is the same, forcibly removing a school takes the choice away from the ejected school. Leaving on your own allows the undesired school to stay in the conference. 

-I looked but could not confirm that 8 members could vote to takeover the conference but I have doubts this is real

-just for fun I looked at the SEC Bylaws and to amend their constitution or bylaws requires a vote by at least 2/3 of the members, some other items require at least 3/4

4 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

It is and it isn’t.  While the intent of being free of the anchor of certain schools is the same, forcibly removing a school takes the choice away from the ejected school. Leaving on your own allows the undesired school to stay in the conference. 

they know they arent trying.   i suspect the schools that are have had words with them about it as well.   if not, they should start.   i have no problems giving them a chance to change.  but their attitude of just throwing bascially an intramural team on the floor/field, needs to stop.

3 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-I looked but could not confirm that 8 members could vote to takeover the conference but I have doubts this is real

-just for fun I looked at the SEC Bylaws and to amend their constitution or bylaws requires a vote by at least 2/3 of the members, some other items require at least 3/4

fine 3/4 of 15 is 12.   dump our 3 usual bottom feeders i'd be thrilled   we wouldnt even need to search for new teams with that thinning of the herd.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I assume your definition of Bottom Feeders is for Men's Basketball.  What about Women's sports?  The list of past 10 A10 Women's Soccer Tourney champs includes LaSalle twice.  Previous A10 Women's BB champs include Fordham twice, GW three times, and St. Joe.  Fordham has been a solid softball team, winning 9 tourney's since 2011 with GW close behind.

So are you suggesting we dump teams that have strong women's sports?  Are you suggesting the conference only sponsor Men's Basketball?   Just curious.

This is probably the first time that Fordham softball has been mentioned anywhere on the internet outside of fordham.edu, so yeah....thats a non factor. 

52 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

fine 3/4 of 15 is 12.   dump our 3 usual bottom feeders i'd be thrilled   we wouldnt even need to search for new teams with that thinning of the herd.

Nobody is going to vote Fordham out of the conference.  Every program in the conference wants that trip to New York to fundraise with NYC alumni.

The game will be the 47th meeting, with Loyola leading the all-time series with SLU 24-22.  SLU has won the last 4 dating back to 1991.  The two last played in 2007.  SLU is 8-13 vs. Loyola in road (away) games.

The two were conference mates in the Midwestern City Conference/Midwestern Collegiate Conference.  I remember seeing Coach Gene Sullivan's Ramblers with Alfredrick Hughes play Coach Rich Grawer's Billikens at old Kiel Auditorium in the '80's.

48 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Nobody is going to vote Fordham out of the conference.  Every program in the conference wants that trip to New York to fundraise with NYC alumni.

Exactly. NYC probably has the most alumni for most of the teams in the A10. An easy win to keep the alumni happy…

Doesn't Bernadette work for the conference presidents and not the other way around?  It would seem to me that the majority of the A10 schools are quite happy with Bernadette and therefore won't do much if anything about her.  Mediocrity seem to abound at La Salle, Fordham, St. Joe's, Bonaventure, Umass, Geedubya, Mason and Duquesne.  That's a majority.

Back @JMM28 --- Krutwig.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.  

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Exactly. NYC probably has the most alumni for most of the teams in the A10. An easy win to keep the alumni happy…

Numerous A10 alumni in/around NYC helps the case for having the A10 Tournament in Brooklyn, but is a complete non-factor for anything involving Fordham. Go to any Fordham v. A10 game at Rose Hill or simply look at the stands on a broadcast. There are hardly any Fordham fans there, let alone away team fans. The level of interest and activity doesn't justify networking or fundraising events. Rose Hill barely has a concession stand, let alone private suites, lounge areas, catering, etc.... that make it easier to accommodate such events.

Very few A10 alumni in NYC care to trek up to the Bronx on Wednesdays or Saturdays. It doesn't help that Fordham doesn't sell alcohol at campus events. What "keeps the alumni happy" is sitting at home and watching the Fordham game on TV, like every other opponent. However, the alumni are probably a little less happy watching Fordham, because they're garbage.

Billiken Rich likes this

8 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

imo bernadette is to blame.  can there be a less effective commissioner?  what has she done to better the conference?   what has she done to insist the annual bottom feeders improve their athletic department with larger budgets, improved facilities, better coaches?   what has she done to recruit better programs to join our conference?   loyola at best is a mediocre overall athletic program get which appears to be back sliding now that moser went elsewhere.  

A10 TV coverage is 10 times better than it was pre-Bernadette. It could be a lot worse, look at the Missouri Valley and Ohio Valley conferences.

4 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

A10 TV coverage is 10 times better than it was pre-Bernadette. It could be a lot worse, look at the Missouri Valley and Ohio Valley conferences.

it is far more important in the long run to win.   tv coverage is nice, but if the conference is a success the tv coverage will come to the conference begging to televise the games.

16 hours ago, JMM28 said:

I have always thought there is a pretty damn good "midwestern" non-football school conference to be had. I'd probably cut it off east of Ohio. SLU, Dayton, Wichita, Loyola, Drake, Belmont, Bradley, Northern Kentucky, Oral Roberts and one other within that footprint. Play a round robin 18 game schedule. 

The only issue is that any new conference has to apply for an auto-bid and there are certain requirements for that - which I can't remember off the top of my head. 

The obvious 10th team is that rising cage power to our east, the SIUE Cougars!! When’s the last time you saw a basketball team referred to as “cagers?”