The Bills over Loy-Chi by 7

The Wiz

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Taj79 said:

@JMM28Krutwig?!?!  For real?  Once in a generation?  That seems quite generous.  Larry Hughes?  Sure.  Jordan Goodwin?  Maybe, close.  Cameron Krutwig?  Japanese and Phillipino pro basketball player now.

Cameron Krutwig was a better college basketball player than both Larry Hughes and Jordan Goodwin (4 years of Hughes, sure). And that isn't even debatable. Don't make me defend Loyola now.

Loyola will be fine.  Will they be VCU in the A10? No, but they won't have a multi decade run at the bottom of the conference like Fordham had either.  Even if they did, it is better for SLU to have Loyola in the conference than another Philly, DC or VA school.  That is true for both the basketball program and the university.  

BC1764 likes this

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Loyola will be fine.  Will they be VCU in the A10? No, but they won't have a multi decade run at the bottom of the conference like Fordham had either.  Even if they did, it is better for SLU to have Loyola in the conference than another Philly, DC or VA school.  That is true for both the basketball program and the university.  

Very true, Loyola-Chicago in the A10 is good for SLU in all sports. I wish the A10 would go after Belmont next. 

brianstl and BC1764 like this

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Very true, Loyola-Chicago in the A10 is good for SLU in all sports. I wish the A10 would go after Belmont next. 

Belmont, is another school that makes sense for SLU for reasons far beyond how they would perform on the basketball court.  Nashville is the 5th fastest growing metro area in the country and the A10 is a conference that desperately needs a southern presence outside of Charlotte and Richmond.  You got to go to where the kids are.  

BC1764 likes this

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

the A10 is a conference that desperately needs a southern presence outside of Charlotte and Richmond.  You got to go to where the kids are.  

Belmont wouldn't make the A10's top 10 in enrollment.

Why the desperation for having more schools in Dixie?

19 minutes ago, Compton said:

Belmont wouldn't make the A10's top 10 in enrollment.

Why the desperation for having more schools in Dixie?

Because that is where the kids that move on to college live in ever increasing numbers. Using the Nashville metro area as an example, despite currently having 800,000 less people than the St. Louis metro, in the next decade will produce more college bound students than the St. Louis metro. The St. Louis metro isn't declining in the numbers it produces, but it isn't growing either.  That said, the A10 is overrepresented in states with decreasing populations of people under 18 and decreasing fertility rates. You have to find a way to have a presence in areas where you are going to need to recruit students and student athletes from in the future.  

33 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Because that is where the kids that move on to college live in ever increasing numbers. Using the Nashville metro area as an example, despite currently having 800,000 less people than the St. Louis metro, in the next decade will produce more college bound students than the St. Louis metro. The St. Louis metro isn't declining in the numbers it produces, but it isn't growing either.  That said, the A10 is overrepresented in states with decreasing populations of people under 18 and decreasing fertility rates. You have to find a way to have a presence in areas where you are going to need to recruit students and student athletes from in the future.  

I like the idea of adding Belmont, but not until something can be figured out with the dregs of the conference. There are  too many perennial losers. I know we differ on this, but I also think Loyola is going to trend towards that level as opposed to a consistent winner.

Belmont also didn’t leave the OVC until it basically imploded from a non-football standpoint. They had many years of offers from the MVC. That’s a lot of additional budget to join the A10. 

28 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I like the idea of adding Belmont, but not until something can be figured out with the dregs of the conference. There are  too many perennial losers. I know we differ on this, but I also think Loyola is going to trend towards that level as opposed to a consistent winner.

Belmont also didn’t leave the OVC until it basically imploded from a non-football standpoint. They had many years of offers from the MVC. That’s a lot of additional budget to join the A10. 

I agree with the somehow losing the dregs of the conference.  My point is that Loyola and Belmont are far better than other (more eastern) options when the conference did expand and if it does expand again in the future.  

Honestly, the best hope is some day the leadership at SLU, Richmond and Dayton wake up one morning deciding that waiting on an invitation to the Big East that is probably never coming is fruitless.  They then decide they need to take control over their own futures and follow what the schools that created the Mountain West did 25 years ago when they left the WAC and formed their own conference.  Pull in five or six other current members (from St. Joe, GW, Fordham, Loyola, VCU, UMass and RI), add a program or programs like a Witchita St. or Belmont from outside the conference and get to 9-11 members.  Let Richmond decide if they want to take VCU along.  You go from there and you can poach mid major and low programs in geographic beneficial areas that have established themselves to increase conference membership in the future if needed. 

Schasz, BC1764 and JMM28 like this

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I agree with the somehow losing the dregs of the conference.  My point is that Loyola and Belmont are far better than other (more eastern) options when the conference did expand and if it does expand again in the future.  

Honestly, the best hope is some day the leadership at SLU, Richmond and Dayton wake up one morning deciding that waiting on an invitation to the Big East that is probably never coming is fruitless.  They then decide they need to take control over their own futures and follow what the schools that created the Mountain West did 25 years ago when they left the WAC and formed their own conference.  Pull in five or six other current members (from St. Joe, GW, Fordham, Loyola, VCU, UMass and RI), add a program or programs like a Witchita St. or Belmont from outside the conference and get to 9-11 members.  Let Richmond decide if they want to take VCU along.  You go from there and you can poach mid major and low programs in geographic beneficial areas that have established themselves to increase conference membership in the future if needed. 

you only need 8 teams in the conference to have a majority.   rather than go to the trouble of forming a new conference, get the 8 best possible to agree and take over the frickin conference.   

then take some steps to get this once nice conference turned around. 

1. boot the bottom feeders (lasalle and fordham come to mind)

2.fire bernadette and hire a new commish that is interested in actually having a top conference that wins, not just expansion for anyone and everyone. 

3.  put in place some minimum standards for the members and any of the members lacking get a promise they will work to getting to those minimums asap (give them a time bomb do it or leave as well).  

those three steps alone will elevate the A-10 back to at least where we were before. initially i wouldnt be too worried about having more than 9 or 11 members.  typically those below that will only bring down the overall ranking of the conference.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

you only need 8 teams in the conference to have a majority.   rather than go to the trouble of forming a new conference, get the 8 best possible to agree and take over the frickin conference.   

2.fire bernadette and hire a new commish that is interested in actually having a top conference that wins, not just expansion for anyone and everyone. 

3.  put in place some minimum standards for the members and any of the members lacking get a promise they will work to getting to those minimums asap (give them a time bomb do it or leave as well).  

those three steps alone will elevate the A-10 back to at least where we were before. initially i wouldnt be too worried about having more than 9 or 11 members.  typically those below that will only bring down the overall ranking of the conference.  

Is there historical precedent for bottom feeders to be booted from any conference?  It seems too cut throatish for an academic institution to do.   I can't recall one, but I don't have the collective memory of this board.

7 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

Is there historical precedent for bottom feeders to be booted from any conference?  It seems too cut throatish for an academic institution to do.   I can't recall one, but I don't have the collective memory of this board.

Didn’t the best teams in CUSA break away to form the American, leaving some of the bottom feeders behind?  Can’t remember the specifics though.

42 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

but it is not cut throatish to take part of the conference and run away to start a new conference originating with just the select members of said conference?   

i am pretty sure if they form a new conference there will be a period of time they will likely not be included in the tournament or limited to the number of teams that can get in the tourney.     

38 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Didn’t the best teams in CUSA break away to form the American, leaving some of the bottom feeders behind?  Can’t remember the specifics though.

Now that I think of it, wasn’t it the football Big East and top teams from CUSA?

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I assume your definition of Bottom Feeders is for Men's Basketball.  What about Women's sports?  The list of past 10 A10 Women's Soccer Tourney champs includes LaSalle twice.  Previous A10 Women's BB champs include Fordham twice, GW three times, and St. Joe.  Fordham has been a solid softball team, winning 9 tourney's since 2011 with GW close behind.

So are you suggesting we dump teams that have strong women's sports?  Are you suggesting the conference only sponsor Men's Basketball?   Just curious.

imo bernadette is to blame.  can there be a less effective commissioner?  what has she done to better the conference?   what has she done to insist the annual bottom feeders improve their athletic department with larger budgets, improved facilities, better coaches?   what has she done to recruit better programs to join our conference?   loyola at best is a mediocre overall athletic program get which appears to be back sliding now that moser went elsewhere.  

Just now, HoosierPal said:

I assume your definition of Bottom Feeders is for Men's Basketball.  What about Women's sports?  The list of past 10 A10 Women's Soccer Tourney champs includes LaSalle twice.  Previous A10 Women's BB champs include Fordham twice, GW three times, and St. Joe.  Fordham has been a solid softball team, winning 9 tourney's since 2011 with GW close behind.

So are you suggesting we dump teams that have strong women's sports?  Are you suggesting the conference only sponsor Men's Basketball?   Just curious.

well i am mainly thinking of the revenue sport(s) that pretty much support the entire athletic program  which is predominately a men's basketball conference.   if lasalle's women's soccer program, fordham, george washington and st joe's women's basketball and Fordham and george washington women's softball, are the main contributor to the revenue for their respective athletic programs, then an exception should be made providing that particular gross athletic department revenue is sufficient to cover the lion's share of the entire athletic budget.   

something has to be done to get all the programs to start trying.