Yuri

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Am I the only one who read between the lines as Covid?

I read between the lines as EXPOSED to Covid.  is SLU still operating like the emergency rooms are full and the bodies are piling up? Wouldn’t surprise me. 

Otherwise why wouldn’t Ford just say he was sick. 

30 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I read between the lines as EXPOSED to Covid.  is SLU still operating like the emergency rooms are full and the bodies are piling up? Wouldn’t surprise me. 

Otherwise why wouldn’t Ford just say he was sick. 

I would have read it that way, but if we're doing "exposed to" then the whole team wouldn't be available if we're operating under the assumption that Pickett came down with it too.

Travis stated pre-season(I have no clue where but you can still quote me, because it's that vivid) that this season would be the first with no restrictions.

Announcers said we had nine scholarship players yesterday.  Pickett.  Okoro.  Jimerson.  Perkins.  Hargrove.  Parker.  Forrester.  Cisse.  Did they then count Hughes  Don't know.  But I don't recall seeing Thames at the game or on the replay today.  Of course, I also wasn't looking for him either.

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Announcers said we had nine scholarship players yesterday.  Pickett.  Okoro.  Jimerson.  Perkins.  Hargrove.  Parker.  Forrester.  Cisse.  Did they then count Hughes  Don't know.  But I don't recall seeing Thames at the game or on the replay today.  Of course, I also wasn't looking for him either.

I wouldn’t believe one word out of those clowns mouths. Thames is still recovering from his car accident and did not make the trip. 

Just now, willie said:

I heard at the woman’s game that it was not Covid but some type of intestinal bug. 

I wouldn't want to play either if my guts decided I needed to empty every few minutes.

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

He looked in fine condition At the GMU game. I heard it described as both, but it didn’t look like anything “serious”. I just know it was a car related incident 

He didn’t look fine if you watched him.  Lots of wincing when he moved his leg.  I thought he must of really injured his leg in practice or something. I didn’t know about the car wreck.  

1 hour ago, Slowry said:

He didn’t look fine if you watched him.  Lots of wincing when he moved his leg.  I thought he must of really injured his leg in practice or something. I didn’t know about the car wreck.  

Let me rephrase. I meant fine as he wasn't injured to the point of needing some sort of assistance moving around. Like he wasn't wearing a cast of any kind or brace or anything that would say "I have serious physical injury"

On 1/15/2023 at 9:47 AM, WVBilliken said:

I agree, SLU is better with Yuri.  But thinking this GW game will make the team better.  I saw much more ball sharing, which is very positive, and could make this team better in the long run.  This team with Yuri could be much better if the ball is in Yuri's hands a little less during the game.  Teams are focusing on him and the other SLU players are standing around waiting for Yuri to make a play.  I really like giving Perkins the ball in space and let him "create" as he did against GW.  Same with Hargrove and Pickett to a lesser extent.  Less dribbling by Yuri = a better team IMO.

I also liked the bigger lineup.  And Hughes, if he can consistently hit the mid-range jumper, that could be a new weapon.  He had a couple jumpers in the lane he missed, thinking he hits those shots as he gets more comfortable.

This may get long winded, so bear with me.

SLU IS BETTER with Yuri, but (especially with a healthy/effective Perkins) we his loss isn't as massive as it would seem based on how much of an impact he has on the game when he is playing.

IMO a big problem with the "less dibbling / less time with the ball in Yuri's hands" stuff is that Yuri isn't a very good player on offense unless the ball is in his hands.  He's phenomenal with the ball.  Without the ball, he's not a good shooter, not a good cutter, and because he's smaller he doesn't have much impact as a screener.  Honestly, when Yuri is in the game, SLU is "easy" to defend & the fact that our offense is still really good speaks to how awesome Yuri is with the ball.

Example - go watch the highlight package from the GW game & see how many top of the key 3 pointers our guys made.  That screen / 3 from the top isn't really an option with Yuri in the game because either he's the one handling the ball up top & he's not going to shoot OR his guy is going to help off him to make it easier to defend the screen that someone else is executing.

There is a similar thing doing on defense.  Yuri is our best on ball defender, but he's also undersized.  That means if we switch screens with Yuri in the game, he get stuck on a big & it's often either an easy bucket or a foul on Yuri.  He's not really effective played in a zone D because he doesn't have the length to be disruptive.  Our 1-3-1   Of course you'd prefer to have your best on ball defender in the game, but not having him in the game opens up more options for us on D.

(Edit: please have mercy on me @Bills By 40, this is not meant to be a knock on Yuri)

Edited by RUBillsFan
HoosierPal and billikenbill like this

6 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

This may get long winded, so bear with me.

SLU IS BETTER with Yuri, but (especially with a healthy/effective Perkins) we his loss isn't as massive as it would seem based on how much of an impact he has on the game when he is playing.

IMO a big problem with the "less dibbling / less time with the ball in Yuri's hands" stuff is that Yuri isn't a very good player on offense unless the ball is in his hands.  He's phenomenal with the ball.  Without the ball, he's not a good shooter, not a good cutter, and because he's smaller he doesn't have much impact as a screener.  Honestly, when Yuri is in the game, SLU is "easy" to defend & the fact that our offense is still really good speaks to how awesome Yuri is with the ball.

Example - go watch the highlight package from the GW game & see how many top of the key 3 pointers our guys made.  That screen / 3 from the top isn't really an option with Yuri in the game because either he's the one handling the ball up top & he's not going to shoot OR his guy is going to help off him to make it easier to defend the screen that someone else is executing.

There is a similar thing doing on defense.  Yuri is our best on ball defender, but he's also undersized.  That means if we switch screens with Yuri in the game, he get stuck on a big & it's often either an easy bucket or a foul on Yuri.  He's not really effective played in a zone D because he doesn't have the length to be disruptive.  Our 1-3-1   Of course you'd prefer to have your best on ball defender in the game, but not having him in the game opens up more options for us on D.

(Edit: please have mercy on me @Bills By 40, this is not meant to be a knock on Yuri)

We're having a completely different conversation if Perkins hadn't risen from the grave and spread the good word yesterday. 

I don't fully disagree with anything you said. I wish we ran a better offense and had better contributions from players across the board but I can only ask for so much. If guys start doing what we expect them to do everything will look better with or without Yuri on the floor. (ESPECIALLY Okoro)

dennis_w and RUBillsFan like this

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-yeah because it is all the time when a 18-19-20 year old moves like they are 90 but they are in fine condition if they do!

Jesus Christ you're splitting hairs on the word "fine". I'm clearly expressing that his injuries clearly did not require hospitalization or were threatening to life or limb.