SLU v. GW GDT; Did you hear about the basketball team that doesn’t have a website?

SluSignGuy

42 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

I was loving the top of the key isos with Perk and Pickett. Doesn’t happen when they’re playing the 3 and 4. I’d like to see that mixed in when Yuri returns.

I can agree with that! It's crazy that we don't try more complicated offensive schemes with the talent on our roster. A lot of Yuri's perceived shortcomings are IMO a direct result of the coaching or lack thereof

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the season we average a turnover on 14.4% of our possessions.  On Saturday it was 10.9% of plays.  That is a big improvement. 

That said,  it was only our 9th most offensively efficient game of the season.  We our a better team with Yuri, especially the way he had been playing on both ends the two games prior to Saturday.  I have had problems with his play at times, but if this team is ever going to be close to what we hoped for we need a healthy Yuri playing smart basketball on both ends.

billiken_roy likes this

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

On the season we average a turnover on 14.4% of our possessions.  On Saturday it was 10.9% of plays.  That is a big improvement. 

That said,  it was only our 9th most offensively efficient game of the season.  We our a better team with Yuri, especially the way he had been playing on both ends the two games prior to Saturday.  I have had problems with his play at times, but if this team is ever going to be close to what we hoped for we need a healthy Yuri playing smart basketball on both ends.

It’s very clear to me that the more Perkins has the ball in his hands the more comfortable he is.  He needs to be initiating offense as a 1B to Yuri’s 1A.  Every handful of possessions put the ball in his hands to make the plays.  I think when he’s consistently off the ball and only touching it a few times per game he gets out of sync.  He’s very much a rhythm scorer and they need to put him in the drivers seat like he was on Saturday.  He has the ability to completely carry you offensively 

1 hour ago, Fraz said:

It’s very clear to me that the more Perkins has the ball in his hands the more comfortable he is.  He needs to be initiating offense as a 1B to Yuri’s 1A.  Every handful of possessions put the ball in his hands to make the plays.  I think when he’s consistently off the ball and only touching it a few times per game he gets out of sync.  He’s very much a rhythm scorer and they need to put him in the drivers seat like he was on Saturday.  He has the ability to completely carry you offensively 

There is something to this.  Most players get in a rhythm with more touches.  On the flip side, Perkins used to go off on offense without touching the ball or handling it much at all.  It was all elbow jumpers off curls and 3 pointers.  He'd have 17 points in a game and have dibbled the ball 12 times or something crazy like that.  I think the bigger factor is Perkins just being healthy again and finding his confidence again.

billiken_roy likes this