Home Cooking

WVBilliken

Just took a peek at the A10 standings and noticed that EVERY team in the conference has a winning home record.  Even the "weak sisters" of the league have a winning home record.

On the other hand, I found it amazing that EVERY A10 team also has a losing road record.  Not a single team in a 15 team league can manage a winning road record?

I know fans will claim "home cooking" by the referees, but that can't be the only reason.  Good teams should be able to win more on the road than they lose.  Is this league so bad that not one team can manage a winning road record?

Well the win against GM was not due to home cooking  I think it is just difficult to win on the road period no matter what conference you are in.  I do know that a study was done a couple of yeas ago that showed that home teams do get more foul shots by a decent amount and that could very well influence the game so then it could be home cooking.

I think a huge factor is how lighting and background affect depth perception and confidence. I remember , more than once, taking a first warm up shot at an away game. It felt good, thought it was going in....airball. Even as a kid leaving your neighborhood to play at a different playground, the rims were too hard, too high, didn't have nets, or even worse, chain nets.

40 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Just took a peek at the A10 standings and noticed that EVERY team in the conference has a winning home record.  Even the "weak sisters" of the league have a winning home record.

On the other hand, I found it amazing that EVERY A10 team also has a losing road record.  Not a single team in a 15 team league can manage a winning road record?

I know fans will claim "home cooking" by the referees, but that can't be the only reason.  Good teams should be able to win more on the road than they lose.  Is this league so bad that not one team can manage a winning road record?

Home court has a huge impact across all of college basketball. I’ve always wondered why it seems to be a much bigger advantage in college basketball than it is in other sports or even the NBA. I’m sure there’s a more detailed answer than just home cooking. 

1 minute ago, zman said:

I think a huge factor is how lighting and background affect depth perception and confidence. I remember , more than once, taking a first warm up shot at an away game. It felt good, thought it was going in....airball. Even as a kid leaving your neighborhood to play at a different playground, the rims were too hard, too high, didn't have nets, or even worse, chain nets.

Why the chain net slander?!

in all seriousness, this is probably the answer. But then I see teams roll into Chaifetz and shoot the lights out and I’m confused again. But that might just be a product of a Travis Ford coached team

In a home and away series, the point swing range can be anywhere from 3-12 pts. ...i.e. home field advantage to home field advantage.  That is quite a spread  for conference play. I think the thing that is different this year is parity. ( an ongoing trend that is becoming more noticeable every year). In a number of conferences (A-10 included)  this means there is less difference from top to bottom. The bottom teams are better and the top teams have faded back closer to the pack. This phenomenon leads to closer games.   When you factor in 3-12 pts on home and away point swings, you are going to have more home wins then in the past. 

4 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Why the chain net slander?!

in all seriousness, this is probably the answer. But then I see teams roll into Chaifetz and shoot the lights out and I’m confused again. But that might just be a product of a Travis Ford coached team

I was going to say the same thing.

Chain nets were/are awesome!

4 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I was going to say the same thing.

Chain nets were/are awesome!

My parents disallowed them on our hoop because they claimed it ruined the basketballs.  Is there any truth to this?  I’ve wondered this for years

3 minutes ago, Fraz said:

My parents disallowed them on our hoop because they claimed it ruined the basketballs.  Is there any truth to this?  I’ve wondered this for years

Take your basketball and lightly run a cheese grater over it a few hundred times. I bet it looks a little worn afterwards. 

11 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Home court has a huge impact across all of college basketball. I’ve always wondered why it seems to be a much bigger advantage in college basketball than it is in other sports or even the NBA. I’m sure there’s a more detailed answer than just home cooking. 

There was some research done a few years back that concluded the biggest factor in home-court advantage was the crowd influencing the officials. The idea being that the reason there seems to be a greater impact in basketball and baseball than say hockey or soccer is there are more potential judgement calls made by the refs/umps throughout the contest.

11 hours ago, eselyou_fan said:

Basketballs can play a big role on home court advantage in NCAA games. Home teams have their favorite brands - it can take a while to get used to the ball. 

leagues use a standard ball, most use the wilson as does the ncaa, dont know what a-10 uses

On 1/14/2023 at 9:36 PM, dennis_w said:

leagues use a standard ball, most use the wilson as does the ncaa, dont know what a-10 uses

For the longest time Wisconsin under Bo Ryan used Sterling basketballs at home and were the only program in the country. It was always discussed as a reason they had such a good home winning percentage

dennis_w likes this

On 1/14/2023 at 8:17 AM, WVBilliken said:

The 'blers are proving you wrong.

So, did Duke get screwed?  Home cooking in Blacksburg?  13 seconds left in the game, and this is a no-call.  Duke lost by 3. The refs ruled that since Collins didn't intend to strike Filipowski, it wasn't worth whistling him for a flagrant foul.  If this were the Billikens rather than Duke, do you feel the same?

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So, did Duke get screwed?  Home cooking in Blacksburg?  13 seconds left in the game, and this is a no-call.  Duke lost by 3. The refs ruled that since Collins didn't intend to strike Filipowski, it wasn't worth whistling him for a flagrant foul.  If this were the Billikens rather than Duke, do you feel the same?

Intentional or not, closed fist to the throat is not only a flagrant but an ejection IMO. You just can't get away with that and ESPECIALLY NOT in those circumstances.  

HoosierPal likes this

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I also never realized intent was part of determining a flagrant?   Like there have been a number of times where someone accidentally catches a guy with an elbow and that was a flagrant.  Exhibit number 1,289 that NCAA officials are too inconsistent for their own good.