Yuri For Player Coach

mrjoelabs

9 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

Yuri showed us tonight that without Ford hollering at him he can run some amazing offense.  Good call by Tate to let him go.  I vote he runs the team for the rest of the year. 

Also nice Okoro resurrection 

..... You watched the same game right.... Yuri had multiple bad turnovers and plays down the stretch.

Odd game for you to say this about.

billiken_roy likes this

12 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

Yuri showed us tonight that without Ford hollering at him he can run some amazing offense.  Good call by Tate to let him go.  I vote he runs the team for the rest of the year. 

The same yuri who drove late against bigs who dominated the game and got swatted? Not hating on yuri tonignt, you could have used the thread name with Gibby and it works better 

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

..... You watched the same game right.... Yuri had multiple bad turnovers and plays down the stretch.

Odd game for you to say this about.

Yuri was directly responsible for our final 9 points over the last 2+ minutes, without Yuri we lose that game. He took over on that court tonight when it looked like it was over, even waved off the coaches calling a timeout at the end before drawing the late foul and hitting the game winner.

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, mrjoelabs said:

Bad post.

10 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Yuri was directly responsible for our final 9 points over the last 2+ minutes, without Yuri we lose that game. He took over on that court tonight when it looked like it was over, even waved off the coaches calling a timeout at the end before drawing the late foul and hitting the game winner.

I don't have time to breakdown the final 5 minutes right now but maybe I will later. He made quite a few bad decisions in the second half. Not saying he didn't come through when he needed to. But he's had better performances and for troll labs to come back and use this performance as his positive post is strange.

17 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I don't have time to breakdown the final 5 minutes right now but maybe I will later. He made quite a few bad decisions in the second half. Not saying he didn't come through when he needed to. But he's had better performances and for troll labs to come back and use this performance as his positive post is strange.

I agree on labs... And Yuri made a couple mistakes just prior to the 9-0 final run, specifically the drive into the lane to get his zero chance shot blocked and his bad pass when double teamed....he immediately made up for both of those with great defensive plays, taking the charge on the other end and then deflecting a pass. But like you said, when he needed to take over and make things happen he did the job and did it well. Something we haven't seen much of at the end of games this season.

18 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I went back and logged the big “Yuri-involved moments”. Starting at 5:09 left:

4:52 - Yuri hits a mid range jumper, puts us up 54-53

4:27 - Off a GMU miss, Yuri tries to save the ball under our own basket, throws it away and leads directly to Mason triple. 58-54 Mason 

3:44 - Yuri dribbles into a trap spot just across half court, ends up throwing it away.  However, he gets back and takes a charge on ensuing fast break from Oduro

3:31 - Yuri drives and forces a layup attempt, gets blocked.

2:47 - Gibby throws a pass to Yuri (pretty bad pass), and Yuri can’t handle it.  Leads to GMU going up 62-54.

2:02 - Yuri hits TJ for the first big 3. Pick and pop, pretty fundamental play.  62-57

1:34 - Yuri attacks off of missed three in transition, hits Gibby for corner 3. 62-60

50.2 - Yuri hits Gibby on back door cut for game tying layup.  62-62.

28.0 - Yuri crashes the defensive boards, gets the rebound, allows us to get the last shot…and we all know the rest.  

So…on the whole, I think Yuri had a more positive last 5 mins than I originally thought.  Some bad turnovers and a bad shot, but overall he had 3 big assists down the stretch.  And that defensive board can’t be overlooked either.

2 hours ago, laker119 said:

I went back and logged the big “Yuri-involved moments”. Starting at 5:09 left:

4:52 - Yuri hits a mid range jumper, puts us up 54-53

4:27 - Off a GMU miss, Yuri tries to save the ball under our own basket, throws it away and leads directly to Mason triple. 58-54 Mason 

3:44 - Yuri dribbles into a trap spot just across half court, ends up throwing it away.  However, he gets back and takes a charge on ensuing fast break from Oduro

3:31 - Yuri drives and forces a layup attempt, gets blocked.

2:47 - Gibby throws a pass to Yuri (pretty bad pass), and Yuri can’t handle it.  Leads to GMU going up 62-54.

2:02 - Yuri hits TJ for the first big 3. Pick and pop, pretty fundamental play.  62-57

1:34 - Yuri attacks off of missed three in transition, hits Gibby for corner 3. 62-60

50.2 - Yuri hits Gibby on back door cut for game tying layup.  62-62.

28.0 - Yuri crashes the defensive boards, gets the rebound, allows us to get the last shot…and we all know the rest.  

So…on the whole, I think Yuri had a more positive last 5 mins than I originally thought.  Some bad turnovers and a bad shot, but overall he had 3 big assists down the stretch.  And that defensive board can’t be overlooked either.

Good breakdown. He may of got the LeBron treatment from me. Starting to expect him to be flawless and picking on his few mistakes while expecting his great plays. 

Bills By 40 likes this

To say the team played better with Ford ejected is silly.  He got the phantom second T when we had just taken the lead and were on a run.  The T took all the momentum away that we had - probably the best thing GM could have had happen.  As far as how well things went at the end we were very fortunate that GM got frustrated and missed several shots which was the only way we came back.  Did Yuri have a hand in that comeback of course but so did Gibby and TJH.  The defense got tighter and that led to GM missing shots or making turnovers.  That time out after Yuri hit the one FT was just dumb.  GM had used up all their time outs trying to ice Yuri and set up the last play.  Yuri hits one FT and Tate calls a time out giving GM a chance to change their plans.  GM had no time outs left so once Yuri makes the one FT it would have been a helter skelter throw in by GM and the issue with Francis would not have had to even happen.  I would have hoped Ford would not have made that mistake.  That time out damn near cost us the game.  We were just damn lucky to win.

cgeldmacher likes this

9 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

It was one of his best stretches of play all year. With Travis in the locker room...

Right before we scored the last 10 points of the game, George Mason scored 9 consecutive points.  I assume that you would blame that 9 point run on Ford not being there for his team, and then claim that our 10 point run was also because Ford wasn't out there.  You're a broken record.

billiken_roy and slufanskip like this

16 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

You're a broken record.

And we're talking like one of those 45s that got so played out that your parents didn't care if you destroyed it further in  your Kenner Close and Play record player.  I can still hear Paul Mccartney, whining about being a walrus on a three inch speaker, skipping ahead and back over the cracks......

cgeldmacher likes this