A-10 Refereeing

gobillsgo

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

What is your solution?   Easy to point out an issue.  Difficult to solve the problem.

The solution is having more evaluation done and more data given to the refs about their performance.  I truly believe that most refs go into every game with the goal of being fair and getting calls right.  It is my understanding that in the professional ranks, in each sport, refs gets communication after a game to tell them what they got right and what they got wrong.  This helps them adjust their calls and fine tune themselves toward getting more calls right.

I would try to do the same for these college refs.  Perhaps an entrepenuer out there can come up with a company that, for a reasonable charge, gives refs feedback after each game.  This could be built into the cost of the game just like the refs pay.  Also, give teams the opportunity to send in a complaint about a refs performance.  If a team complains about a refs performance at particular game, and in depth look is taken.  The outcome is not the ref getting fired or fined, but just and independent evaluation that tells the guy "you did just fine, the team is wrong," or "you were really bad that game and here is why."  The more information these refs have, the better they will be.

Then, if you have a ref that is consistently getting graded poorly by the independent evaluators, that ref can be identified and weeded out, although I would expect this to be the rare exception and definitely not the rule.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i do not know.   i am thinking they do.   hightower had his own plane and used to fly to his games and thus said he rarely had to spend the night.   hightower was also the head administrator at Edwardsville high school so one can imagine the coin he was putting away between both well paid gigs.

He also eventually became the Superintendent.   A friend of mine wife was his right hand person and he was gone a lot - I mean a lot.

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

This kind of behavior is unfortunately very common at the youth level, where it’s often kids themselves doing the reffing.   Really sad that the guy would choose to leave rather than just stop himself from hurling verbal abuse at a child. 

I am not sure what he was told by the coach.  The coach may have had his fill of him because I am sure this was the usual thing that he did so the coach may have just told him to leave.   I didn't hear what the other parents said but I could see them standing up and looking and talking to the guy and you could tell they were in agreement with the coach.

One of the big problems with college basketball refereeing is how the officials are assigned.  Each conference in the multiple alliances around the country has director of officiating.  That person, along with whatever alliance their conference is in assigns the officials to specific games.  The person from each conference in charge of officiating  almost always runs their own basketball referee camps where they make money for themselves "training" and "evaluating" refs.  They charge refs $600 to $1,000 to attend these camps.  If you want to work in a conference you better attend the conference's directors camp at least a couple of times prior to getting assigned any games and then continue to go to them annually to continue getting assigned games.  If you want to ref D2 or D3 games to get experience, you better go to the camps because these alliances have brought in D2 and D3 conferences as sort of minor leagues for refs and the D1 conference directors get to assign the refs to those lower level conference games.  So the refs who get assigned games aren't always the best refs, but the refs who are willing to line the conference officiating directors pockets by attending their camps.

7 hours ago, brianstl said:

One of the big problems with college basketball refereeing is how the officials are assigned.  Each conference in the multiple alliances around the country has director of officiating.  That person, along with whatever alliance their conference is in assigns the officials to specific games.  The person from each conference in charge of officiating  almost always runs their own basketball referee camps where they make money for themselves "training" and "evaluating" refs.  They charge refs $600 to $1,000 to attend these camps.  If you want to work in a conference you better attend the conference's directors camp at least a couple of times prior to getting assigned any games and then continue to go to them annually to continue getting assigned games.  If you want to ref D2 or D3 games to get experience, you better go to the camps because these alliances have brought in D2 and D3 conferences as sort of minor leagues for refs and the D1 conference directors get to assign the refs to those lower level conference games.  So the refs who get assigned games aren't always the best refs, but the refs who are willing to line the conference officiating directors pockets by attending their camps.

Isn't that how it always is unfortunately

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35441428/nba-last-two-minute-report-cites-7-missed-calls-lakers-mavs

NBA's Last Two Minute Report cites 7 missed calls in Lakers-Mavs

No need to read the article, just the headline. NBA publishes Last 2 Min reports for all close games.  Seven missed calls in 2 minutes.

No need to bring NBA refs down to the A10.  I'm all for the players calling their own fouls.