A-10 Refereeing

gobillsgo

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, rhagolf said:

Conference geography has a lot to do with this recurring problem. SLU is the farthest-west of the members. As such, "East-Coast bias" is a certainty. Most of the zebras are visiting St. Louis with chips on their shoulders.

Maybe but it's not like the refs are all based on the East Coast.  At least we have a freaking airport and good roads.  Don't have to take a mule train like you do to garden spots like Manhattan KS.... 

17 minutes ago, rhagolf said:

Conference geography has a lot to do with this recurring problem. SLU is the farthest-west of the members. As such, "East-Coast bias" is a certainty. Most of the zebras are visiting St. Louis with chips on their shoulders.

Be careful, you’ll be branded a conspiracy theorist for saying this.   

A10 refs having east coast bias is up there with the moon landing faking, chemtrails, and Elvis and Hitler still being alive. 

5 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Be careful, you’ll be branded a conspiracy theorist for saying this.   

A10 refs having east coast bias is up there with the moon landing faking, chemtrails, and Elvis and Hitler still being alive. 

You mean Elvis is not alive. 

22 minutes ago, willie said:

You mean Elvis is not alive. 

if he was, he would have came out of hiding when lisa married MJ

2 hours ago, rhagolf said:

I think you're on the right track but not that its a chip on their shoulders. We just see different referees in St Louis than in Olean, NYC, etc. Most of these refs are driving around, collecting their game checks, and reducing their expense as much as possible. A few of the big dogs will fly across the country to do games but the majority of A10 level guys are driving. Dudes based in the Carolinas aren't driving to St Louis to do a game. So while guys out there are refereeing ACC/A10/Colonial, we see the guys reffing BIg 12/10/MVC a lot. There are definitely different styles and biases to those styles. 

cgeldmacher likes this

6 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I think you're on the right track but not that its a chip on their shoulders. We just see different referees in St Louis than in Olean, NYC, etc. Most of these refs are driving around, collecting their game checks, and reducing their expense as much as possible. A few of the big dogs will fly across the country to do games but the majority of A10 level guys are driving. Dudes based in the Carolinas aren't driving to St Louis to do a game. So while guys out there are refereeing ACC/A10/Colonial, we see the guys reffing BIg 12/10/MVC a lot. There are definitely different styles and biases to those styles. 

I’d say if they’re big 12 guys maybe they have history with Ford, and that’s why we seemingly get shafted so often. 

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Ford said he didn’t know the crew from last night??  

I couldn’t tell from my seats up too why it kept taking so long for Ford to leave the floor last night, but when I watched on the broadcast today, I saw it was because Ford kept stopping and turning around to glare at the refs. 

5 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Consistency is vital. As long as a ref is consistent in a game and calls/doesn’t call everything the same way to both teams, they’re fine as far as I am concerned 

They were consistent yesterday, consistently terrible. As bad as they were letting Oduro get away with everything, they repeatedly let Okoro and Forrester get away with a ton of fouls inside and moving screens. 

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

10 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I couldn’t tell from my seats up too why it kept taking so long for Ford to leave the floor last night, but when I watched on the broadcast today, I saw it was because Ford kept stopping and turning around to glare at the refs. 

My crew was begging for him to retaliate. Yelling "sock him" and "throw a chair!!" and the way he took his exit we thought there was a chance lol. 

I don't care who you are, had Ford clocked Rogaine square in the face it would've been 1) justified and 2) an all-time memorable college basketball moment

gobillsgo likes this

9 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

My crew was begging for him to retaliate. Yelling "sock him" and "throw a chair!!" and the way he took his exit we thought there was a chance lol. 

I don't care who you are, had Ford clocked Rogaine square in the face it would've been 1) justified and 2) an all-time memorable college basketball moment

Would’ve gained Ford some much needed support too lol

2 hours ago, rhagolf said:

Then Loyola is in trouble too.

26 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I’d say if they’re big 12 guys maybe they have history with Ford, and that’s why we seemingly get shafted so often. 

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Ford said he didn’t know the crew from last night??  

I didn’t know the crew from last night. Usually you recognize one or two of the officials ,but not last night. In fact it seems to me we have seen a lot of new officials this year. Wonder if the A-10 has a new agreement with a new group. Where are the Welmer O’Neil Rucker Higgins Sancer and Valentines when you need them. 

3 hours ago, willie said:

I didn’t know the crew from last night. Usually you recognize one or two of the officials ,but not last night. In fact it seems to me we have seen a lot of new officials this year. Wonder if the A-10 has a new agreement with a new group. Where are the Welmer O’Neil Rucker Higgins Sancer and Valentines when you need them. 

The bald guy has done our games before.

15 hours ago, JMM28 said:

I think you're on the right track but not that it’s a chip on their shoulders. We just see different referees in St Louis than in Olean, NYC, etc. Most of these refs are driving around, collecting their game checks, and reducing their expense as much as possible. A few of the big dogs will fly across the country to do games but the majority of A10 level guys are driving. Dudes based in the Carolinas aren't driving to St Louis to do a game. So while guys out there are refereeing ACC/A10/Colonial, we see the guys reffing BIg 12/10/MVC a lot. There are definitely different styles and biases to those styles. 

The A-10 is in officiating alliance with the ACC, Big East Conference, CAA, Big South, Ivy, Northeast, MEAC, America East, and MAAC. The refs we get at home are doing a lot of Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, Butler, Xavier, Louisville and Notre Dame home games.

JMM28 likes this

51 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The A-10 is in officiating alliance with the ACC, Big East Conference, CAA, Big South, Ivy, Northeast, MEAC, America East, and MAAC. The refs we get at home are doing a lot of Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, Butler, Xavier, Louisville and Notre Dame home games.

I'm glad you posted this.  I knew of the alliance, but it has grown since I last heard.  When posters complaint about the A10 officials, they don't realize that these are also ACC/Big East etc. officials.  So, who do you want to officiate your games? High school refs?  Look at the NBA games, they issue 2-minute reports on close games, and always list multiple missed calls.  Last night's Lakers/Mavs game shows mistakes are made at every level.   

How about having the players call the fouls on each other, like what is done on the outside courts? 

There is a growing lack of officials in all levels.  It's very easy to complain, but no one wants to pick up a whistle and try officiating.    

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm glad you posted this.  I knew of the alliance, but it has grown since I last heard.  When posters complaint about the A10 officials, they don't realize that these are also ACC/Big East etc. officials.  So, who do you want to officiate your games? High school refs?  Look at the NBA games, they issue 2-minute reports on close games, and always list multiple missed calls.  Last night's Lakers/Mavs game shows mistakes are made at every level.   

How about having the players call the fouls on each other, like what is done on the outside courts? 

There is a growing lack of officials in all levels.  It's very easy to complain, but no one wants to pick up a whistle and try officiating.    

It’s definitely a thankless job. But it’s also the career path they chose. No one forced them into reffing. They should be held accountable for poor performance just the same as any other occupation. 

I’ll never feel bad for refs at SLU games, because as a whole, our fan base is definitely on the more tame side.  It has to get really bad before the majority of people are on the refs. Watch a Mizzou or Dayton home game. One questionable call against the home team and the entire arena is up in arms.  I took more abuse reffing 7th and 8th grade CYC for $16/game than refs at Chaifetz get.