A-10 Refereeing

gobillsgo

It needs to be addressed. Call it a conspiracy or what you want, it’s happening repeatedly, and tonight was the worst it’s been.   We’ve never gotten a fair shake from the refs in this conference. 

We need our crowd to get into it a little bit more. If the refs called it that way against the home team at VCU or Dayton, they’d have had to stop the game. It was that bad, and 90% of the lower bowl never got out of their seats. 

I don’t know what Travis did or said to get tossed… it seems like the answer is he didn’t actually do anything.  But I was coming here to post my support for Travis tonight win or lose, and most here probably know I am no Travis supporter.  

This is the first time this season that I can honestly say I’m proud of Travis and the guys. They played 5 on 8 from the tip (how did the possession arrow go to them after the tip went out of bounds?!).  We got a W that the refs and league clearly didn’t want us to have.  And before anyone says anything, I don’t want to hear any ref defense because of the final possession foul called for Yuri.  The bald ref had one of the worst individual reffing performances I’ve ever seen, and one final call doesn’t exonerate him. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

It needs to be addressed. Call it a conspiracy or what you want, it’s happening repeatedly, and tonight was the worst it’s been.   We’ve never gotten a fair shake from the refs in this conference. 

We need our crowd to get into it a little bit more. If the refs called it that way against the home team at VCU or Dayton, they’d have had to stop the game. It was that bad, and 90% of the lower bowl never got out of their seats. 

I don’t know what Travis did or said to get tossed… it seems like the answer is he didn’t actually do anything.  But I was coming here to post my support for Travis tonight win or lose, and most here probably know I am no Travis supporter.  

This is the first time this season that I can honestly say I’m proud of Travis and the guys. They played 5 on 8 from the tip (how did the possession arrow go to them after the tip went out of bounds?!).  We got a W that the refs and league clearly didn’t want us to have.  And before anyone says anything, I don’t want to hear any ref defense because of the final possession foul called for Yuri.  The bald ref had one of the worst individual reffing performances I’ve ever seen, and one final call doesn’t exonerate him. 

@laker119 We talked about this. Just basic refereeing. There's no way hargrove had possession if he grabbed the ball out of bounds... How did no one else catch that...

2 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

@laker119 We talked about this. Just basic refereeing. There's no way hargrove had possession if he grabbed the ball out of bounds... How did no one else catch that...

Nate and I couldn’t believe it.  Someone from the bench ran down to the scorer’s table to (presumably) ask about it, and whatever the answer was, I guess they were satisfied. Refs must’ve ruled Hargrove somehow had possession as he was falling out of bounds. Those calls matter when it comes down to a 1 point game. 

2 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Nate and I couldn’t believe it.  Someone from the bench ran down to the scorer’s table to (presumably) ask about it, and whatever the answer was, I guess they were satisfied. Refs must’ve ruled Hargrove somehow had possession as he was falling out of bounds. Those calls matter when it comes down to a 1 point game. 

If I remember right, you know who made that possession arrow determination?  Rogaine himself.  

41 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Still want to know what Ford did on that second T.

From what Travis is saying, he was yelling at his own guys to get back on D. Which makes sense, we had just scored when he got the T. The timing was super weird…. It was at least a full possession and a half after the egregious Oduro travel no call. Sounds like the refs were overly sensitive after realizing they blew it on that one. 

43 minutes ago, laker119 said:

If I remember right, you know who made that possession arrow determination?  Rogaine himself.  

I’m always gonna be critical of the refs that do this for a living… these aren’t CYC or High School guys that are doing this for the love of the game. These guys are professional refs that do this for a living. And for one referee to be as horrific as Rogaine (shiny head bald ref) was in this game truly warrants an investigation.  I’d say he individually influenced the game by 10 points… for reference, Tim Donaghy said he could influence a game 6 points either way on a good night. 

MattyMo213 and JMM28 like this

1 hour ago, laker119 said:

I wondered about it at the time but after everything else that happened tonight I forgot about it. I had assumed that we had the arrow until I looked up at the scoreboard a bit later. I've seen guys knock a ball out of bounds on the tip and I've NEVER seen their team denied the arrow.

Those refs tonight put on a sh!t show.

8 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

They weren't satisfied they simply had no recourse.  They got an answer but doesn't mean they liked it.  Even the official working the scoreboard initially gave the possession arrow to SLU so he was confused

7 minutes ago, dlarry said:

LOL 

That is as bad of a no call as you’ll ever see.

Somebody in the comments said Franco fouled Oduro...I mean, Odruo took like 8 or 9 steps before Franco got close enough to touch him 

It’s not just an A10 problem. It’s nationwide. Refs work way too many games. There’s no overarching organization to hold them accountable. Worst case is a guy like Bret Smith gets suspended by the A10 so he just goes and works MVC or Big12 games. And then comes back to the A10 game and holds his personal bias. 

These guys are getting paid minimum 2000 a game for an A10 game. It’s ridiculous that there’s no accountability. They hopped in their cars after the game and drove off to wreak havoc on some OVC game tonight. 

Just now, JMM28 said:

It’s not just an A10 problem. It’s nationwide. Refs work way too many games. There’s no overarching organization to hold them accountable. Worst case is a guy like Bret Smith gets suspended by the A10 so he just goes and works MVC or Big12 games. And then comes back to the A10 game and holds his personal bias. 

I think the biggest problem is that it’s hard. Really really hard.
Refs were missing calls 30 years ago. The speed of the game is 10 times what it was then. These guys move so fast it’s almost impossible to see everything. 

The other big problem is ego. That’s what we witnessed last night. One ref got his feelings hurt and he let it effect how he called the game. 

4 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Somebody in the comments said Franco fouled Oduro...I mean, Odruo took like 8 or 9 steps before Franco got close enough to touch him 

There were several others almost as bad. 
Oduro is a player but when he is a protected species he becomes unstoppable.

I looked up with about 7 minutes to go and he hadn’t committed a foul yet. How is that possible for a big man who was that involved in the game?

38 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Refs were missing calls 30 years ago. The speed of the game is 10 times what it was then. These guys move so fast it’s almost impossible to see everything. 

The other big problem is ego. That’s what we witnessed last night. One ref got his feelings hurt and he let it affect how he called the game. 

This is hitting the nail on the head. With the speed and strength of today’s athletes, officiating has never been harder.  Another issue is the constant rule changes and “points of emphasis” that are supposed to help but actually make things worse and more complicated.  

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

The other big problem is ego. That’s what we witnessed last night. One ref got his feelings hurt and he let it effect how he called the game. 

The second half of your post is where the main problem lies. Most people, especially SLU fans, can forgive a few missed calls.  It’s when the rules are applied differently for one team vs the other.  It really seemed like they were trying to bait Ford with their calls, it was that bad. And they seemed to enjoy the crowd getting on them. The bald ref made it personal, and really only called the Yuri shooting foul at the end out of a sense of self-preservation, I imagine. 

I’m sure whoever grades the refs for the A10 (if anyone) will give them high scores for keeping the game close and protecting the precious Oduro.   They’ll get booked for more A10 games.  A helpful tip for the three stooges:  I wouldn’t play your little “screw the home team” game at Dayton or VCU.  They aren’t as nice as SLU fans. 

JMM28, BC1764, laker119 and 3 others like this

1 hour ago, MattyMo213 said:

GM’s horrific FT shooting was a saving grace. I guess ball really don’t lie 

Shockingly, GMU only needed to make 2 more FTs to hit their season average. If the rules would've been applied evenly in last night's game, they wouldn't have had 23 attempts. 

17 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I think most fans and. coaches just want to see consistency during the game. You'll always have refs who call tighter or looser and you can adapt to that - as long as it is consistent. 

Consistency is vital. As long as a ref is consistent in a game and calls/doesn’t call everything the same way to both teams, they’re fine as far as I am concerned 

drkelsey55 likes this