Hargrove's Story

HoosierPal

18 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-very brave for TJH to make this public, I hope he wasn't reading this site and that contributed to his feelings but I am very happy he is in a better place

Regrettably, I would be surprised if this site did not contribute in some way.

Hargrove didn’t miss practices or games, but his head was not clear of the distractions, which he said included negativity expressed about him from the outside.

I have seen lots of posts saying Hargrove was not given enough minutes, but I do not recall much saying he was not capable. However, I have a lot of people on ignore so I cannot judge what they said about Hargrove. Hargrove and Parker are two of my favorite players in the team.

Hargrove is my daughter's favorite player.  He is way up there for me as well (Thatch is my favorite).  I also am glad he is sharing his experience and letting people know that it can happen to anyone (even someone with as much going for them as this young man).

I love TJ.  I don't think I've ever said anything disparaging about any Billiken athlete not named Diener.   I think this is further evidence that social media is poison and is destroying the world.   If you get five messages telling you, "you are great" and one saying that "you cant defend a statue," you will focus on the negative one.   Its human nature.  

Spoon-Balls likes this

23 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

I love TJ.  I don't think I've ever said anything disparaging about any Billiken athlete not named Diener.   I think this is further evidence that social media is poison and is destroying the world.   If you get five messages telling you, "you are great" and one saying that "you cant defend a statue," you will focus on the negative one.   Its human nature.  

This is so true. We give the players a lot of love but I'm sure they'll remember the one negative more than the ten positives. It's where we are as humanity and most of us are the same. TJ, I hope you're not reading this, but if you are, know that you and all of the players are loved. 

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

37 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

This is so true. We give the players a lot of love but I'm sure they'll remember the one negative more than the ten positives. It's where we are as humanity and most of us are the same. TJ, I hope you're not reading this, but if you are, know that you and all of the players are loved. 

1 hour ago, OkieBilliken said:

McBroom is a (alleged) scam artist. If anyone is looking for a punching bag, he's easy to find on social media. Yell at him. 

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

McBroom is a (alleged) scam artist. If anyone is looking for a punching bag, he's easy to find on social media. Yell at him. 

Lol Austin McBroom's trajectory is one of the oddest Billiken stories ever.

Fraz likes this

1 hour ago, OkieBilliken said:

I love TJ.  I don't think I've ever said anything disparaging about any Billiken athlete not named Diener..

Probably safe to say now, but there was a 'bit of a rumor that Diener used to post on the board while he was a player. [I do not have evidence of this though]

In the smallest of small world things, my sister (now in Milwaukee) used to be in a book club with Drew's wife.

2 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

Regrettably, I would be surprised if this site did not contribute in some way.

Shame on any of us MBMs who may have trashed TJ or any of our players.  They are 18 to 23 years old young men, who are impressionable.  Some of them have more natural ability than others.  They all have rigorous schedules for both academics and basketball.  None of them need to see themselves trashed on a message board because we feel that the team is not performing up to our expectations.  As for TJ himself, he has great athleticism and always plays hard.  When he is not on the court, he is one of our best cheerleaders from the bench.  I give him all the credit in the world for coming forth with his struggles.  You are in my prayers TJ.

billikenbill and rgbilliken like this

24 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

Shame on any of us MBMs who may have trashed TJ or any of our players.  They are 18 to 23 years old young men, who are impressionable.  Some of them have more natural ability than others.  They all have rigorous schedules for both academics and basketball.  None of them need to see themselves trashed on a message board because we feel that the team is not performing up to our expectations.  As for TJ himself, he has great athleticism and always plays hard.  When he is not on the court, he is one of our best cheerleaders from the bench.  I give him all the credit in the world for coming forth with his struggles.  You are in my prayers TJ.

The one thing I’ll say that’s slightly devils advocate is that there’s a difference between discussing the team and players in a critical manner ie: man TJ just hasn’t developed the way we’d hoped or TJ struggling to hold onto the ball and “TJ you fuoking stink man”. Any one of those things could have caused his pain. 2 of the 3 I would call acceptable. 

GDTs are another issue all together. It’s a bunch of overdramatic heat of the moment posts but they stay there forever. Nobody thinks to delete them. @SluSignGuywhat do you think about deleting GDT an hour after the games and creating PGT. Idk workshopping on the fly here.

let’s also not jump to conclusions as to the extent of this website and Billiken twitter played. Remember that TJ has had ESL heaping praise and pressure on his back for probably 10-15 years now. That weighs too. 

SLU_Nick likes this

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The one thing I’ll say that’s slightly devils advocate is that there’s a difference between discussing the team and players in a critical manner ie: man TJ just hasn’t developed the way we’d hoped or TJ struggling to hold onto the ball and “TJ you fuoking stink man”. Any one of those things could have caused his pain. 2 of the 3 I would call acceptable. 

GDTs are another issue all together. It’s a bunch of overdramatic heat of the moment posts but they stay there forever. Nobody thinks to delete them. @SluSignGuywhat do you think about deleting GDT an hour after the games and creating PGT. Idk workshopping on the fly here.

let’s also not jump to conclusions as to the extent of this website and Billiken twitter played. Remember that TJ has had ESL heaping praise and pressure on his back for probably 10-15 years now. That weighs too. 

Totally agree that the GDTs are a cesspool of terrible overreactions in the moment.  Sometimes, I won't read them if we are losing or if we have lost.

27 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

18-23 year old men fought and won World War II.  I don't recall anyone trashing TJ any worse than anyone else.  There was mainly speculation as to why he isn't playing more despite his obvious athleticism.  Depression is not necessarily caused MBM speculation.  It's an illness.   

I want to add to this that Hargrove's depression may have something to do with Ford. Ford was severely limiting his playing time and in some games he would yank him out of the court when Hargrove was having a hot run. Never underestimate how important the relationship of a player with his coach may be.

Just now, Old guy said:

I want to add to this that Hargrove's depression may have something to do with Ford. Ford was severely limiting his playing time and in some games he would yank him out of the court when Hargrove was having a hot run. Never underestimate how important the relationship of a player with his coach may be.

Did Ford also cause the war in Ukraine?  Global Warming?  The Joker's pregnancy?