Coach's Show with Rammer, Jan 9 & 23, Feb 6, 13

HoosierPal

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent summary. Just want to note that it was Rammer who said he wouldn’t be referring to LHJ as “Junior” on the broadcasts anymore. TBH, I’m not exactly sure the point he was trying to make there.

54 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Started at the beginning of the season.  The Portal makes coming into a season an entirely new element.  Some teams are almost totally transfers.  Basketball is seeing a huge change.  Difficult to manage a roster year to year, getting difficult to prepare for the future.  Seeing the effect this season.  Entirely different landscape over his career, as far as building a team.  Hard to prepare for the future.  You can't get caught looking too far ahead.  Totally different game from when he started.

Knew he needed to add through portal, particularly inside depth....Forrester.  Picket brought in to be a difference maker.  Liked his defense coming in.  Meshing the new guys together is difficult.  Verbal leadership is something Ford is still looking for.  All are pretty low key personalities.  Linssen and Nesbitt were the loudest ones last season.  Martin was the most vocal player on the team, and this season's team has commented on that....his voice is missing.  Before him, Goodwin was the voice of the team, talking for and to everyone. 

Collins is the 'leader' with an incredible presence on the team.  But he is quite and non-emotional.  He leads by example but not necessarily vocally.  Over the last week, Hughes has become very vocal.  This is surprising since this is an older team and he is a fresh.  "Hey, if no one else is going to do it, I'll do it."  Both on and off the court.  He has gotten better and better on the floor.  He just needed a chance and he has taken advantage of the chance.  He is supporting others vocally.  By doing this, he isn't concentrating on himself anymore.  "Ain't gonna call Larry Hughes Jr, Junior anymore".  He is standing on his own two feet creating his own path.  At the same time he isn't running away from his legacy through the Legend. He isn't letting any of that pressure him.  

Trainer has to get Collins ready to play every day.  He is beat up constantly, always banged up.  Doesn't want Coach to know about his injury status. Never makes excuses. NBA scouts are talking to Ford about him.  Collins is built like a tank.  Yuri, Marcus Smart and Goodwin are the toughest players he has coached.  (Okay, Coach now says Yuri had a foot injury for the NIT last year and he didn't play Collins.)

OOC was strange around the country.  Teams were really up and then really down.   New Mexico was the last undefeated team in OOC, and then two straight losses in conference.  Looking at preseason polls and comparing to now, it's all messed up.  NC was top 3 preseason, and now are out of the polls. 

St. B game.  Bonnies lost the 'iron five' all at the same time.  Totally a new team.  Preparing for St B, they beat UMass bad. They were playing their best ball coming in.  We played with a little fear that that helped us maintained an edge.  We had not played with that edge before.   Ford said he played with fear every game.  He was scared that the guy he was guarding was faster and quicker. He didn't want to fail his teammates.  If he hadn't played that way, if he had gotten comfortable, he wouldn't have succeeded as a player.  Looking for that from his team.  

Banks only got 5 shots off against Collins and missed them all.  He took him out of the game.  Played the best team defense of the year.  Moved the ball on offense as good as they had all year.  Got the ball reversed, side to side.  First bucket of the game, dunk by Okoro, came after six passes.  Had to give the defense time to make a mistake.  Today he gave the team the % of buckets after 4 or 5 passes.  % went way up.

Back flip pass from Collins to Hughes for a three, Picket set a screen on the right wing and Larry ran all the way to the opposite corner.  Larry moved without the ball.  Ford highlighted that today in practice.

Parker -  it is hard adjusting to D1.  We know he can shoot.  Had to get his defense up to standard.  Saturday he has some good possessions on D.  Jimerson doesn't let missing shots bother him.  Passed the ball very well Saturday and played the defense needed.

George Mason coming in.  We won double OT at their place last year.  Odoro had 32 on us last year.  Cooper had 22 last year.  Both are back.  Several transfers are helping, Bailey from TN big scorer, 48% from the three.  36% team from 3.  Odoro is one of the best creators in the post.  He does more than just back you down in the post.

Friday in DC, they will go to see Goodwin play.  Good watching Goodwin stay focused on his dream.  He is in position to get a good contract in the NBA. 

Thanks for the effort you put into these recaps. 

Bills71 likes this

17 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Excellent summary. Just want to note that it was Rammer who said he wouldn’t be referring to LHJ as “Junior” on the broadcasts anymore. TBH, I’m not exactly sure the point he was trying to make there.

It’s an old David Allan Coe song about Hank Williams Junior. Enjoy

-I almost drove off the road when CFord said in talking about Hughes AND Thames that he "has no hesitation to put them in the game"

-said he is impressed with the frosh, Thames going to play this year and will eventually be a star, Kramer is tough, Momo good in practice

-and as Hoosier mentioned the NIT Foot Injury claim again made, of course Rammer can't contradict the coach on the Coach's Show

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Collins is the 'leader' with an incredible presence on the team.  But he is quiet and non-emotional.  He leads by example but not necessarily vocally.  Over the last week, Hughes has become very vocal.  This is surprising since this is an older team and he is a fresh.  "Hey, if no one else is going to do it, I'll do it."  Both on and off the court.  He has gotten better and better on the floor.  He just needed a chance and he has taken advantage of the chance.  He is supporting others vocally.  By doing this, he isn't concentrating on himself anymore.  "Ain't gonna call Larry Hughes Jr, Junior anymore".  He is standing on his own two feet creating his own path.  At the same time he isn't running away from his legacy through the Legend. He isn't letting any of that pressure him.  

Larry Hughes Jr is gonna be a Billiken legend.  He just has the mindset of a winner, born and bred.  When you are a vocal leader as a Freshman, you know you got IT (whatever “IT” is)

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

14 hours ago, laker119 said:

Larry Hughes Jr is gonna be a Billiken legend.  He just has the mindset of a winner, born and bred.  When you are a vocal leader as a Freshman, you know you got IT (whatever “IT” is)

I hope that in a few years we have to debate which Hughes has had the greatest impact on our program, Senior or Junior.

laker119 likes this

• 2 weeks later...
  • HoosierPal changed the title to Coach's Show with Rammer, Jan 9, Jan 23
On 1/23/2023 at 7:51 PM, HoosierPal said:

Coach Ford's teams usually get better in Jan and Feb.  "All 7 teams since I have been here have gotten better Jan and Feb"  Players start playing for the cause, rather than playing for themself."  Don't worry about your stats.  It's a team game.

I've seen this thrown around a lot by some MBMs, I think one of the Midtown guys said it, and now Tate here.  I haven't seen any actual analysis of whether this is true, so here we go.

Season...KenPom rating going into 1st game in January...going into March...Final KenPom rating (lowest KenPom rating & date, lowest in conference play if different)

2016-17...312...289...273 (319 on 1/14)

2017-18...184...138...148 (208 on 12/12, 184 on 1/17)

2018-19...83...136...103 (145 on 2/23)

2019-20...91...83...62 (142 on 11/5, 94 on 2/8)

2020-21...35...51...53 (54 on 2/6)

2021-22..77...62...68 (106 on 11/9, 81 on 1/15)

I'd say things were looking pretty good this narrative up until 2020-21 - obviously COVID played a role there.  Ironically the 2018-19 team struggled a lot in January & early February, but then as we know got hot in March.

HoosierPal likes this

12 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I've seen this thrown around a lot by some MBMs, I think one of the Midtown guys said it, and now Tate here.  I haven't seen any actual analysis of whether this is true, so here we go.

Season...KenPom rating going into 1st game in February...Final KenPom rating (lowest KenPom rating & date, lowest in conference play if different)

2016-17...302...273 (319 on 1/14)

2017-18...141...148 (208 on 12/12, 184 on 1/17)

2018-19...119...103 (145 on 2/23)

2019-20...83...62 (142 on 11/5, 94 on 2/8)

2020-21...42...53 (54 on 2/6)

2021-22..63...68 (106 on 11/9, 81 on 1/15)

I'd say things were looking pretty good this narrative up until 2020-21.  Obviously COVID issues played a role there, but last season the team peaked earlier & then largely plateaued.  

Not to spoil the work you did here, but Tate's claim was that each team got better in January AND February. You'd have to compare December 31st rankings to end of year rankings. I imagine there'd be even more disparity. 

1 hour ago, Bills By 40 said:

Not to spoil the work you did here, but Tate's claim was that each team got better in January AND February. You'd have to compare December 31st rankings to end of year rankings. I imagine there'd be even more disparity. 

Good call.  I read that too fast & just assumed February & March being the end of the season.  I will update the original post to reflect 12/31 rankings vs 2/28 rankings vs end of year rankings.

Bills By 40 likes this

January 30    (All these shows are available on Varsity Network App.)

Tom Ackerman for second week in a row.  He was at the Women's Team practice.  They played the taped interview with Ford from Sunday, Sport on an Open Line.

Tillett was scheduled for the last 10 minutes of the show, but I bailed as I already heard the Ford interview on Sunday. 

• HoosierPal changed the title to Coach's Show with Rammer, Jan 9, Jan 23, Feb 6
6 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

I wonder if Majerus chose to watch NBA games over conference games? 

…and the A-10 is absolutely not a tough league at all. 

I know the old powerful alumni won’t make a change but any self respecting program would.  #fireford 

Didn’t even read it. I appreciate the time Hoosier puts into these recaps and really enjoy reading his posts however I’m done listening to the excuses and coach speak from Ford. At this point Ford just sounds like Charlie Brown’s teacher to me. Lolzz he didn’t actually say the A10 is a tough League did he!? Although I guess when you’ve never finished higher than 4th it is tough for you!

The Wiz likes this

8 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

I wonder if Majerus chose to watch NBA games over conference games? 

…and the A-10 is absolutely not a tough league at all. 

I know the old powerful alumni won’t make a change but any self respecting program would.  #fireford 

Or Spoonhour. Or Grawer.

The old alums remind me of Matheny defenders when it was clear he lost the team.

13 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Two fouls in first half:  We have been in serious foul trouble at Davidson and Fordham.  CF: My rule always is two fouls you come out.  Yes I will put a player back in if I feel the game is getting out of hand.  If we stay in the game, you can be more aggressive in the second half.  If you put a guy in and he gets a third in the first half, he won't be playing aggressive for the first 10 minutes in the second half.

This tells you all you need to know. If you have a rule that you automatically yank players with two fouls, with little room for adjustment, I can’t take you seriously as a Division 1 basketball coach…and neither do other A10 teams, apparently

-thanks Hoosier

-I wonder if the staff didn't see in the preseason the defense causing turnovers because the offense they were guarding was turning it over enough on its own?

-"Couldn't be more pleased with Hughes" "We need to get Hughes in there more"  These go to my point a week or two ago that CFord gives ammo to his detractors.  Larry hasn't played meaningful minutes in the second in at least the past two games

-interesting, not a critique, that he doesn't watch other A10 games other than scouting

38 minutes ago, laker119 said:

This tells you all you need to know. If you have a rule that you automatically yank players with two fouls, with little room for adjustment, I can’t take you seriously as a Division 1 basketball coach…and neither do other A10 teams, apparently

i bet 90% of the D1 college coaches pull the player with 2 fouls in the first half.   you act like this is some radical move by ford, it is what college basketball coaches have done for 30 years.