GDT: St. Bonaventure; Why’d the chicken cross the basketball court?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Nice game, nice win well over the spread. Nice to see Hughes and Parker playing and scoring. Perkins still not scoring well. Hope this trend continues.

Personally I want Perkins to break out and be the scorer he was two years ago.  He is key to SLU having a chance to dance.

4 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Personally I want Perkins to break out and be the scorer he was two years ago.  He is key to SLU having a chance to dance.

I mean we all do.  If he can’t though, we need more Parker and Hughes.  Same goes for Jimerson

I want the same thing, and I believe both Perkins and Ford want it too. However, I really do not think he can achieve that level, and that the harder he tries the less he is likely to be able to do. I think he has reached a plateau, and that is where he is likely to stay at. I am afraid he will not it make to the NBA.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Interesting stats from the opponent's camp  

We got homemade meatloaf from the officials tonight. They absolutely cooked it for us. Hence the almost zero officiating complaints in the arena or on this thread.

However: us playing them even in all other metrics was a total improvement from the disaster against UMass where we got outplayed out coached and out hustled and beaten.

Also bonawelding couldn't shoot at all they were terrible.

If that program was any good we would have had "brownindian" on here talking trash as usual. Noted absence once his team stinks.

5 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Those two are sooooo soft on D.  They should not be on the floor at the same time, in my opinion.

Agreed. They’re essentially the same guy these days: jump shooters that can’t defend. 

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

The biggest thing I saw tonight on defense was that when their #32 got the ball in both our centers could not handle him one on one but we would drop off of our man and help clog him up even if only for a moment.  The Bills also played more help defense as a whole.

I do have one question - what is going on with our floor.  Both teams seem to be slipping and sliding throughout the game.  It has gotten worse throughout the season.  Normally that would mean the finish is getting worn but I can't believe they don't refinish it each year.  Yuri looked like he may have tweaked his knee and Gibby actually just went down going over to Yuri when he was fouled.  If the floor is a problem somebody is going to get seriously hurt.

Someone greased the floor, to sabotage the baby race. 🧐 

8 hours ago, cheeseman said:

The biggest thing I saw tonight on defense was that when their #32 got the ball in both our centers could not handle him one on one but we would drop off of our man and help clog him up even if only for a moment.  The Bills also played more help defense as a whole.

I do have one question - what is going on with our floor.  Both teams seem to be slipping and sliding throughout the game.  It has gotten worse throughout the season.  Normally that would mean the finish is getting worn but I can't believe they don't refinish it each year.  Yuri looked like he may have tweaked his knee and Gibby actually just went down going over to Yuri when he was fouled.  If the floor is a problem somebody is going to get seriously hurt.

Gibson slips and falls everywhere, not just at Chaifetz.  He seriously looks like a baby deer on ice.  Not sure what there is to be done about it, it’s been a problem for as long as I can remember him being in the program. 

as for the rest of the players slipping, I don’t know… I didn’t really notice more than usual but that doesn’t mean it’s not happening.  What I will say is that there are tons of people on the floor in their daily “walking around shoes” during a game.  Between the putting contest, the shopping cart, the fire pillars, the t-shirt cannon, all the shooting contests, and the fact that team huddles have essentially moved out to completely under the basket during timeouts… would it kill them to get even a dry mop out at halftime and wipe the floor?  

15 hours ago, NYBilliken said:

The start was bad, Billikens scored on only 5 of 15 possessions and behind 11-15. Pickett and Forrester came into game, took the initiative to make some plays, and changed the game: We scored on 13 of our remaining 20 possessions in the half, outscored the bonnies 28-8. Parker and Hughes helped keep the momentum on both offense and defense.

2nd half:

Beginning with the Pickett FTs following the flagrant 1, the Bills had 14 possessions to end the game which resulted in 9-10 shooting, 6-7 arc, 6-8 stripe, along with 2 turnovers. That’s 30 points in 14 possessions for a ppp of 2.14 which is crazy good. LHJ and Parker were the catalysts of it with a solid assist from Yuri. 

A really good game on both ends by everyone with the one blemish being 13 turnovers in 62 possessions with Yuri having 6 of those. Take better care of the ball, make a decent percentage from three and maybe good things happen in March.

Fraz and The Wiz like this

4 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Gibson slips and falls everywhere, not just at Chaifetz.  He seriously looks like a baby deer on ice.  Not sure what there is to be done about it, it’s been a problem for as long as I can remember him being in the program. 

as for the rest of the players slipping, I don’t know… I didn’t really notice more than usual but that doesn’t mean it’s not happening.  What I will say is that there are tons of people on the floor in their daily “walking around shoes” during a game.  Between the putting contest, the shopping cart, the fire pillars, the t-shirt cannon, all the shooting contests, and the fact that team huddles have essentially moved out to completely under the basket during timeouts… would it kill them to get even a dry mop out at halftime and wipe the floor?  

Good point about dry mopping during the game.  Years ago they use to do it at Kiel at half but there is so much going on at half time that they simply stopped doing it.  You get 5 or 6 people with wide mops and it can be done quickly.

10 hours ago, Soderball said:

We got homemade meatloaf from the officials tonight. They absolutely cooked it for us. Hence the almost zero officiating complaints in the arena or on this thread.

However: us playing them even in all other metrics was a total improvement from the disaster against UMass where we got outplayed out coached and out hustled and beaten.

Also bonawelding couldn't shoot at all they were terrible.

If that program was any good we would have had "brownindian" on here talking trash as usual. Noted absence once his team stinks.

Agree. The six point play pretty much sealed the game. To me that was a play on, even after watching the replay last night. But even with the officials help, Bonnie’s weren’t going to win that game. 

imo, that was the worst st bonaventure team since schmidt became the coach.  they had a D2 feel to them imo.

schmidt was in a bad spot last spring.   he was counting on all that great starting five coming back so he couldnt recruit more players until they all starting taking the money and running to other programs, he jumped back in but obviously too late.   this NiL is the runination of college basketball.   

you watch if the same doesnt happen to the billikens this spring.   there is individuals on the team that will surely be tempted.  and honestly who could blame them for also "taking the money and running".

Just now, billiken_roy said:

imo, that was the worst st bonaventure team since schmidt became the coach.  they had a D2 feel to them imo.

Well, they did just beat the team we lost to by 20

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Well, they did just beat the team we lost to by 20

imo that is a point of how f'ing bad the billikens played at umass.   

think st bonnie = siu-e and umass = billikens for that game.

I think it is premature to worry about NILs for next year Roy. It will be what it will be. We have to win the A10 conference and tournament this year in order to go to the Dance. If this does not happen, we may have a lot of issues to deal with for next season other than NILs.

Yuri is, even when playing well, is a turnover machine with 55 TOs so far this year, over a quarter of the total number of TOs made by the whole team (including Yuri). Okoro is listed as a senior, I do not know if he has any eligibility left after this year, Pickens and Forrester will be lost and Thatch's basketball career is over. Jimerson may not want professional basketball as his life's career. If this is the case he might choose transferring to Duke, UNC, or UVA graduate program in finance, all of which are closer to his family, than staying at SLU.

A lot of things may or may not happen before next season.

51 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

schmidt was in a bad spot last spring.   he was counting on all that great starting five coming back so he couldnt recruit more players until they all starting taking the money and running to other programs, he jumped back in but obviously too late.   this NiL is the runination of college basketball.   

you watch if the same doesnt happen to the billikens this spring.   there is individuals on the team that will surely be tempted.  and honestly who could blame them for also "taking the money and running".

I agree the NIL will ruin the game as it has been but the only thing that you can count on is "change".  I imagine when doctors became more important the barbers who had normally been doing surgery said the same thing - these science based doctors will be the ruination of the barber profession".  We just have to go with the flow.

3 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I think it is premature to worry about NILs for next year Roy. It will be what it will be. We have to win the A10 conference and tournament this year in order to go to the Dance. If this does not happen, we may have a lot of issues to deal with for next season other than NILs.

Yuri is, even when playing well, is a turnover machine with 55 TOs so far this year, over a quarter of the total number of TOs made by the whole team (including Yuri). Okoro is listed as a senior, I do not know if he has any eligibility left after this year, Pickens and Forrester will be lost and Thatch's basketball career is over. Jimerson may not want professional basketball as his life's career. If this is the case he might choose transferring to Duke, UNC, or UVA graduate program in finance, all of which are closer to his family, than staying at SLU.

A lot of things may or may not happen before next season.

I disagree we don't have to win the conference and the the conference tourney to go to the Dance only the conference tourney.