GDT: St. Bonaventure; Why’d the chicken cross the basketball court?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

The Bonnies are seriously awful but that performance by us tonight beats a ton of teams 

Hitting open shots and effort translates anywhere.but ya they suck. 

14 minutes ago, slu72 said:

A solid win any time u beat Schmidt. The guy could coach a blind team to a win. 34 pts from the bench should tell Ford something. I dreaded this game but this gives me some hope although the Bonnie’s should not to be team to fear. 

Bona was 2-0 in the league entering this game. How? The home court makes a big difference in this league.

A nice surprise tonight I am so down I thought we would give up a lot of points again and lose.

Good win on to the next game.

St Bonnie is not good, but the Billikens did a lot of stuff right and there were key changes to the normal billiken game.  

Had a very enjoyable game tonite!   I'll take it and pray for more.   Keep it going now Billikens

CBFan likes this

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

St Bonnie is not good, but the Billikens did a lot of stuff right and there were key changes to the normal billiken game.  

Had a very enjoyable game tonite!   I'll take it and pray for more.   Keep it going now Billikens

What key changes you see Roy?  The bench had its best game of the year.  I thought the offensive sets were good, lots of layups.

59 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Bona was 2-0 in the league entering this game. How? The home court makes a big difference in this league.

It does in most leagues. But if we play like we did today, we don’t have to fear road games. 

A couple guys still need to pick it up a little bit more defensively. It was a better effort from them, but they can do more. The rest of the team, it was the best defensive effort in a long time.  Keep playing like that defensively and we will win a lot of games down the stretch.  

I am not getting my hopes up just yet.  We need this kind of effort consistently and haven’t been given any indication that it will continue.  That said, this could be a step in the right direction.

2 hours ago, NYBilliken said:

The start was bad, Billikens scored on only 5 of 15 possessions and behind 11-15. Pickett and Forrester came into game, took the initiative to make some plays, and changed the game: We scored on 13 of our remaining 20 possessions in the half, outscored the bonnies 28-8. Parker and Hughes helped keep the momentum on both offense and defense.

Now this is the kind of analysis I come here for. :hattip

Darryl Bankks III was the fourth leading scorer in the A10 coming into the game.  He had 1 point.  And for the most part, he had Yuri Collins on him.  Yuri stuck like the glue everyone else uses when covering Jimerson.  Today, he was indeed All A10 First Team Defensive player.  Six to's were a bit much but I'll take that in a run-and-gun game.

The Parker and Hughes sightings are massive.  If Perkins and Jimerson continue to struggle, we have options.  Troy Robertson named our bench as Player of the Game.  Sincere gave great effort on defense and Hughes' contributions were huge.  My only concern coming out was how did Venning school both Okoro and Forrester on the low blocks?  The guy ain't that good.  

The Flagrant 1 and the resulting six points stemmed the Bonnie tide in the second half. I thought ut-oh, up 16 at half so not good.  Schmidt won the first four minutes of the second half, cutting the lead to 11 but that was it.  

Scored two bets today ----- VCU minus 5.5 at home with Davidson and Uconn minus 7.5 at home against Creighton.  Two good wins plus a Bills win.  Good day.

CBFan likes this

The biggest thing I saw tonight on defense was that when their #32 got the ball in both our centers could not handle him one on one but we would drop off of our man and help clog him up even if only for a moment.  The Bills also played more help defense as a whole.

I do have one question - what is going on with our floor.  Both teams seem to be slipping and sliding throughout the game.  It has gotten worse throughout the season.  Normally that would mean the finish is getting worn but I can't believe they don't refinish it each year.  Yuri looked like he may have tweaked his knee and Gibby actually just went down going over to Yuri when he was fouled.  If the floor is a problem somebody is going to get seriously hurt.

Good win over a young team. The Bonnie’s played hard all game despite their lack of talent or experience. Glad to see SLU matched the intensity on the defensive end for the most part and didn’t cave to their second half pressure. 
This team still has a lot to work on offensively and defensively. Gibson needs to step it up in all aspects of the game. His defense is too weak to not be hitting shots and getting to the FT line. Hughes Jr and Parker filled in nicely today picking up the slack from Jimmerson and Perkins. Hopefully this continues from the bench, but home court against a weak team may have been more of the reason for bench success. 
Lotta games left. If they can figure out how to play with consistent effort on both ends they can make a run in A10 play.