Thatch Torn ACL

slufan13

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

Sad for him to end his college career on this note. Who the hell cleared him to return to the game?

regardless, the team is doomed with or without him unfortunately 

Whoever cleared him to go back to the game, should be included in the firing list for this season. He may have contributed to make the injury worse that what it initially was.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Always got a good vibe when Fred entered the game. Like, he’ll bail us out. A spirited player who will be missed for sure. Good luck and God Bless, Fred. 

Particularly defensively.. Fred has been the guy called in when a player is just failing to play defense in any meaningful way. He's been the "fixer" for the Billikens for awhile now, if you will. This is a Bad loss for this roster.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

if those on campus knew (i assume you were maybe a student in the late 90's) i sure wish you would have shared with the alumni like myself, the coaching staff, etc.   i remember the day the news broke i was shocked because all we had heard via the media from the day he signed his NIL was he promised to be a billiken for at least 2 years.   yes it became obvious very early on he was a great player that didnt need to be in college at all let alone 2 years, but nothing was ever publically announced until the day he actually announced he was leaving college to enter the draft.

I was in the same freshman class as Larry but didn't grow up in St Louis. So, I missed everything about his recruitment. I made a lot of friends from StL and they all sang the same tune--Hughes would be turning pro after the season. I didn't know any better to think they were all just speculating and took it as fact. When Larry's on-campus visibility became virtually nonexistent in the Spring semester it jived with everything I had been told.

Fred was always one of my favorite players on the team.  Ever since he’s been here.  He was a guy you could tell to do anything: be the junkyard dog, play backup point guard, guard the other teams best player…I could go on.  It’s just heartbreaking for him as a person and as a player.  I agree with many on the board, Fred is a great ambassador for this program, and he improved the program with his presence. 

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Someone should make a poster of that pic looking like an oil painting for Fred. That is an awesome sports pic

Pretty decent vertical.

slufanskip likes this

Hughes originally said two years and as willie said, kept to that even after losing to Kentucky in Atlanta.  Then --- BOOM --- and gone.  

Why is Hughes one-and-done a tragedy?  Because this program sucks.  How much proof do you need.  Is it real, imagined,  self-inflicted?  I don't know, lots of things.  A Duke or a Carolina or a Kentucky can easily recover from a one-and-doner like Hughes.  They have experience.  Recruits waiting in the wings.  Reload.  We do not, never have, never will and therefore a one-and-doner negatively impacts this program more than usual.  I understand Justin Love was coming to play with Hughes.  I had heard a few other names like Dontonio Wingfield at Cincinnati, a kid or two from DePaul (names escape me) and so on.  Baniak, Heinrich, and Tatum never were more better than their one year with Hughes.  Tragic for sure.