Thatch Torn ACL

slufan13

16 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Sad for Fred, always loves his effort.

Sadly, an excuse Ford can use now

Every team goes through injuries to key players. It’s only an excuse if we let it be one.  

Don’t wanna turn Fred’s thread into a bash Ford fest, but there’s really no excuse that could/should save him at this point. 

slufan13 likes this

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, gobillsgo said:

Every team goes through injuries to key players. It’s only an excuse if we let it be one.  

Don’t wanna turn Fred’s thread into a bash Ford fest, but there’s really no excuse that could/should save him at this point. 

It could maybe be an excuse if we weren't 9-6 right now

Bizziken likes this

3 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

No offense to Fred, and agreed don't want to take away, but losing the best player in a conference right before a season starts is different.  

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/fred-thatch-jr-s-slu-career-ends-with-torn-acl/article_07811e2b-8944-5506-9705-3d53a8a44d7d.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Stu's article.

Good luck to you Mr. Thatch.  I am very confident whatever direction you pick moving forward, it will be successful.

brianstl likes this

9 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Favorite Fred moment? Mine might not even be on the court - this gameday fit was my phone background for like a year. 

I'd never seen that 2nd video 😭 Fred needs to be a future coach and come back in some capacity. Also, my dad would LOVE that sweater, it looks like the stuff he used to wear back in late 90s/early 2000s with Rams gear.

46 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

The hits keep coming: Ekker, Grawer's dismissal, Hughes One-and-done, Spoon retires, Romar leaves, Sodie Ball, the A10, Majerus dies, [dead], Situation 1, Situation 2, COVID, Perkins and now Thatch.  This program needs an exorcism too.

Why are you listing Hughes staying 1 year as a tragedy? That was ALWAYS the plan. If Hughes getting a Billiken scholarship was contingent on staying multiple years he never would have come to SLU. His 1 year was a gift from my vantage point.

6 minutes ago, shempie said:

Putback to beat Iona last year rates high 

2143EBB7-9FDB-4824-A5F2-2F1988B855CA.jpeg

I managed to forget about that. You're right. 

I think my Mount Rushmore is that Iona play, the tunnel sweatshirt, the Butler steal/dunk, and the Dayton ankle breaker. Honorary mentions to his O'Laughlin Center speech, taking a charge @ UMass with a torn ACL, and the entirety of his '19-20 illness season. 

i agree with SLU keeping him in the program.   if there was ever a more born to be a coach player graduating from SLU please let me know who that was.   i love that guy.   he seemed to be the only old school like player we had left.   

Fred, thanks for all you did here as a Billiken.   Your opportunities because of who you are will be endless.   Do what is best for Fred, but I am sure many of us would love to see you get an opportunity to be a Billiken in some capacity going forward.

22 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Why are you listing Hughes staying 1 year as a tragedy? That was ALWAYS the plan. If Hughes getting a Billiken scholarship was contingent on staying multiple years he never would have come to SLU. His 1 year was a gift from my vantage point.

if those on campus knew (i assume you were maybe a student in the late 90's) i sure wish you would have shared with the alumni like myself, the coaching staff, etc.   i remember the day the news broke i was shocked because all we had heard via the media from the day he signed his NIL was he promised to be a billiken for at least 2 years.   yes it became obvious very early on he was a great player that didnt need to be in college at all let alone 2 years, but nothing was ever publically announced until the day he actually announced he was leaving college to enter the draft.

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if those on campus knew (i assume you were maybe a student in the late 90's) i sure wish you would have shared with the alumni like myself, the coaching staff, etc.   i remember the day the news broke i was shocked because all we had heard via the media from the day he signed his NIL was he promised to be a billiken for at least 2 years.   yes it became obvious very early on he was a great player that didnt need to be in college at all let alone 2 years, but nothing was ever publically announced until the day he actually announced he was leaving college to enter the draft.

This is correct. At the NCAA tournament in Atlanta Hughes said he was coming back. 

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

You confused me for a second.....What, NIL for Hughes??  (Did he get 'paid' back then?  We'll never know.) 

National Letter of Intent  (NLI)    🙂

billiken_roy likes this

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I thought he was planning on coming back but his brother took a turn for the worse and the NBA money plus the introductions to some of the best medial personal in the world was to much to pass up. 

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

I thought he was planning on coming back but his brother took a turn for the worse and the NBA money plus the introductions to some of the best medial personal in the world was to much to pass up. 

my memory says his brother had the surgery almost immediately after Larry became a Billiken and his death was after he was already a pro.   i wouldnt bet the farm on that, but that is what i remember.  please correct me with dates if i am wrong.  thanks

AGB91 likes this

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

my memory says his brother had the surgery almost immediately after Larry became a Billiken and his death was after he was already a pro.   i wouldnt bet the farm on that, but that is what i remember.  please correct me with dates if i am wrong.  thanks

The surgery right after becoming a Billiken sounds correct. 
It was a long time ago though. 
I still think the money for doctors and meeting new doctors played a huge role in his leaving. 

I love Fred’s smile his kind demeanor, work ethic with class work and basketball.

Fred has 2 degrees he will be prosperous and has thousands of fans that will happily be a reference for the good man he is.

Sorry this happened to you Mr. Thatch best wishes.

drkelsey55 likes this

There are very few players who are not only assets to the basketball program but also the university AND the city. Fred was one of those players. An all-time Billiken beast, on the court and off. Sad to see him injured, but proud of his achievements and happy for the memories he gave us. 

As others have said, I truly hope he sticks around the program. He has a chance to be a very unique Billiken should he decide to get into coaching. 

1 minute ago, Bizziken said:

There are very few players who are not only assets to the basketball program but also the university AND the city. Fred was one of those players. An all-time Billiken beast, on the court and off. Sad to see him injured, but proud of his achievements and happy for the memories he gave us. 

As others have said, I truly hope he sticks around the program. He has a chance to be a very unique Billiken should he decide to get into coaching.

Dr. Thatch patrolling the sideline has a certain ring to it...