Coaching or Talent?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Jacobs is averaging 12 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists for a team that has won 7 in a row.

Well they're in the MAC with a SOS of 288 but yes, those are solid numbers (especially the 56% FG shooting) and ultimately you're proving my point - Jacobs can hoop. Jacobs as an incoming recruit and even a freshman was no more impressive on paper or in reality than any of the guys on our current roster. He was especially less impressive than LHJr has been as of late. 

His freshman year here he averaged as many turnovers as points (0.4) and only .4R/.3A/.2S/.1B to go with it. Certainly not an impact player. 

3 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

This is hilarious

Capture.JPG

I’d kind of like to know what this is about but then again I kind of don’t.

Getting back to Billiken basketball, I’m fired up about Medley and Vice joining the program and somewhat optimistic about Zhang. I’d like to go ahead now and get the trademark on the name of the incoming class. No doubt it should be called “The Vice Squad.” Assuming Hughes, Thames, Cisse, Hargrove, and others not currently in the rotation return, it will be interesting to see who starts and who works their way into the rotation.

As for starters, I can see Medley, Hughes, Hargrove, Vice, and Cisse starting with Thames and Zhang being the key subs. Of course, the portal changes this as we may be looking to add a point and a power forward.

BC1764 likes this

1 minute ago, billikenbill said:

I’d kind of like to know what this is about but then again I kind of don’t.

Getting back to Billiken basketball, I’m fired up about Medley and Vice joining the program and somewhat optimistic about Zhang. I’d like to go ahead now and get the trademark on the name of the incoming class. No doubt it should be called “The Vice Squad.” Assuming Hughes, Thames, Cisse, Hargrove, and others not currently in the rotation return, it will be interesting to see who starts and who works their way into the rotation.

As for starters, I can see Medley, Hughes, Hargrove, Vice, and Cisse with Thames and Zhang being the key subs. Of course, the portal changes this as we may be looking to add a point guard and a power forward.

I much prefer "The Vice Medley" but we're on the same page

Don't forget Parker in your starting lineup projection. He's not even mentioned in the subs. He'll be one of our most valuable players next year.

40 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I much prefer "The Vice Medley" but we're on the same page

Don't forget Parker in your starting lineup projection. He's not even mentioned in the subs. He'll be one of our most valuable players next year.

Oops, major oversight. So, maybe Parker is the 6th man which gives a workable 8-man rotation in the absence of any transfers in.

Prior to becoming the head coach at OSU, Ford had been the HC at UMass starting with the 2005 season. He was successful at UMass and his contract was extended for 5 years April 2007 when he left for OSU. I find no information regarding whether or not he received any post termination payments from UMass.

He was hired to this position at OSU in 2008, after he left his position at UMass. His contract was renewed in 2009 for 10 years. He left (was fired?) in 2016 with OSU paying the payout portion of the contract.

Travis Ford became the HC at SLU March 2016. His contract was extended March 2020. If the extension was for 3 years it will expire at the end of this season. If it was for 5 years he still has 2 years to go.

There is a pattern in this work history, he becomes HC somewhere, has some initial success and receives a contract extension, then he leaves or is fired before the extension contract is completed. The data above is from Wikipedia.

16 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Prior to becoming the head coach at OSU, Ford had been the HC at UMass starting with the 2005 season. He was successful at UMass and his contract was extended for 5 years April 2007 when he left for OSU. I find no information regarding whether or not he received any post termination payments from UMass.

He was hired to this position at OSU in 2008, after he left his position at UMass. His contract was renewed in 2009 for 10 years. He left (was fired?) in 2016 with OSU paying the payout portion of the contract.

Travis Ford became the HC at SLU March 2016. His contract was extended March 2020. If the extension was for 3 years it will expire at the end of this season. If it was for 5 years he still has 2 years to go.

There is a pattern in this work history, he becomes HC somewhere, has some initial success and receives a contract extension, then he leaves or is fired before the extension contract is completed. The data above is from Wikipedia.

I think that shows you he is good at building a program to a respectable level but has trouble getting them over the hump.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

When English is someone's second language, it is sometimes hard for them to get sarcasm.  I am sure it is even harder for them to get it on a message board when they are in their 70's.

Hey i am near 70 and i have a masters degree in sarcasm, some never get it at any age. this should be a blue font

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

It also tells me that he has reached the hump he cannot go over at SLU. I am also sure that he will be happy if he gets paid money to end his contract before it expires. If you think about it, that is a good way to make extra money.

Agree

Normally when you release a coach with years left on their contract, you end up negotiating a settlement - often around half.  The released coach usually wants to get another coaching gig and he can't do that if he is still under contract so he negotiates a settlement and then goes on his way.  I would think at Ford's age he would want another job.

Bills71 likes this

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Normally when you release a coach with years left on their contract, you end up negotiating a settlement - often around half.  The released coach usually wants to get another coaching gig and he can't do that if he is still under contract so he negotiates a settlement and then goes on his way.  I would think at Ford's age he would want another job.

And he would also want the free money coming from a negotiated settlement to his contract. Remember he has had contracts that were broken before completion at UMass, and OSU. The turn for SLU is coming closer.