Coaching or Talent?

If a donor pays and we can expect that donor to keep giving, great.  I don't want that donor to pay whatever million to get rid of Ford, due to Mays bad contract negotiating, and never give the SLU another cent after. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, CBFan said:

You forgot some Kramer, Hughes, and Thames.

I like the local talent but I don’t like the head coach.

Chris Beard got his walking papers take a big risk and see what he can do with the home grown talent.

This years' Fr class, the 3 you mentioned, is probably the weakest group of recruits in many of years.  No way they carry us to anywhere close to an A 10 title or an NCAA at large bid in the next 3 years.  This might be the Billikens' ceiling for a while-mid level A 10

11 minutes ago, bauman said:

This years' Fr class, the 3 you mentioned, is probably the weakest group of recruits in many of years.  No way they carry us to anywhere close to an A 10 title or an NCAA at large bid in the next 3 years.  This might be the Billikens' ceiling for a while-mid level A 10

I think Hughes has looked like a player. 
The other two are a mystery at this point. 

TheA_Bomb likes this

35 minutes ago, bauman said:

I agree with your weakness statement but with the Portal everything has changed. That's where Ford and Tate will need to recruit. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

A lot of people on this board were worried that was going to happen. Your take is very revisionist . Somebody who is better at search can look it up. 

Yeah thats great but the MBM moniker exists for a reason. 

Travis Ford hasn't had a sniff of moving up since he's been at SLU. He isn't a hot commodity. He never was. 

The best thing that could happen to SLU would be a coach moving up instead of having to be fired, retire, or die. 

56 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I think Hughes has looked like a player. 
The other two are a mystery at this point. 

this is the answer.   they have next to nothing in meaningful minutes played for the whole season.  

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Recruiting classes will vary depending on the upperclassmen around them. It's hard to bring in good freshman when you can't promise them a lick of playing time, which is what you've seen this year. 

Next year's freshman class is much better, because we're expecting them to have immediate roles. 

The class immediately after Goodwin and Has? Carte'Are was a big name but we know how that went, Fred turned out to be great but wasn't highly regarded at the time, and Demarius Jacobs was also just a 3 star recruit. I don't think that class on paper, nor through their first year, proved any better than this year's freshmen. And we seem to not be including Momo in that count because we have 4 in the freshman class.  

billikenbill likes this

2 hours ago, bauman said:

You have no way of knowing this until we see the kids play.

Kramer has a division one build played defense and is a good shooter in high school and in practice he is 6’ 2”.  He can also dunk the ball.

Thames was the leading scorer on his high school team.

If they stay at SLU I am looking forward to seeing what all 3 can do.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

You have no way of knowing this until we see the kids play.

Kramer has a division one build played defense and is a good shooter in high school and in practice he is 6’ 2”.  He can also dunk the ball.

Thames was the leading scorer on his high school team.

If they stay at SLU I am looking forward to seeing what all 3 can do.

Ford has given out plenty of evidence over the years that you won’t see these frosh unless it’s a blowout.if Ford turns his back on the portal, he is making a stupid and horrible mistake.

College basketball recruiting today is built around the transfer portal. Mizzou went from garbage to Top 25 in one offseason by hiring a new coach and working the portal.

This attitude of bringing in frosh and developing them is tired, old stuff. All you're doing is preparing them to transfer to another school and win there, not here.

Schasz and willie like this

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

College basketball recruiting today is built around the transfer portal. Mizzou went from garbage to Top 25 in one offseason by hiring a new coach and working the portal.

This attitude of bringing in frosh and developing them is tired, old stuff. All you're doing is preparing them to transfer to another school and win there, not here.

Note that the first step was hiring a new coach. We need one too if we want to go up.

41 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Poor coaching always accentuates the negative.  Look at Memphis.. penny is loaded with 4star guys and the results have been blah.

In 20-21 Penny won the NIT. In 21-22 he made it to the round of 32. He's presently 11-4 with a ranking of 34 on the Pomeroy. Memphis attendance averages around 15,000 at the Fedex.

If Ford had similar achievements we would not be having this discussion.

CBFan likes this

23 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

In 20-21 Penny won the NIT. In 21-22 he made it to the round of 32. He's presently 11-4 with a ranking of 34 on the Pomeroy. Memphis attendance averages around 15,000 at the Fedex.

If Ford had similar achievements we would not be having this discussion.

The NIT doesn’t really move the needle for me.  But yes, I would take those results over what we’ve got from Ford.

33 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

The NIT doesn’t really move the needle for me.  But yes, I would take those results over what we’ve got from Ford.

Actually winning the NIT should. Being SLU and going to the NIT to get drubbed by UNI should be moving needles backwards.

The pitiful statistics on team defense speaks for itself. This is primarily a coaching issue. The coach can teach positioning and helping out, but teaching a team to "shoot better" is a tall order. Either Ford needs to focus on that or get a defensive-minded assistant coach. The rest of the season will determine what is done or should be done, one way or the other. 

1 hour ago, rhagolf said:

And any coach who dismisses the value of the transfer portal is living in the Stone Age. Change you tune or get out of the business!

It may be his only salvation for next year but sometimes people do exactly the opposite of what they need to do. 

At seasons end we expect to lose our entire starting lineup and 2 of the 3 first guys off the bench. I think TJ stays figuring he will start next year. No idea as to what Jimerson might do but figure he wants to play in a dance or two before his college days are done. It’s highly unlikely he’ll get that chance at SLU. He’d be a hot commodity in the portal. 
So whether it’s Ford or someone new we’re going to have to work the Portal since we’ll be 4 or 5 guys short of a full roster. 

3 hours ago, rhagolf said:

The pitiful statistics on team defense speaks for itself. This is primarily a coaching issue. The coach can teach positioning and helping out, but teaching a team to "shoot better" is a tall order. Either Ford needs to focus on that or get a defensive-minded assistant coach. The rest of the season will determine what is done or should be done, one way or the other. 

We don’t have an offense issue.  We haven’t shot it particularly well and still lead the conference in PPG.  I think the schemes are fine and we get good looks more often than not.

Defensive end has killed us.  If we were just average on that end we’d be in the at-large discussion