The Bills over Mass by 2

The Wiz

3 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

The coach gets a lot smarter when his best shooter doesnt go 1-11 or the team makes free throws down the stretch or the pre season player of the year stay healthy. Talent is the driving factor in winning games

we arent at the practices.    we have no idea how the coach is teaching and motivating and planning on using the team.   there are a lot of factors that might have led to the sudden turnaround of multiple players to the worse.  i know i dont do my best work if people are not positively supporting me.   others are more motivated by the negative methods.   regardless a player that suddenly turns to worthless isnt normal. 

being able to manage all these emotions and mechanics and such of a roster of college basketball players isnt easy.   again Square peg round hole?   i dont know i am not there.  but that is why the coach gets big bucks to put all the pieces together however is necessary.   it's a machine and if one part doesnt work the way he wants, it could (and did) knock the machine out of balance and render it worthless

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I must have missed the part where I argued that South Carolina didn't care about basketball.  ALL of the SEC programs care about their basketball programs and have more than enough money coming in to throw at coaches.  South Carolina has cared about their basketball program for decades.  They have hired away coaches that were successful at Duke, UNC and Vanderbilt.  One of those coaches won a National Championship at UNC, another finished runner up and made the Elite Eight at Duke in the three seasons before he took the USC job and the last at his prior two stops took his teams to seven straight post season tournaments (five NCAAs) in seven seasons at non basketball power schools.  None of them them could keep it going at South Carolina.  That points to a bigger long term problem at South Carolina than the coach.  

Uh...how could you miss it it...it was the only point I was making? My entire post was in reply to wgstl who asserted  SC didn't care about basketball. 🙄

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

The coach gets a lot smarter when his best shooter doesnt go 1-11 or the team makes free throws down the stretch or the pre season player of the year stay healthy. Talent is the driving factor in winning games

100% agreed here. This is something that seemingly is glossed over a lot. I've been a Ford defender, but believe that a change is probably best for all parties. However, this team just making shots at their career averages would likely have a lot of us feeling differently at this point in the season. 

Team Rankings reversed its prediction about this game based upon the Vegas spread. The spread favors SLU by 3 pts. Team Rankings is giving SLU a one star of confidence to win. This means that either team can win this game. The stats have not changed. We will see what happens tomorrow.

This game was lost at the foul line ....we shot a dismal 52.4%...missed 5 extra shots...in addition, they had 6 extra FTA combined with a 74% shooting mark gave them an extra 9pts from the charity stripe....

They have some shooters but if you guard them they will either pass or miss the shot....We didn't stop them at the arc.....the killer was at the UMass arc where they made ten 3PM...double their normal shot total (a whopping 47.6% from 3) .  We missed only 1 extra 3....total damage ...18 pts (6x3)

The sad thing is UMass is a poor shooting team...D-/ D+/ D-...tonight they shot...A- / A++ / C+

There were other issues and misses but the above far exceeds the 9 pts we lost by.

We have been grading low all season on defense PPG (even when we are winning).

If we want to compete...we need to play Defense...that means hold the other team to less than 70 pts...if not we will have to depend on the shooting gods to help us and they haven't been kind to us this year.

7 hours ago, The Wiz said:

This game was lost at the foul line ....we shot a dismal 52.4%...missed 5 extra shots...in addition, they had 6 extra FTA combined with a 74% shooting mark gave them an extra 9pts from the charity stripe....

They have some shooters but if you guard them they will either pass or miss the shot....We didn't stop them at the arc.....the killer was at the UMass arc where they made ten 3PM...double their normal shot total (a whopping 47.6% from 3) .  We missed only 1 extra 3....total damage ...18 pts (6x3)

The sad thing is UMass is a poor shooting team...D-/ D+/ D-...tonight they shot...A- / A++ / C+

There were other issues and misses but the above far exceeds the 9 pts we lost by.

We have been grading low all season on defense PPG (even when we are winning).

If we want to compete...we need to play Defense...that means hold the other team to less than 70 pts...if not we will have to depend on the shooting gods to help us and they haven't been kind to us this year.

I really should stop being surprised when a team far exceeds their season averages offensively against us

7 hours ago, The Wiz said:

..if not we will have to depend on the shooting gods to help us and they haven't been kind to us this year.

Jimerson over the last 6 games, 10-45 from the arc for a sizzling 22.2%. Prior 8 games (excluding Paul Quinn) 24-62 for 38.7%. So, our alleged great shooter was making a slightly above average 38.7% in D-1 games so no real advantage there, now barely above 20% and most of the misses are not close. 

Bottom line, Jimerson has been a bust, Javonte’s return to form has been much slower than expected, and Franco’s regression into a barely recognizable player has been disastrous. 

Given our lack of size and defensive quickness, success this year was based on being excellent from the arc and Franco being a threat inside. Without that, this is a below average team with no post-season hopes. 

I’m not making excuses for Ford, just pointing out that the things he was counting on to make us a tourney level team have not been there, and by now, look like they won’t be.

Adman likes this

6 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Jimerson over the last 6 games, 10-45 from the arc for a sizzling 22.2%. Prior 8 games (excluding Paul Quinn) 24-62 for 38.7%. So, our alleged great shooter was making a slightly above average 38.7% in D-1 games so no real advantage there, now barely above 20% and most of the misses are not close. 

Bottom line, Jimerson has been a bust, Javonte’s return to form has been much slower than expected, and Franco’s regression into a barely recognizable player has been disastrous. 

Given our lack of size and defensive quickness, success this year was based on being excellent from the arc and Franco being a threat inside. Without that, this is a below average team with no post-season hopes. 

I’m not making excuses for Ford, just pointing out that the things he was counting on to make us a tourney level team have not been there, and by now, look like they won’t be.

We were all counting on Jimerson and Javonte and Okoro and Javon.  Pickett has got to have fouled more three point shooters than anyone else in Div 1.  While our screening is mostly moving, we don't either use them correctly or run them at all for Jimerson.  Jimerson must be naturally slow because he's always running flat out like a maniac.  He's still never open and his defense is suspect.  Those worrying about his transferring to Virginia for his "senior" year might be just as silly as those of us worried about Travis taking over for Cal......

On 1/1/2023 at 5:49 PM, The Wiz said:

The 17 

4-3...10 to go...

Now 4-4 with 9 to go. Looking ahead to the next 9, I see a max of 4 wins with the distinct possibilty of an 0-fer. By this point, we know we’re a bad shooting team that can’t defend. The only variable where there might be a little hope is the development of Parker and Hughes into legit scoring threats. We need some shooters and since no one else is stepping up, maybe those two will.

28 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

We were all counting on Jimerson and Javonte and Okoro and Javon.  Pickett has got to have fouled more three point shooters than anyone else in Div 1.  While our screening is mostly moving, we don't either use them correctly or run them at all for Jimerson.  Jimerson must be naturally slow because he's always running flat out like a maniac.  He's still never open and his defense is suspect.  Those worrying about his transferring to Virginia for his "senior" year might be just as silly as those of us worried about Travis taking over for Cal......

dont leave collins out of the disappointment list.   imo one of the most selfish players i have ever seen put on a billikens uniform.   Saturday he was the player he neede to be.   last night back to collins i detest.  

the point is, of our players that play the lions share of these fiascos no one is exempt.   but that said, where is the coach to correct or react?   

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

dont leave collins out of the disappointment list.   imo one of the most selfish players i have ever seen put on a billikens uniform.   Saturday he was the player he neede to be.   last night back to collins i detest.  

the point is, of our players that play the lions share of these fiascos no one is exempt.   but that said, where is the coach to correct or react?   

You are right, the gaudy assist numbers mask Collins' deficiencies.  I would point out though that the inability of us the screen someone open makes Yuri our last resort way too often which isn't great.  It seems like Jimerson and Perkins and the whole freaking team minus Okoro can hit a mid range jumper.  We seem to take 1 or 2 a game.  I know the dunk it or three pointer mindset is the way it is today but damn take a shot you can get......

2 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

You are right, the gaudy assist numbers mask Collins' deficiencies.  I would point out though that the inability of us the screen someone open makes Yuri our last resort way too often which isn't great.  It seems like Jimerson and Perkins and the whole freaking team minus Okoro can hit a mid range jumper.  We seem to take 1 or 2 a game.  I know the dunk it or three pointer mindset is the way it is today but damn take a shot you can get......

Wouldn’t someone hitting some mid-range jumpers open up the dunks and 3 PT shots as defenders are forced to move to cover them?

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I thought Yuri was fine OFFENSIVELY last night.

He didn’t try and create his own shots until the second half and by that point it was clear nobody else could score. 
He ended up 6-7 from the field and 4-5 from the line. Plus the 10 assists. That is a line I’ll take every night.

Our “big 2” we’re dreadful and Okoro can’t catch so somebody has to try and score. 

billikenbill likes this

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

He didn’t try and create his own shots until the second half and by that point it was clear nobody else could score. 
He ended up 6-7 from the field and 4-5 from the line. Plus the 10 assists. That is a line I’ll take every night.

Our “big 2” we’re dreadful and Okoro can’t catch so somebody has to try and score. 

I'll take yuri's game last night almost any night. 

Okoro did play like old okoro at the end, but ya way too bad the rest of the game. Jake played an ok game. Not good enough to win between the two. 

My biggest gripe, and this isn't a stat I looked up, it just feels right, It seems we never have 2 shooters on the same night.  Its always one guy breaks through(last night was parker) and everyone else takes the day off. 

Also another stat that I have no clue but feels right, feels like Gibby has had his backdoor cuts blocked like the last 10 attempts. 

Just now, dlarry said:

I agree with this. We lost the game because we can't stop anybody from scoring not because Yuri tried to score when no one else could.