The Bills over Mass by 2

The Wiz

58 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Now you’re making  excuses… his last 10 years were very mediocre, that’s why he was fired…20 games under 500 in your league is poor by any standards….

Travis Ford was 17 games under .500 in the Big 12 in 8 seasons and had a lower winning percentage (44.1%) in Big 12 games than Martin (44.4%) had in SEC games.  In Big 12 games at KSU Martin had 61% winning percentage.

slufan13 likes this

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Travis Ford was 17 games under .500 in the Big 12 in 8 seasons and had a lower winning percentage (44.1%) in Big 12 games than Martin (44.4%) had in SEC games.  In Big 12 games at KSU Martin had 61% winning percentage.

Yeah Martin is a way better coach than Ford. He's just a good coach in general. But we still win this game Wednesday 

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

So what you’re saying is they’re basically the same, yet Martin is called great and Ford terrible. Thanks for proving my point.

34 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

So what you’re saying is they’re basically the same, yet Martin is called great and Ford terrible. Thanks for proving my point.

In the same conference one had a 61% winning percentage and one had a 44.1% winning percentage. 
That is not the same at all.

thetorch and slufan13 like this

6 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Now you’re making  excuses… his last 10 years were very mediocre, that’s why he was fired…20 games under 500 in your league is poor by any standards….

South Carolina doesn’t care about their basketball program. call it what you want, that is the reality.

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

Investigation report: The computer that is faulty and will not follow the WWN2D2W instructions is labelled FORD. The subroutine labelled PERKINS is functionally inconsistent, it functions well sometimes, and does the opposite other times. The subroutine labelled COLLINS contains malaware that makes it function in a binodal manner, with one functional node favoring the team and the other countering it. The subroutine labelled OKORO is consistently and rapidly neutralized by external striped agents and made non functional for large stretches of time. These malfunctions are apparently not detected, prevented, or corrected properly by the computer labelled FORD. Suggest a system reset in safe mode followed by debugging or a replacement of the computer labelled FORD with a glitch free unit.

For a satirical piece, not bad old guy, not bad at all.

Injury update for Wed for UMass...

Leveque ...who had an undisclosed injury and was questionable for Wed...

Undisclosed has been changed to knee and questionable has been changed to not playing on Wed.

13 hours ago, wgstl said:

South Carolina doesn’t care about their basketball program. call it what you want, that is the reality.

Hmmm....want to guess who the highest paid public employee was in the State of South Carolina in 2022? I'll help you...Frank Martin, 3.2 million. Dawn Staley, womens coach, 2.9 million. Shane Beamer, football Coach next at 2.75 million.

You still want to tell us South Carolina doesn't care about their basketball program? Really?🙄

13 hours ago, wgstl said:

They care a lot about their Women’s program. They used to be a rabid BB school but agree it’s cooled. They seem to have a really really good team every 5-7 years, ie went final 4 about 5 years ago, but for some reason can’t sustain the success. 

No spread published by Team Rankings yet, but they have a preliminary estimate favoring UMass to win with a one star of confidence. This means that the preliminary estimate for Team Rankings model is pretty much the same as the Wiz's model. Either team can win this game. The stats for both teams are the usual,  SLU is better in 5 out of 8 offensive stat categories, and Umass is better in 5 out of 7 defensive stat categories (we are equal in blocks per game). I think, based upon this information that we have to go in against them with aggressive offense (which is what we are better at) and maintain the pressure the whole game to win it. This is my uninformed opinion.

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

They care a lot about their Women’s program. They used to be a rabid BB school but agree it’s cooled. They seem to have a really really good team every 5-7 years, ie went final 4 about 5 years ago, but for some reason can’t sustain the success. 

They are a huge Womens bball school, that's always been the case. In regards to Beamer, he is a first time HC coach, they got burned on their last coaching hire, so they took a safer contract route. I bet Shane will see a big pay day soon. 

26 minutes ago, Compton said:

Starting the conference season with back-to-back road wins would be solid.

I would imagine two road wins would really boost their confidence.

I think that’s a big part of what is missing.  
I still really believe if they win a few they can really go on a roll!!

34 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Hmmm....want to guess who the highest paid public employee was in the State of South Carolina in 2022? I'll help you...Frank Martin, 3.2 million. Dawn Staley, womens coach, 2.9 million. Shane Beamer, football Coach next at 2.75 million.

You still want to tell us South Carolina doesn't care about their basketball program? Really?🙄

Frank Martin might have been the highest paid employee at the University of South Carolina. He wasn't the highest paid public employee in the state.  That title goes to Dabo Swinney.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Frank Martin might have been the highest paid employee at the University of South Carolina. He wasn't the highest paid public employee in the state.  That title goes to Dabo Swinney.

Correction at the University of South Carolina.  Which was my point. Are you also suggesting that SC doesn't care about basketball?

20 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Correction at the University of South Carolina.  Which was my point. Are you also suggesting that SC doesn't care about basketball?

Caring about basketball and doing the things to set up a coach for long term success are two different things.  South Carolina's history of burning through coaches with proven track records seem to indicate that South Carolina doesn't set their basketball coaches up for long term success.

17 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Caring about basketball and doing the things to set up a coach for long term success are two different things.  South Carolina's history of burning through coaches with proven track records seem to indicate that South Carolina doesn't set their basketball coaches up for long term success.

Somehow it seems that there should be a duality to this goal of setting basketball coaches for long term success. It seems to me that the coach has to show that he is capable of achieving long term success when he is given the means (funds and facilities) to achieve this goal. To fund a coach for long term success when the coach is stuck in non improving mediocrity performance appears to me to be a waste of money. And yes, I have our coach in mind as I post this.

One thing I wanted to add to my original post is that UMass is not very good at protecting the ball.  As you all know,  we are not very good at forcing TOs (19th WITN).   If we pressure them , it is within our realm to force 14 TOs and 6 or 7 steals.  But they will not hand us the ball ...we have to do something.

Just do it.

billiken_roy and Bills71 like this

25 minutes ago, brianstl said:

🤣🤣🤣 It's really not that complicated. I simply asked you if you agreed with wgstl that SC doesn't care about basketball. His words. When your 2 highest employees are basketball coaches, I would say the evidence is overwhelming that yes, they do care about basketball. I made no judgment about their competence or strategic planning. Common sense, however, tells me you don't make those kind of financial investments if you don't care. As for burning through coaches, do I need to remind you that Dawn Staley has the same boss as the men have? That would suggest the administration has very high standards of success...totally incongruent with not caring.   It was a simple question. Do you agree that they don't care?

10 minutes ago, HenryB said:

🤣🤣🤣 It's really not that complicated. I simply asked you if you agreed with wgstl that SC doesn't care about basketball. His words. When your 2 highest employees are basketball coaches, I would say the evidence is overwhelming that yes, they do care about basketball. I made no judgment about their competence or strategic planning. Common sense, however, tells me you don't make those kind of financial investments if you don't care. As for burning through coaches, do I need to remind you that Dawn Staley has the same boss as the men have? That would suggest the administration has very high standards of success...totally incongruent with not caring.   It was a simple question. Do you agree that they don't care?

I must have missed the part where I argued that South Carolina didn't care about basketball.  ALL of the SEC programs care about their basketball programs and have more than enough money coming in to throw at coaches.  South Carolina has cared about their basketball program for decades.  They have hired away coaches that were successful at Duke, UNC and Vanderbilt.  One of those coaches won a National Championship at UNC, another finished runner up and made the Elite Eight at Duke in the three seasons before he took the USC job and the last at his prior two stops took his teams to seven straight post season tournaments (five NCAAs) in seven seasons at non basketball power schools.  None of them them could keep it going at South Carolina.  That points to a bigger long term problem at South Carolina than the coach.