Parker and Cisse

GOSLU68

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Parker doesn't play because his defense is probably the worst on the team.   He makes fundamental defensive mistakes most players learned in 8th grade.  

If he learns, yes he should get more minutes.   For now, the last thing we need is another mediocre to poor defender.

AGB91 likes this

1 hour ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Have you actually watched Parker when he’s been in the game? This is gonna age very poorly.

So I’m not witnessing a guy chucking shots and missing every time? I’ll adjust my television. To think we had a savior on the bench while losing to SIUE, dang it. 

26 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

So I’m not witnessing a guy chucking shots and missing every time? I’ll adjust my television. To think we had a savior on the bench while losing to SIUE, dang it. 

Same could be said about Javonte his first semester at SLU. And he actually looked really good against SIUE, wish he would’ve gotten more minutes

cgeldmacher likes this

I wouldn’t expect anyone to get a big boost in minutes at this point barring an injury.  While we may have given up on a dream of a second weekend tournament run, I know Ford hasn’t.  The only way that can happen is a return to form by Perkins and Okoro.  Beacause of that, for at least a few more weeks they will continue to get major minutes in hopes that they might become who they were expected to be at the start of the season.

Is Ford not aware that the train already left the station? How can that be? If anything can be said about Perkins is that he is not sturdy enough or recovered enough to play well consistently. I doubt very much that he will play the role of savior of this season.

We've long talked about Ford being who he is.  Says he's going uptempo but doesn't.  Says we're deep but reverts to a seven/eight man rotation.  Seems to rely on hero ball.  Is stubbornly loyal to his guys.  And, given his one lone A10 title, I think he knows that no matter what, he can pull of a tournament run because he's done it before.  Once.  

I am sure that given the amount of whispers (and screams) on here, he's hearing them too.  If I were him, giving where we started and all that hype, I'd continue to ride the horses I've got.  He's the chef, as Bill Parcells once said, so he's got to play with his ingredients and go from there.

Old guy likes this

I just wonder if there’s any big donor besides the good Doctor who’s all that concerned with the success of the program. I’d guess the Donnely’s are given they’re behind the champions center, but interested enough to influence a decision on Ford’s future? I don’t know this but speculate Doc C can’t be overly excited at how this season has played out. Like us, he probably expected this team to be ranked and headed for at least an at large. That expectation has pretty much come down to winning it all in B’klyn. But if we are once again an NIT team, or worse, is he and any other influencers going to suggest to May to pull the plug? 

On 1/1/2023 at 4:11 PM, NextYearBill said:

Is this really a thread? Parker is the second coming of Rashad Williams. Cisse has shown less than nothing so far

What do you expect Cisse to show in garbage minutes on the floor with all other freshmen?

part of developing a big is playing through mistakes and growing pains.  Considering our other options look like Brett Jolly half the time, I’d give Cisse some more time. 

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I just wonder if there’s any big donor besides the good Doctor who’s all that concerned with the success of the program. I’d guess the Donnely’s are given they’re behind the champions center, but interested enough to influence a decision on Ford’s future? I don’t know this but speculate Doc C can’t be overly excited at how this season has played out. Like us, he probably expected this team to be ranked and headed for at least an at large. That expectation has pretty much come down to winning it all in B’klyn. But if we are once again an NIT team, or worse, is he and any other influencers going to suggest to May to pull the plug? 

The Novellys.  

SLU_Lax likes this

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Don’t underestimate the power of popular opinion.  If enough of us “regular fans” are vocal about Ford Out, his seat will get very hot.   Unfortunately it would take things getting a lot worse to get everyone on board.  There are many here who are ok with being an annual NIT level or worse  team.  Sustained success=more attendance=longer wait times to get out of the garage and at concessions.  

slufan13 likes this

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

What do you expect Cisse to show in garbage minutes on the floor with all other freshmen?

part of developing a big is playing through mistakes and growing pains.  Considering our other options look like Brett Jolly half the time, I’d give Cisse some more time. 

Is he dominating practices?? I bet he gets worked. 

8 minutes ago, willie said:

They were tight with Biondi. Not sure how active they are with the program. O'Loughlin was the Champions Center lead donor. 

The second largest donation to the Champions Center was anonymous.  The Novellys don't have a big history of attaching their name to their donations.  I am not saying it was the Novellys, but............. I am not assuming the Novelly's quit bankrolling the program because we don't hear about Pestello sunbathing on Tony's yacht.  We never heard about the huge chunk Tony was paying for Majerus's salary.  Everyone just assumed Chaifetz was paying that.  

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

Don’t underestimate the power of popular opinion.  If enough of us “regular fans” are vocal about Ford Out, his seat will get very hot.   Unfortunately it would take things getting a lot worse to get everyone on board.  There are many here who are ok with being an annual NIT level or worse  team.  Sustained success=more attendance=longer wait times to get out of the garage and at concessions.  

I don’t know about the donors but not many posters on here are content with trips to the NIT. This year especially so, since expectations were soooo high, ie national media saying we could make the sweet 16. 

24 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

Is he dominating practices?? I bet he gets worked. 

They’ve been forgetting to send my weekly practice reports, so I have no idea.  I have a hard time believing Okoro and Forrester “work” anyone taller than 6’6”. 

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I don’t know about the donors but not many posters on here are content with trips to the NIT. This year especially so, since expectations were soooo high, ie national media saying we could make the sweet 16. 

There are many here who have been defending Ford tooth and nail for the last two years. They’ve been a bit quieter since the SIUE loss, but they’ll be back the second he stumbles into consecutive A10 victories. 

It’s a hard position to be in as a fan. You obviously root for your team to win, but you know that this coach is not good for the long-term success of the program.  You just hope that the decision makers are brave enough to make the hard choices, even if it means getting rid of someone who did bring life back to this program. 

brianstl likes this

Next time Momo is in the game I encourage everyone to watch him on the defensive end. I forgot what game it was but he didn't allow a single pass to get inside. Fought the whole 30 seconds for position down low and even dove on the floor for a ball or two. Yes, his offense and touch around the rim is a work in progress but this is expected from any freshman big man not in the top 100 of recruits. No?

With that said I personally would like to see more, but Momo is not the answer for a struggling team. 

27 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

There are many here who have been defending Ford tooth and nail for the last two years. They’ve been a bit quieter since the SIUE loss, but they’ll be back the second he stumbles into consecutive A10 victories. 

It’s a hard position to be in as a fan. You obviously root for your team to win, but you know that this coach is not good for the long-term success of the program.  You just hope that the decision makers are brave enough to make the hard choices, even if it means getting rid of someone who did bring life back to this program. 

i think we have to watch and see.   maybe just maybe he is waking up to some of his poor decisions.   for example it was pretty obvious, our point guard decided to play like a point guard instead of trying to be allen iverson Saturday.   was that all on him or did Ford make that decision?   imo it was the difference in the game.  

maybe he is willing to continue with a new leaf?

look i agree what was going on was not going to cut it anymore.   i was a big, defender that he should be our coach.   not because he is good at planning for and managing a game or developing talent but because he has been very good at bringing talent to Saint Louis University.   we have never had the abundance of talent at SLU in my fandom to compare.  and talent always gives us a chance.  those giving up on our current talent imo are just wrong.   i think they just arent being used correctly.   ford might be the champion of square peg in a round hole.  

now i will say his rosters often didnt make sense and left us scratching our head.   for example, we really only have two game ready bigs on this roster.  we really only have 1 point guard on this roster.  but we have a cargo ship full of wings.   

we've all had instances of questioning not only the makeup of the roster but the use with his insistence that he really only use 7 or 8 players even though after the first few players it seems that we could easily be playing 10 or 11 players.   which leads to the question of how we use the team on the floor.   why if we have all these guards and wings arent  we playing fast on both ends of the floor pressing, fast breaking etc.   of course if we only basically use 7 or 8 players their effectiveness playing fast cant be done due to the depth.   not using those next level of guards and wings only will lead to a self fullfilling prophecy of "see they arent good enough" ruined confidence, or disillusionment and transfers.   i hate turnover.  

im still in the "play with ford" camp, but i admit, with the disappointing non conference results, i am on the edge of leaving such.  

last, i want to throw out our horrible program history of bringing in new coaches for all to think about.   other than Rickma and maybe spoon (imo coachingwise, spoon is a level below Rickma) we havent exactly been bringing in 20 year program masters that get us to the tourney.   it's been more like maybe 5 years and start over most of the time.   i really dont want to do that again.  i am too old to go through a rebuild the program again.   

CBFan and Dr Bird like this

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i think we have to watch and see.   maybe just maybe he is waking up to some of his poor decisions.   for example it was pretty obvious, our point guard decided to play like a point guard instead of trying to be allen iverson Saturday.   was that all on him or did Ford make that decision?   imo it was the difference in the game.  

look i agree what was going on was not going to cut it anymore.   i was a big, defender that he should be our coach.   not because he is good at planning for and managing a game or developing talent but because he has been very good at bringing talent to Saint Louis University.   we have never had the abundance of talent at SLU in my fandom to compare.  and talent always gives us a chance.  those giving up on our current talent imo are just wrong.   i think they just arent being used correctly.   ford might be the champion of square peg in a round hole.  

now i will say his rosters often didnt make sense and left us scratching our head.   for example, we really only have two game ready bigs on this roster.  we really only have 1 point guard on this roster.  but we have a cargo ship full of wings.   

we've all had instances of questioning not only the makeup of the roster but the use with his insistence that he really only use 7 or 8 players even though after the first few players it seems that we could easily be playing 10 or 11 players.   which leads to the question of how we use the team on the floor.   why if we have all these guards and wings arent  we playing fast on both ends of the floor pressing, fast breaking etc.   of course if we only basically use 7 or 8 players their effectiveness playing fast cant be done due to the depth.   not using those next level of guards and wings only will lead to a self fullfilling prophecy of "see they arent good enough" ruined confidence, or disillusionment and transfers.   i hate turnover.  

im still in the "play with ford" camp, but i admit, with the disappointing non conference results, i am on the edge of leaving such.  

last, i want to throw out our horrible program history of bringing in new coaches for all to think about.   other than Rickma and maybe spoon (imo coachingwise, spoon is a level below Rickma) we havent exactly been bringing in 20 year program masters that get us to the tourney.   it's been more like maybe 5 years and start over most of the time.   i really dont want to do that again.  i am too old to go through a rebuild the program again.   

I admit I do not have much memory of the coaches pre-Soderberg.  But it seems since then that we are willing to put a little more money and effort into coaching hires. Crews is the obvious exception to this, but he was never in a million years going to be replaced after his coach of the year season (which as we now know, was entirely undeserved— that team coached itself).  Majerus was a program changing hire, and Ford was just what we needed at the time to increase the talent level.  Now go get a coach that can do something with talent (Chris Mack) 

34 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I wouldn't say I've defended Ford "tooth and nail."  I do think he's a damn good recruiter. After watching Brad, Jimmy, and even Romar recruit here, I do not think you lightly throw that away.  I agree, ultimately he is responsible for our record.  You just better be sure you've got a Majerus coming in before you "Brad" Travis...... 

dennis_w and cgeldmacher like this

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

look i agree what was going on was not going to cut it anymore.   i was a big, defender that he should be our coach.   not because he is good at panning for and managing a game or developing talent but because he has been very good at bringing talent to Saint Louis University.   we have never had the abundance of talent at SLU in my fandom to compare.   

we've all had instances of questioning not only the makeup of the roster but the use with his insistence that he really only use 7 or 8 players even though after the first few players it seems that we could easily be playing 10 or 11 players.   which leads to the question of how we use the team on the floor.   why if we have all these guards and wings arent  we playing fast on both ends of the floor pressing, fast breaking etc.   of course if we only basically use 7 or 8 players their effectiveness playing fast cant be done due to the depth.   

im still in the play with ford camp, but i admit, with the disappointing non conference results, i am on the edge.  

last, i want to throw out our horrible program history of bringing in coaches for all to think about.   other than Rickma and maybe spoon (imo coachingwise, spoon is a level below Rickma) we havent exactly been bringing in 20 year program masters that get us to the tourney.   it's been more like maybe 5 years and start over most of the time.   i really dont want to do that again.  i am too old to go through a rebuild the program again.   

The new transfer rules allows a new coach to bring his players with them so it probably won’t take 5 years.

I will only be living with in the area another 5 to 8 years so I am running out of time to watch a top 25 Billikens team play in Chaifetz.

brianstl likes this