The Most Disappointing Team in College Basketball

SLUDrew

28 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

scum calipari is probably a worst floor coach than ford.   calipari gets by because he more times than not has the most talent.   of course he has more recruiting perks than most and probably most not legal.  (he's had to vacate seasons in two different programs).  now with the NiL b.s. more or less legalizing paying the players, kentucky is foolish to even thinking about letting him walk.   wont take him long with those blood thirsty boosters to have more money than the new york mets to pay players.  

those advantages would not follow him to saint louis and i would hope or administration allow such.   

Calapri is the sleaziest coach in sports but I actually think the NIL is going to hurt him. 
If I was KY I would find the best Xs and Os guy around and let the boosters do the recruiting. They will have plenty of money to spend.

With the NIL I don’t think they need a coach like Calapri. 

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

I don’t know about healthy amounts, but Chaifetz concessions have certainly profited plenty off me as a result of our play this season, mostly in the form of my favorite local brew, Budweiser Select. 

Nectar of the gods.  Only reason the boise state game was halfway bearable 

3 hours ago, laker119 said:

Nectar of the gods.  Only reason the boise state game was halfway bearable 

Missed my shot at a Billiken ornament and the national anthem but Urban Chestnut on Washington, serving up the only locally made cider that doesn't taste like flowers or ass, along with some great beers too, makes Bud Select a bad joke.  Two ales for me and two ciders for my lovely wife and there is no pain in Billiken basketball......

2 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Missed my shot at a Billiken ornament and the national anthem but Urban Chestnut on Washington, serving up the only locally made cider that doesn't taste like flowers or ass, along with some great beers too, makes Bud Select a bad joke.  Two ales for me and two ciders for my lovely wife and there is no pain in Billiken basketball......

There is always the day after...

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Not sure how early you would have had to get there to get the ornament but I only saw a couple of people with one and they came up from the restaurant area.  I didn't even see any empty boxes and the gates I normally use.  You may not have missed anything.

We got there probably 50 minutes before tip and there were a good number of ornaments sitting out on tables.  There was no one handing them out, so I’m sure some people grabbed multiple. I would say about 30 minutes before tip when I went out to get nachos, the ornaments on the table near me were already gone. 

SLU’s 7-5 D-1 non-conference record (8-5 overall) is exactly what the current Haslametrics says it should be. Haslametrics says SLU should have lost to Memphis and Providence, but should have beaten Boise State and SIUe.  Per Haslametrics, SLU should go 15-3 in the A10 with road losses at UMass, Dayton and Richmond. That would yield a 22-8 vs. D-1 record (23-8 overall) entering the A10 Tourney. Regrettably, I don’t see that 15-3 happening, as it includes projected road wins at Davidson, where SLU has never won, and at VCU.

The NCAA’s NET today would bestow 32 of of the 36 NCAA Tourney At Large Bids on the Power 5 + 1 (Big East). 23 of the 32 D-1 conferences, including the #12 Conference NET A10, would be one bid, only the automatic bid, leagues. 

CenHudDude likes this

Bay area Billiken. I am glad Haslametrics proved to be this accurate in its predictions for the first half of the season. This does not mean it will be as accurate in the second half, however it is still possible they will have it right for the second half as well. Models tend to be right for while and then go wrong, or go wrong for a while and then go right. Simply stated, models are never reality.

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The NCAA’s NET today would bestow 32 of of the 36 NCAA Tourney At Large Bids on the Power 5 + 1 (Big East). 23 of the 32 D-1 conferences, including the #12 Conference NET A10, would be one bid, only the automatic bid, leagues. 

89% of the 36 spots is approaching the ncaa nirvana.   they dream of having the entire tourney.   so a little more tweeking of the idiotic NET and they will soon have it.   

46 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Maybe the only solution is to expand the tournament

i have always been a proponent of "everybody is in".   however that was prior to NiL.   i believe NiL and the ability to transfer without penalty (no sitting out and forfeiting eligibility while sitting) will so lean the power balance that the power conferences will have tremendous dominance and the likelihood of a split of D-1 for basketball is edging closer and closer all the time.  they will use the corrupt NET to "prove their worthy due" of all the spots if tourney size remains the same, and even if they agree to let them all in, the stength comparison will be so unbalanced it wont mean much other than their one or two games they remain in while all the power conference teams run through the initial rounds most unscathed.   bad times for college basketball imo.  

I essentially believe everyone is already in given the conference tournaments in late February/early March.  You are at that winner-take-all, win-and-advance stage or lose and go home.  

As for D1 blue bloods taking over, I can see that soon.  Much like football, FBS and FCS playoffs.  The model already exists.  The only snag I see right now is money.  And deciding who of the Power 6 is in and who is out.  Gonzaga won't be ahppy with all that.

3 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

We got there probably 50 minutes before tip and there were a good number of ornaments sitting out on tables.  There was no one handing them out, so I’m sure some people grabbed multiple. I would say about 30 minutes before tip when I went out to get nachos, the ornaments on the table near me were already gone. 

Well just to let people take more than they are allowed is not how it should be handled.  By not being better organized the AD is saying other tix holders are not important.  I got a little later than usual because of a traffic accident that held me up about 20 minutes.  I did arrive about 30 minutes prior to the start time and there were not even empty tables out.  I will also say that the parking garage was not as filled as it usually is at that time so you may be correct that people abused the system but if you are not going regulate then it will happen.

25 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Well just to let people take more than they are allowed is not how it should be handled.  By not being better organized the AD is saying other tix holders are not important.  I got a little later than usual because of a traffic accident that held me up about 20 minutes.  I did arrive about 30 minutes prior to the start time and there were not even empty tables out.  I will also say that the parking garage was not as filled as it usually is at that time so you may be correct that people abused the system but if you are not going regulate then it will happen.

MAN am I glad I got that second beer.  My lovely wife said she'd make me a Billiken ornament as she sipped her cider.....

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Maybe the only solution is to expand the tournament

The NCAA owns the NIT.  Drop the NIT, and include its 32 teams into the NCAA to make a field of 100 NCAA teams.

Why does the NIT still exist?  I would not favor dropping the NIT unless its field is absorbed into the NCAA Tourney.  Who would be against that, perhaps ESPN, which has the NIT rights.  But there would seem to be a way to include ESPN in the NCAA coverage.

Some of us have thought the NCAA is keeping the NIT to eventually turn it into the D1-AA Tourney.  Thus, the Power 5, while not wanting to play in the NIT itself, may want it to continue.

JettFlight5 and CBFan like this

15 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The NCAA owns the NIT.  Why does the NIT still exist? 

Some of us have thought the NCAA is keeping the NIT to eventually turn it into the D1-AA Tourney.  Thus, the Power 5, while not wanting to play in the NIT itself, may want it to continue.

You can be absolutely certain that the NIT is maintained as a separate tournament because the NCAA makes more money that way. When the NIT stops producing an adequate level of profits for the NCAA it will be merged with the Dance or something else will be done to recoup the monetary loss.

However with the advent of NILs, assuming the NILs survive the coming economic problems, they may decide to go for the D1-AA tourney option. One tourney for the paid semi pro teams, and one tourney for the scholarship based teams. It is not clear what they are likely to do yet. So far they are still making enough money out of the NIT, and they are keeping their options open.