2 SLU basketball players could lead D1 in a stat

slufanskip

Have we had a player lead the nation in any statistical category in the last 50 years? 

It’s kind of amazing we could have Brooke Flowers lead in blocks and Yuri lead in assists in the same season. Brooke is almost a full block per game ahead of the next player. 

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Seems to me Brooke’s best skill is that she’s tall.  Otherwise, quite robotic and u athletic.

Nah. She jumps well, and her second and third jumps are impressive. She's very fast as well. For the amount that she gets banged around by heavier players she's suffered zero injuries as well.  Quite an athlete, easily the most athletic center the womens team has ever had.

slufanskip and Pistol like this

17 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Seems to me Brooke’s best skill is that she’s tall.  Otherwise, quite robotic and u athletic.

Her high school records would disagree with you. The fact that she's nearly top 25 all time in a physical (not just tall) stat shows she's got more than just a vertical advantage. I know people who are 6' 8" who couldn't block a shot if the basket was 3 feet shorter and behind them.

6 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

She plays against other women who are as tall as she is, they don’t get as many blocks

She's got really good instincts and timing. She's a natural at it. It's more than just height and length.

21 minutes ago, Pistol said:

She's got really good instincts and timing. She's a natural at it. It's more than just height and length.

And she obviously has more to her game than blocks. Before this season, only 2 men and one woman Billiken basketball players had 1000 career points and 1000 career rebounds, Anthony Bonner and Jim McLaughlin for the men, and Arlene Lampe for the women. Add Brooke Flowers to that list, 1020 pts and 1041 rebounds.

slufanskip likes this

On 12/27/2022 at 5:09 PM, Taj79 said:

I'm late to this party, but for the reasons already stated by others, you're just wrong on this. (Although, she didn't have a good game last night. Almost no one did though.)