The Bills over St. J by 6

The Wiz

1 hour ago, Bills By 40 said:

How often have we complained about moving screens? See: Obi Toppin. You and I both know they don't get called a VAST majority of the time. It's how the screen is set far more than it is when. Okoro set the screen with a shoulder, can't do that. 

BUT if that's the logic we're using, let's talk about the turnovers credited to Yuri that are really the fault of the receivers ;)  

its as much the responsibility of the passer that the pass is caught as the receiver.   i go to a lot of youngsters "select" games.   most of the teams have a hotshot on the team far better than the rest.   i see all the time that star make an incredible pass that the receiver isnt capable of catching.  part surprise part just the receiver not being on the same level of skill.   some of yuri's passes are like this.   nice to watch but not catchable by the intended target.

brianstl likes this

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

its as much the responsibility of the passer that the pass is caught as the receiver.   i go to a lot of youngsters "select" games.   most of the teams have a hotshot on the team far better than the rest.   i see all the time that star make an incredible pass that the receiver isnt capable of catching.  part surprise part just the receiver not being on the same level of skill.   some of yuri's passes are like this.   nice to watch but not catchable by the intended target.

I don't disagree but we're not talking about those passes. It's the routine passes that slip through our front court's hands that I'm referring to - and there's many of those. 

25 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I don't disagree but we're not talking about those passes. It's the routine passes that slip through our front court's hands that I'm referring to - and there's many of those. 

I know you are one of his biggest fans, but Yuri has been bad the past few weeks. So has the whole team. Ford has been the worst though. There's time to get it right

brianstl likes this

6 hours ago, willie said:

I think a lot of us feel TJ is not getting enough minutes and here you are trying to take them away. 

Yes I am, in my opinion, but my opinion is about the numbers.

TJ 14.6 minutes, 3.8 points, 2.9 Rb’s, 44.7 FG, 60 Ft, 26.3 3pt.  Nothing special for more than 15 minutes.  
Thatch, 21.7 minutes, 6.6 points, 4.4 Rb’s, 45 Fg, 63.2 Ft, 35 3 3pt.  Okay but the free throw shooting needs to improve.

I have no idea what Thames can do with real minutes but the guys in front of him are not playing well enough in my opinion that Thames should get some of those minutes.

Hughes played quality minutes against Providence he should get in every game.

billiken_roy likes this

12 hours ago, CBFan said:

I have no idea what Thames can do with real minutes but the guys in front of him are not playing well enough in my opinion that Thames should get some of those minutes.

Hughes played quality minutes against Providence he should get in every game.

all you got to do is come to pre-game and watch both.   they are fantastic athletes.   and hughes has did nothing in the few minutes he got to say he shouldnt be playing more.   especially with the fact we dont really have a credible point guard backup.  

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

all you got to do is come to pre-game and watch both.  

This is not enough for me to think a player should ever see minutes. 

-Id settle for the argument to giving Thames and LHJ more minutes to push the veterans to be better. 

Bills By 40 and CBFan like this

The team is coming off a historically bad loss (even though SIUE is pretty decent) and will have had a long break. I would expect to see something different on Saturday. Changes in lineups/rotations/minutes. Obvious new wrinkles to the offense, new defensive looks, etc. Whatever we have been doing so far is just not really working. Something new has to come and this is the perfect time. I'll actually say SLU covers this spread with relative ease on Saturday. We'll see if that continues the rest of the season but I expect a big bounceback to start conference play

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

The team is coming off a historically bad loss (even though SIUE is pretty decent) and will have had a long break. I would expect to see something different on Saturday. Changes in lineups/rotations/minutes. Obvious new wrinkles to the offense, new defensive looks, etc. Whatever we have been doing so far is just not really working. Something new has to come and this is the perfect time. I'll actually say SLU covers this spread with relative ease on Saturday. We'll see if that continues the rest of the season but I expect a big bounceback to start conference play

As much as I agree it should happen, Im not sure you do this on game 1 of conference play on the road. 

I mentioned on a different thread that I wish  the team would fly out today, spend a few extra days on the road, practicing away from home, and maybe throw in a team bonding event

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

As much as I agree it should happen, Im not sure you do this on game 1 of conference play on the road.

Agree 100%.  The only thing I am looking for is to see if Parker will get more minutes as the 9th rotation player, or will Ford use his 8 man rotation without Parker, as is typical of a Travis Ford team.  (Not looking at garbage time minutes.)

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

This is not enough for me to think a player should ever see minutes. 

-Id settle for the argument to giving Thames and LHJ more minutes to push the veterans to be better. 

it's enough to make one wonder.   it comes down imo (just my opinion, no one has told me this) ford has that short rotation so ingrained in his way to run things, he isnt ever going to change.   name one player under ford that moved from the end of the bench to significant playing time.   i cant.  somebody had to be worthy.  

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

i wish you were right but i doubt it.   its his way. 

Well , it wasn't pretty but the computer was happy in that it thinks we did what we were supposed to do.  

Let's see what happened....bolded statements from the original post in this thread.

Make the slash...46/35/78.....This was a yes...we needed to make 1 more 3 (we are getting closer) and 2 more FTs...but we made 3 extra 2s...net gain 1 pt.

Speaking of 3s , if we start making some ,we will win the game handily....missing will make it a nail biter...it was a nail biter.

Stop Reynolds and Brown...hold them to a combined 24pts and seven 3PA each....This was a serious fail and why the game was closer than it should have been....they had 35 pts plus 26..3PA ..way too many...their 3P%s were 42% and 55%...they are both good 3P shooters but this was above their norm in % and shots...4% and 10%...and nearly double their normal 3PA.  Gotta play some 3P D.

Dominate the boards by double digits.... This was right on...Bills by 10

3 TO diff in favor of SLU.....This was a fail as we lost the TO battle by 16-12....This cost us 4 pts  (15-11)...We have been pretty good all year at protecting the ball ...we were careless today... we need to get this back on track as 16 TOs is not a winning stat.

Hold them to 67 pts.... This has been a continuing problem...We did force some steals  (6) and we did force 12 TOs which was an improvement.  If we can keep our TOs down and force some opp TOs we can get that PPG down too.

Bottom line... We won on the road which is always a good thing...there are no easy A-10 road games...file that statement away.  The good news is we could have done better .  And we can use that upside potential in the upcoming games...we will need it.