Happy Festivus Airing of Billikens Personal Greivances

thetorch

2 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

A "lack of palpable motivation," that's it, that's what's ailing the Billikens, IMO. It's like Senioritis. 

I was sitting there during the de facto 4th Quarter Wed. night in Section 108.  Right in front of me, time after time Yuri dribble drove to the hoop and either got stuffed or missed a contested shot.  Three players just stood around and watched.  The Center joined them after he tried to set a pick for Yuri.

Lack of palpable motivation - What is the cure?  The Coach can sit players, but SLU being in the A10 leaves it virtually no margin for error.

Of course, SLU going 12-21, 57.1%, at the free throw line did not help its cause in the 2 point loss.  That wasn't due to that stingy SIUe "free throw defense."

How they can shoot 91% from the FT line one night then shoot 57% the next game makes no sense to me.

23 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

How they can shoot 91% from the FT line one night then shoot 57% the next game makes no sense to me.

It is momentum, and I have to believe it’s mental, in their heads, that one extra fleeting thought. You can’t think and shoot at the same time. You have to be in rhythm, let it flow.

11 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

This is the NIL problem. They're already getting paid and if they have eligibility left, they can just go somewhere else and get paid. There's no incentive if there are already incentives. 

Ok, so don’t they think people who control the NIL money don’t see their games, and don’t scout their performance, and won’t factor it in to any offer they might make? This all seems like basic things, and continued poor performances at another school will directly affect how many offers they get, how much those offers will be for, or even if they get an offer. I’ve seen where 55% of all athletes who enter the portal don’t even get an offer to play again, I’m not sure what the actual figure is but I’d love to know.

This is the NIL problem. They're already getting paid and if they have eligibility left, they can just go somewhere else and get paid. There's no incentive if there are already incentives. 

Ok, so do they think people who control the NIL money don’t see their games, and don’t scout their performance, and won’t factor that in to any offer they might make? This all seems like basic stuff, and continued poor performances at another school will directly affect how many offers they get, how much those offers will be for, or even if they get an offer. I’ve seen where 55% of all athletes who enter the portal don’t even get an offer to play again, I’m not sure what the actual figure is but I’d love to know.

Ok, so do they think people who control the NIL money don’t see their games, and don’t scout their performance, and won’t factor that in to any offer they might make? This all seems like basic stuff, and continued poor performances at another school will directly affect how many offers they get, how much those offers will be for, or even if they get an offer. I’ve seen where 55% of all athletes who enter the portal don’t even get an offer to play again, I’m not sure what the actual figure is but I’d love to know.

15 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

A "lack of palpable motivation," that's it, that's what's ailing the Billikens, IMO. It's like Senioritis. 

I was sitting there during the de facto 4th Quarter Wed. night in Section 108.  Right in front of me, time after time Yuri dribble drove to the hoop and either got stuffed or missed a contested shot.  Three players just stood around and watched.  The Center joined them after he tried to set a pick for Yuri.

Lack of palpable motivation - What is the cure?  The Coach can sit players, but SLU being in the A10 leaves it virtually no margin for error.

Of course, SLU going 12-21, 57.1%, at the free throw line did not help its cause in the 2 point loss.  That wasn't due to that stingy SIUe "free throw defense."

These players have heard the same thing we have all year.  Probably more.  “It’s Yuri’s team,  He’s the go to guy, He’s the leader, He’s the best player, He’s a pro ready point guard.   I know I get tired of hearing it.  Can only imagine how a lot of the others feel.  Yuri is a very good player no doubt.  But let’s be honest.  Bigger athletic guards give him trouble.  He’s not a great outside shooter. When things start going wrong he defaults to hero ball.  I’m glad he’s our point.  But he’s not the best point guard in the nation like Travis likes to say.  It’s almost like there was an agreement to push his name and talk him up if he came back.

4 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Apparently! Two mornings in a row the power goes out, one morning while I’m in the shower. Must be orcs and trolls playing games….

Should've stayed at Knight's Inn unofficial hotel of Billikens.com

10 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Oh god, it would be so on brand right now.

There is a Knight’s Inn in another part of town, but it looks like the kind of place that if wanted you to be dropped off at your Uber driver would say “Are you sure about this?”. Which does remind me of the Billiken’s season so far….