2023-2024 Rotation

thunderdan

For starters, I haven’t given up on this season. Anything can happen during conference season. However, I thought it would be fun to look ahead to next year’s rotation.

Given who is gone for sure (Pickett, Perkins, Okoro, Forrester), who is likely gone (Thatch), and who may seek other NIL opportunities (Yuri), there are many spots to be filled.

Who is in your ideal rotation for next year?

3 minutes ago, thunderdan said:

For starters, I haven’t given up on this season. Anything can happen during conference season. However, I thought it would be fun to look ahead to next year’s rotation.

Given who is gone for sure (Pickett, Perkins, Okoro, Forrester), who is likely gone (Thatch), and who may seek other NIL opportunities (Yuri), there are many spots to be filled.

i would be surprised considering the current NiL b.s. and the now happenings of not sitting out when transferring, that jimerson will also seek other opportunities.   i do not expect he is back. especially since he is so far from home (richmond area).   would seem like a perfect pickup for the likes of virginia looking for a shooter.

we might be looking for an entire new roster next season.   a lot will depend on how far the bottom half of the current roster will tolerate this season.  

the above scenario for Jimerson might define college basketball going forward.

Just now, billiken_roy said:

i would be surprised considering the current NiL b.s. and the now happenings of not sitting out when transferring, that jimerson will also seek other opportunities.   i do not expect he is back. especially since he is so far from home (richmond area).   would seem like a perfect pickup for the likes of virginia looking for a shooter.

I hate saying this, but I don’t think it would be that big of a loss. He doesn’t defend, and teams seem to have ‘figured him out’ defensively. 

i keep reading this but that isnt what i see in the game.   i agree he isnt thatch or the now departed jevon bess or jordan goodwin, but he is at least an average college defender.   he works tirelessly getting open, its just a shame more effort isnt put into giving him screens and plays designed to get him shots.   instead we concentrate on half azzed horrible picks 25 feet from the basket for our version of allen iverson.  

bauman and dennis_w like this

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i keep reading this but that isnt what i see in the game.   i agree he isnt thatch or the now departed jevon bess or jordan goodwin, but he is at least an average college defender.   he works tirelessly getting open, its just a shame more effort isnt put into giving him screens and plays designed to get him shots.   instead we concentrate on half azzed horrible picks 25 feet from the basket for our version of allen iverson.  

He has 8-10 open looks last night and missed all but one.

I think Jimerson is one of the few guys they actually have designed plays for.

The backdoor cuts 3’s off of inbounds plays. 

Besides last night poor performance I think Jimerson has had a nice season.

willie likes this

42 minutes ago, thunderdan said:

Thatch has already said he is coming back. 

SLU_Lax and thunderdan like this

When does the Kid who played on a National Prep Championship team that went 38-0 last year get a chance to play?

I watch him in warm ups he can hit the 3! he was hitting the three better than JImerson last night.

Oh I know I know nothing about basketball but what a waist 6'10".

The roster will be blown up regardless of the ultimate outcome of this season and whether or not Ford is still here after the season. This is one of several reasons May and co should at a minimum take a hard look at other coaching options as soon as the season ends. I would also decline to participate in any postseason other than NCAA tourney. 

6 minutes ago, drkelsey55 said:

When does the Kid who played on a National Prep Championship team that went 38-0 last year get a chance to play?

I watch him in warm ups he can hit the 3! he was hitting the three better than JImerson last night.

Oh I know I know nothing about basketball but what a waist 6'10".

Because it’s the same as every other year. Roster spots 9-13 are essentially practice players, which is fine btw. 

4 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

He has not said this, only that he was considering it last season. He is currently enrolled in a one year master’s program. Seems fairly evident this is his last year. 

Well……..dang

7 minutes ago, willie said:

When he did not enroll in a PHD program it said to me he is probably done after this year. 

Yes, and we all remember he had some significant medical issues two years ago.  How many more years of this grind can his body take?  Does he want to spend those year(s) in college or making a little money and some memories overseas?

37 minutes ago, brianstl said:

As things stand now I would expect between 7-9 of of our top 9 players in minutes to be gone through either graduation, transfer or just being done playing college basketball.  You think this year has been frustrating?  It isn't going to have a thing on next year.

Next year won’t be as frustrating because I’ll expect them to suck.

This year is frustrating with a swift kick to the nuts thrown in. 

CBFan likes this

7 minutes ago, papal said:

Jimmerson is 2 for his last 20 3 point attempts, 5 for last 29; did not perform well against Iona, Drake, SIU-E; half step slow on defense, but not because of lack of effort; quick release of off-balance 3 is difficult for even the best

It’s gonna hurt when he goes somewhere else next year and is a very good role player on a great team.  That’s his role, he was never gonna be a main guy. 

8 minutes ago, papal said:

Jimmerson is 2 for his last 20 3 point attempts, 5 for last 29; did not perform well against Iona, Drake, SIU-E; half step slow on defense, but not because of lack of effort; quick release of off-balance 3 is difficult for even the best

He did mid season last year too before he got going again. It sucks cause we needed him then

The 2 new bigs will be tougher than the 2 bigs playing now.  One of the bigs is a tight end.

Cisse can hit 3 pointers in practice I hope he stays and develops.  When our bigs were in foul trouble Cisse did not get a chance against SIUE?  Forrester made a lot of mistakes Cisse should have gotten a chance.

I watch Kramer in practice he has a strong build a great looking 3 point shot and can dunk the ball.  Kramer looks tougher than Jimerson and had a reputation of playing defense.

I am not sure that Medley will be ready but Yuri is not going to get us the the big dance so I am ready for a change.  If Medley does not drive into the opponents bigs and get his shot swatted away or a miss I see that is an improvement.

If he stays I am looking forward to seeing what Larry Hughes can do, Larry should be playing more and should have some of Thatch’s or Jimerson’s minutes the coach says we don’t have enough athletes of course that’s BS.

The way I see it next season’s team is tougher than the current 8 man rotation.  I think the current 8 man rotation are good kids stuck with a coach that does not have the ability to bring them up so it will be another 20 win season that falls short of the big dance that ends the season with a puzzling NIT loss.

billiken_roy likes this

39 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

We need dogs.

Not NIL wussies selling fruit of the loom sweatshirts with the word “unknown” written on it

I ran out of likes, but this. The Billikens are known for toughness and grit on the hardwood, not the soft mishmash we’re witnessing.

ford has the athletes.  the best ever in his term.  but he did nothing to change anything to play to their skills.  we rarely run, press, etc.   we still play the same way we did when we featured bess, french and goodwin.   nothing wrong with that if we had bess, french and goodwin who were built for toughness and deliberate play.   ford is fast showing he doesnt know how to use the talent he has.  

CBFan likes this