Band?

Cowboy II

The pep band was always great & the decibel level didn’t damage your hearing.  The amplified piped in music is and will.  A class action suit notice might get SLU’s attention.  This is my last season & I’m trying to give away my tickets.  Most games are on the computer or TV.  I received the autographed ball at halftime a few years back, so I’ve seen it all…and I can still play The Billiken Rag on the piano when I get down. 🤔🏀🍷

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Major Majerus said:

The pep band was always great & the decibel level didn’t damage your hearing.  The amplified piped in music is and will.  

Who the hell put the 11 on the amplifier dial?  I thought I was just getting old until I saw my son holding his ears.  It wasn't that loud in years past.....

am i the only one that just hates what our lineup intro videos have become in the last few years?   and talk about too loud and the earth shaking bass and what third grader wrote the "lyrics"?   the videos make no sense and it is beyond me how they inspire the team, the fans etc.  horrible.

34 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

It was pretty weird, no doubt. I’m surprised they didn’t pull it and do something else during that break, bring out the dance team again or something. I could see where that would be a fun thing with the whole band, but with just the few who were doing nothing but sitting there, it was so weird. I can’t figure out why anyone thought it was a good idea.

I always appreciate Dre, let me make that clear. It wasn’t his idea, I’m sure.

Absolutely, the micromanagement in the athletics department ensures this is true.

Just now, billiken_roy said:

am i the only one that just hates what our lineup intro videos have become in the last few years?   and talk about too loud and the earth shaking bass and what third grader wrote the "lyrics"?   the videos make no sense and it is beyond me how they inspire the team, the fans etc.  horrible.

To intentionally misquote Joe Dirt: It's not what YOU like, it's what players and potential players like..

With all due respect.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

if our players like that, it might partially explain why the billikens currently suck.

I think what is happening with the band is just a reflection of a larger problem in the athletic department and the basketball program.  It is about money, power, control and the ability to receive credit for things.  NIL is viewed as a huge threat by some athletic department personal, coaches and even some boosters.  It is why I believe we still haven't seen a collective roll out.

People in the athletic department are worried about losing control over a large amount of donor dollars that justify many of their existence.  Some big donors are probably worried about losing influence to a collective.  Travis Ford is worried about why the program needs a $2.5 million recruiting basketball coach when a hundred average joe fans can chip in $500 a each to get a guy like Jadis Jones to come here in 2024.

When many people feel threatened in their positions, they try to show their power to everyone.  

24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think what is happening with the band is just a reflection of a larger problem in the athletic department and the basketball program.  It is about money, power, control and the ability to receive credit for things.  NIL is viewed as a huge threat by some athletic department personal, coaches and even some boosters.  It is why I believe we still haven't seen a collective roll out.

People in the athletic department are worried about losing control over a large amount of donor dollars that justify many of their existence.  Some big donors are probably worried about losing influence to a collective.  Travis Ford is worried about why the program needs a $2.5 million recruiting basketball coach when a hundred average joe fans can chip in $500 a each to get a guy like Jadis Jones to come here in 2024.

When many people feel threatened in their positions, they try to show their power to everyone.  

This is a good point. Add in that SLU has typically been pretty abysmal with athletics related logistics, and you’ve got yourself a winning combination.

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

They did that in the early 70s. Each game featured a different HS. Might have been 74-75 season when Lew Mckinney played. It was bush league.

Prior to that they had the organ in the Old Kiel. That didn't work either.

Not saying I want it but the organ works for the NY Knicks. 

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

The scene last night towards the end of the women's game with the Billiken Clap, Dre, random kids and the 3 Pep Band members that stayed to watch the game was the cringiest thing I think the SLU AD has ever done. I wanted to hide under my seat.

Perhaps @White Pelicanor @Lord Elrondcan better describe what I witnessed better than I can. 

Yeah, I was sitting on the scorer's table side of the arena. He came up the aisle and tried to recruit just 2 kids from the group behind me. I heard him say I need two. Well, they all wanted to go, so he said, okay, let's all go, it'll be a team thing.

(I didn't know what was up but I suspect he was gonna go out on the floor and let one kid have one side, and the other kid the opposite side. Instead he took the group up to the band area. Just a guess on my part.)

I bailed as they started the clap. Had enough anyway.

billikenfan05 likes this

Can we mobilize season ticket holders, fans, alumni etc.? If no band section can we have everyone go stand in the section pre game at least?

Something like everyone wear black, bring signs: stand with the band, etc....Nothing changes until those above the AD sees there's an issue.

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Can we mobilize season ticket holders, fans, alumni etc.? If no band section can we have everyone go stand in the section pre game at least?

Something like everyone wear black, bring signs: stand with the band, etc....Nothing changes until those above the AD sees there's an issue.

I mean no band will point out to those above the AD that there is an issue. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

FWIW, a collective definitely exists. I think they're working on 501c3 classification right now. I'd assume a roll out comes after that goes through. Total guess on the last part tho

44 minutes ago, willie said:

Not saying I want it but the organ works for the NY Knicks. 

That was idea when they started with the organ. To make it like the old Chicago Stadium or Madison Square Garden. I grew up in NY and used to get into late 60s Knicks games for $2 with your HS ID. The organ was great. For some reason, maybe the particular organ, the organist or acoustics, it just didn't work. Fans never really got into it like at a Knicks game. It didn't help that the fan crowd was sparse. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I have a feeling we're headed to having some DJ set up in the corner 

There already is a DJ at games. He was set up at the end of the court early in the season and has since moved up to the sound booth.    He was the one playing “Eye of the Tiger” (Mizzou’s defacto theme song) during games to pump up the crowd. 

16 minutes ago, TheBand said:

There already is a DJ at games. He was set up at the end of the court early in the season and has since moved up to the sound booth.    He was the one playing “Eye of the Tiger” (Mizzou’s defacto theme song) during games to pump up the crowd. 

Ahh yes, lack of attention to detail. The hallmark of the last 14 years of Billiken Athletics.

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Ahh yes, lack of attention to detail. The hallmark of the last 14 years of Billiken Athletics.

Only 14 years? What, is there a statute of limitations?

My "favorite" though was a past Xmas season when with the SLU students gone home, they let Southwest Missourah fill up the student section.

1 minute ago, White Pelican said:

Only 14 years? What, is there a statute of limitations?

My "favorite" though was a past Xmas season when with the SLU students gone home, they let Southwest Missourah fill up the student section.

I was ballparking the CM era. Don't care enough to know the real number. Nearly ended up in a fight with that group. I tried to repress that memory.

Since everyone is sharing their opinions on the band and music situation. As a 20 something season ticket holder for the last several years personally I couldnt care less about the band. The group I'm with we purposely chose seats on the opposite side of the arena so we weren't too close to the band. My mom loves the band though and I'm sure it is a big part of the experience for some. But not all. This goes back to the what crowd are you looking to please discussion.  Personally I'm fine with the piped in bass. I'm there to have fun.

Regarding the intro video I can almost guarantee the players didn't choose NF (could be wrong but I'd be shocked, maybe that was one of a few options they could choose). He's a politically correct white rapper which bridges the gap between the music the players listen to and music they can play. I hate it too. 

Not trying to offend anyone cause it sounds like the band got a raw deal and I appreciate all the time and effort everyone has put in. Just thought I'd voice a different opinion.

3 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Since everyone is sharing their opinions on the band and music situation. As a 20 something season ticket holder for the last several years personally I couldnt care less about the band. The group I'm with we purposely chose seats on the opposite side of the arena so we weren't too close to the band. My mom loves the band though and I'm sure it is a big part of the experience for some. But not all. This goes back to the what crowd are you looking to please discussion.  Personally I'm fine with the piped in bass. I'm there to have fun.

Regarding the intro video I can almost guarantee the players didn't choose NF (could be wrong but I'd be shocked, maybe that was one of a few options they could choose). He's a politically correct white rapper which bridges the gap between the music the players listen to and music they can play. I hate it too. 

Not trying to offend anyone cause it sounds like the band got a raw deal and I appreciate all the time and effort everyone has put in. Just thought I'd voice a different opinion.

To clarify, I didn't mean the actual artist/song I meant the genre and bass. 
As to the band, I don't have a strong opinion on the bands music per se. However, a live band in an integral part of SLU game day experience and CBB/College Sports in general

AGB91 and JMM28 like this

5 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Agree with all of this. When we had season tickets, we also wanted to be opposite of the band. And i think the piped in music is great although there are times where it should be the band over them. You gotta play that one by ear (pun intended) throughout the game. I also think the intro videos have not only been bad but have actually been uncomfortably bad the past few seasons.

All that said, the AD has failed here. SLU has had a boring/non existent GameDay experience for a long time, this certainly doesn't help.

Also the DJ isn't just an AD decision. There are people in the program who have pushed for this. But again, the AD has to step up and they didn't.