What’s the excuse for tonight?

brianstl

10 hours ago, JettFlight5 said:

I am not saying you are wrong about the recruiting at all. But is that the price of progress? This becomes a moot point if the squad makes some NCAAs.

Of course making the Dance makes all this moot but lets not forget that Crews made the Dances and a lot people let that cover up his issues especially with recruiting.  Sometimes people on the board put too much on recruiting local and so you bring in a new coach and it will take time to build relationships so we just have to expect that and be patient.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/24/2022 at 2:55 PM, cheeseman said:

This not the AD call.  Not knowing the terms of Ford's contract I would still think the school would have to have some angels step up.  I do agree that his success has not been what we should be happy with.  I would also suggest that the local recruiting pipeline would suffer at least at first.

I haven't really been blown away by the local recruits regardless. I don't care if our guys come from St Louis or Timbuktu if they can play.

I also think this is just plain overblown. We will win some from our area and lose some. Like we always have.

On 12/25/2022 at 3:30 PM, Soderball said:

I haven't really been blown away by the local recruits regardless. I don't care if our guys come from St Louis or Timbuktu if they can play.

I also think this is just plain overblown. We will win some from our area and lose some. Like we always have.

with how transferring is now, getting STL players should* increase the likeliness they stay.

I wouldn't worry about local recruiting in identifying a coach or making a decision on whether to keep a coach. We will always have a good sales pitch for local players. Ford has certainly landed some solid local kids, but I am not sure outside of Goodwin we really won significant recruiting battles for many of these guys (maybe Gordon too) or that local recruiting in totality has been a big outlier. The list of local guys we have missed on is also similar to previous coaches (Liddell, Love, Ramey, Kalkbrenner, Fletcher, Reed, etc.). Soderberg who was not a good recruiter landed local guys like Lisch and Liddell, so I think we will always do fine landing local kids especially those who are notch or a few notches below being elite recruits.

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

Is the lack of passing from everyone not named yuri one of our biggest issues?

IMO no.   CF has failed to develop a ball movement offense and instead went with an unbalanced approach where 1 player is relied on way too much to create offense.  In no way is that Yuri's fault.  CF went the easy route instead of implementing a real offense.

brianstl and VeniceMenace like this

5 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

IMO no.   CF has failed to develop a ball movement offense and instead went with an unbalanced approach where 1 player is relied on way too much to create offense.  In no way is that Yuri's fault.  CF went the easy route instead of implementing a real offense.

Not saying it’s yuri fault, and pretty much ya. Not being able to move the ball is imo maybe out biggest issue 

9 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

Was that part of the deal to get Yuri to come back?

Your team…your offense…show the scouts what you can do.

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Not saying it’s yuri fault, and pretty much ya. Not being able to move the ball is imo maybe out biggest issue 

Yes I didn't mean to insuate you were blaming Yuri.  I meant that the over-reliance on Yuri is CF's doing.

1 hour ago, Dr Bird said:

Absolutely. A far cry from Spoonball.

Schasz likes this