What’s the excuse for tonight?

brianstl

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don’t get it. We are basically the same team as last year, but we upgraded (in my opinion) in Picket for Nesbit and we also got Perkins back.  Somehow we are worst.  

Defense is weaker than a kitten.  No consistency, no, what I like to call, “grit”.  We score lots of points when we get to play our game, but if you knock us off our game we become frazzled little school girls.  Blowing big leads and getting skunked in road games means lack of mental toughness and not being prepared aka coaching…

15 minutes ago, dlarry said:

da0103f14e7a4580b819502ecba56e30.jpg

Here is a picture of a guy who can get the program where we want it.

The other guy is coach K.

I would rather hire Chris Carrawell.

Caarawell has been coaching D1 basketball since 2014 at Marquette and starting 2018 to present at Duke.

I watched Carrawell play for Duke and was one of the most fundamentally sound players I ever watched.

I want a coach that can teach defense, blocking out, free throw shooting and how to win and finish big games.

If Carrawell was our coach he could probably convince Cory Tate to come back and both should be able to recruit area players.

I am ready for someone new not a retread coach unless it’s Pitino.

1 minute ago, CBFan said:

I would rather hire Chris Carrawell.

Caarawell has been coaching D1 basketball since 2014 at Marquette and starting 2018 to present at Duke.

I watched Carrawell play for Duke and was one of the most fundamentally sound players I ever watched.

I want a coach that can teach defense, blocking out, free throw shooting and how to win and finish big games.

If Carrawell was our coach he could probably convince Cory Tate to come back and both should be able to recruit area players.

I am ready for someone new not a retread coach unless it’s Pitino.

I’d be ok looking into Carrawell.

Pitino is 70 years old. I don’t want a guy we will have to replace in a few years.

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

1) Mack 2) carrawell 3) Tom izzo - top 3 as of right now for me 

1. Quin Snyder 

2. Any relative of Quin Snyder 

3.. Zombie Rick Majerus 

4. Whitey Herzog 

5. Carrawell or Mack 

6. Carte’Are Gordon player coach until his eligibility  is up then full time coach 

7. Kevin Footes assuming he is still alive 

8. Kristen Fokel Mens BBall coach/womens volleyball coach 

Bizziken and JMM28 like this

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This mizzou Illinois game has be more on the new coach wagon than before tipoff 

This Illini team is absolute garbage. They play defense worse than the Bills.

Mizzou has used the Pitino philosophy. Hack the crap out of them and hope the refs don’t call all of it.

I haven’t really watched more than a few minutes here and there of Mizzou this year before tonight.  The Tigers have are excellent offensively.  I don’t think they can hold up defensively through the SEC season, but the way Gates has them playing offensively will hold up.  Great ball movement.

46 minutes ago, dlarry said:

1. Quin Snyder 

2. Any relative of Quin Snyder 

3.. Zombie Rick Majerus 

4. Whitey Herzog 

5. Carrawell or Mack 

6. Carte’Are Gordon player coach until his eligibility  is up then full time coach 

7. Kevin Footes assuming he is still alive 

8. Kristen Fokel Mens BBall coach/womens volleyball coach 

GREAT NEWS! Kevin Footes is ALIVE!

He is the CEO of the Transform A Life Foundation in Chicago. He can transform the Billikens and breathe new life into the program. He has excellent credentials for the job -- he's been in the program, so he knows exactly what not to do.

Kevin Footes - CEO - TRANSFORM A LIFE FOUNDATION | LinkedIn

dlarry likes this

12 minutes ago, GoSluBills said:

Gates is showing that you don't necessarily need a lot of time to turn a program around in the age of immediate transfers.

If everyone can pay players, Travis Ford has no advantage.  He's just left naked, and can't coach.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Not sure what that is.  Can you explain?  Do you mean that you pass the ball around, to more than one player?  It's a foreign concept here in the Lou

I know I never played anything above Suburban East Conference high school ball, but we’d get yanked from the game if we were caught standing around on the court.

For our Bills, it seems to be part of the CTF offensive scheme.

8 hours ago, dlarry said:

I’d be ok looking into Carrawell.

Pitino is 70 years old. I don’t want a guy we will have to replace in a few years.

I understand your point and it makes sense but this would be similar to the ride Majerus gave us and I am ready to get on that ride again.

10 hours ago, brianstl said:

Just looked at Pomeroy’s rankings, Tigers are 12th in the country in offensive efficiency.  So this game is just a fluke tonight offensively.

Gates was a damn good hire. He is a weird dude, but he'll do well there. Which sucks. 

I am shocked that a school like DePaul passed on him to hire an assistant from the west coast. As screwed up as SLU is, DePaul is super screwed up. 

4 hours ago, CBFan said:

I understand your point and it makes sense but this would be similar to the ride Majerus gave us and I am ready to get on that ride again.

Agreed.  And theoretically, you’d think if Pitino comes and is successful, his replacement will be easier to find and you’d be picking from a better crop of candidates.  That would be an optimal outcome.