GDT: SIUE

Bills By 40

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

When team consistently blows double digit second half leads over multiple seasons with different players, the one constant is probably the issue.

Oh I agree. But I don’t think it’s as much the in game strategy. He does the same crap most coaches do.

I think it’s nervousness and lack of on court leadership that Ford has passed onto them.
Most coaches teach their players how to be winners and mentally strong. 
Ford has taught this team how to be losers and mentally weak.

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

I really don’t think it’s the in game coaching.

I think it’s the scared, timid, nervous, lack of killer instinct, lack of a leader that kills them.

And this is all stuff they have picked up from Ford over the years. At this point John Wooden couldn’t win with this group of learned helplessness. 

I think it's poor roster construction.  Playing guards at forward positions.  They don't match the physicality around the basket.  Javonte has never been a physical defender.  Not having a big that you can consistently give the ball to to get a bucket with his back to the basket.  Having wing players that are limited offensively.  The losses are coming against teams that have solid guard play and that can exploit the frontcourt.  

Pistol, willie and CBFan like this

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

Oh I agree. But I don’t think it’s as much the in game strategy. He does the same crap most coaches do.

I think it’s nervousness and lack of on court leadership that Ford has passed onto them.
Most coaches teach their players how to be winners and mentally strong. 
Ford has taught this team how to be losers and mentally weak.

I think we agree on the team being a reflection of their coach in high pressure situations.  The fact Ford falls apart in those situations as a coach is sort of amazing because he didn’t as a player.

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

The standing around appeared to me to be the result of the Billikens deciding to try to play hero ball.   

Our hero lost the game but since he was allowed to keep driving to the basket throwing that crap up, that's on Ford 

100% agree

its as if he’s afraid to coach Yuri/ tell Yuri “no.” Even the most casual fan knows that isn’t good basketball 

This offense has been built on "one pass".  Stand around and wait for Collins to get you the ball and then shoot it.  There is never a second or third pass that leads to a shot.  No movement of players off the ball.  One or two back door cuts a game, but that is it.  How about continual movement?  Weakest offensive structure I have seen.

Dr Bird likes this

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

This offense has been built on "one pass".  Stand around and wait for Collins to get you the ball and then shoot it.  There is never a second or third pass that leads to a shot.  No movement of players off the ball.  One or two back door cuts a game, but that is it.  How about continual movement?  Weakest offensive structure I have seen.

100% correct. I was going to post something very similar.  All the ball movement is connected to Yuri and it makes it becomes too predictable and easy to defend.

Ford post game:

Team is inconsistent 

Team is very quiet lacks a vocal leader

They give up too many OFF REB magic # is 14 if they give that up they lose

THJ and Okoro are the best jumpers the rest aren't athletic enough to not block out and get away with not doing the fundamentals 

It's on him to find a way to motivate these guys

After listening to Ford’s presser, I just have a hard time believing Chris May will cut the cord if this season ends up being a disappointment.  I think Ford has a way of showing that he has put sooo much effort in (whether this is the case or not) and the players just haven’t bought in.  I wholeheartedly disagree with this assessment from Ford, but I think May is invested in Ford and will give him a longer leash than is warranted, and the program will suffer from it.  Call me a pessimist…

Just now, laker119 said:

After listening to Ford’s presser, I just have a hard time believing Chris May will cut the cord if this season ends up being a disappointment.  I think Ford has a way of showing that he has put sooo much effort in (whether this is the case or not) and the players just haven’t bought in.  I wholeheartedly disagree with this assessment from Ford, but I think May is invested in Ford and will give him a longer leash than is warranted, and the program will suffer from it.  Call me a pessimist…

If that’s true, then Chaifetz will be an empty cavern from here on out.

Bizziken likes this

2 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Ford post game:

Team is inconsistent 

Team is very quiet lacks a vocal leader

They give up too many OFF REB magic # is 14 if they give that up they lose

THJ and Okoro are the best jumpers the rest aren't athletic enough to not block out and get away with not doing the fundamentals 

It's on him to find a way to motivate these guys

I mean in his defense....

I listened to the presser. He talked about how the team was not together or motivated and was not athletic. He did not put the blame on any of the players and that was good. He talked how much he has talked about this and how quiet the team is. Personally, I thought he looked hurt and defeated. He tried hard to defend himself BUT the coach is the one responsible for having the team play together. This is on him and so are a lot of the other games we should have won but did not.