The Bills over SIU-e by 16

The Wiz

7 hours ago, BJK said:

We have success feeding Jake and Francis… We have success dishing to Javonte. We have success when Fred drives and either makes or gets his own boards and puts it back up. Sh$t, we have success when Pickett gets going. We show well when Gibson gets hot or when he is driving and cutting and Yuri finds him. We have Success when TJ runs and Yuri finds him in the air. We have so many pathways to success but I just don’t think Yuri driving into trees…getting stuffed and manhandled… taking horrible shots at low percentages is a recipe for success. Yet we go to that every time we are close… every time it’s late in game. He goes hero ball and it NEVER works. He has won us a few close games at the buzzer and I like his ability to finish inside despite his size but please, please, please fu$cking please don’t make that the game plan when other things have been working all night!!!

best take in the last 12 hours

8 hours ago, BJK said:

We have so many pathways to success but I just don’t think Yuri driving into trees…getting stuffed and manhandled… taking horrible shots at low percentages is a recipe for success. Yet we go to that every time we are close… every time it’s late in game. He goes hero ball and it NEVER works. 

They need to stick with what he does best, he is not Jett in late close game situations, so he shouldn't try to keep doing Jett things. We can win with Yuri in these situations, but the game plan needs to exploit his strengths. If our plan is to take the ball at multiple defenders, trying to draw contact and finish, Thatch should be the one doing it.

I had to give my tix away for last night's game - family obligations with the grandkids. - so I really can not comment on what happened last night specifically, However, it appears overall to me during bad turn of events that some players who decided to come back have realized that their heart is not in the game.  If it were they would play hard all 40 minutes and not find themselves giving up 18 point leads with 10 minutes to play.  If Ford has lost these guys then he simply needs to bench them and start playing others - it can not turn out much worse for him.  If playing time is all that matters to players then use it or step down and let Tate finish the year.  I am sure Ford won't do this but something drastic has to happen.  I don't know his contract situation and maybe somebody can educate me on it but I fear if he has 2 years left after this year then we will see the same show for at least one more full year.  The problem SLU has is when you have fans who have become apathetic about the team and Ford then it is all over.

my recollection of last night is that while we casually went up and down the floor the last 4-5 minutes, edwardsville started running and started shooting (and making) quickly.  i.e.   there was no urgency to continue to build our lead and resorted once again to letting it become the yuri collins show.  

our offense sucks and obviously our defense sucks.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

my recollection of last night is that while we casually went up and down the floor the last 4-5 minutes, edwardsville started running and started shooting (and making) quickly.  i.e.   there was no urgency to continue to build our lead and resorted once again to letting it become the yuri collins show.  

our offense sucks and obviously our defense sucks.

OK but the question is why?  This lack of urgency seems to rear its ugly head more than once.  If the players don't listen then put someone in there who does.  That is Ford's issue not the players.

cheese, i think this is all ford.  (admittedly all my assumption.   no inside knowledge)   he is telling them to work the clock in some sort of prevent mindset.   i doubt the players are the ones wanting to slow things down and go deliberate.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

cheese, i think this is all ford.  (admittedly all my assumption.   no inside knowledge)   he is telling them to work the clock in some sort of prevent mindset.   i doubt the players are the ones wanting to slow things down and go deliberate.  

I think that is what I said.  Hence the let Tate finish the year comment.

I pulled up the game on ESPN+ and reran the last play.  Perkins wasn't open.  He was backing away from Yuri for some reason.  Gibson was open in the corner, and Hargrove was wide open at the top of the arc.  Options were there.  But I'm not sure a wide open Gibson, last night, would have been my pick but second guessing now that we know the outcome, sure, why not feed Gibson.