Billiken Basketball in the modern Tournament Era according to Massey

brianstl

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

im not the coach or athletic director.   but you want me to dictate program changes?  my only point is i think the fandom deserves to see some kind of effort to shake things up to some degree.   

I guess my question was trying to get at what would constitute a shake up? Never said you had to be driving the changes, just more so curious what people on the board would view as efforts to change things. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

you definitely have more patience than me Willie.   ive been a billiken since 1978 and i am at the end of my rope i know you have been a billiken longer than me and your above response is very calm and relaxed.   good for you.   i am not going again tomorrow night.   (3rd miss this year)   and i dont know if i have ever missed more than 3 times in a season since i have had tickets starting in 1988.   and i am not even upset about missing.  when the anger is gone and people start not caring that is a problem.  

You struggled through Ekker, the end of the Grawer years, middle Sodie years, early Majerus years, later Crew & early Ford years, but you are deciding that NOW is the time to stop going to games?

That is crazy.

This team is disappointing compared to expectations, but it is still a well above the average Billiken team of the last 40+ years.  It also has some wildly entertaining individual players / skillsets (Yuri - passing, Jimerson - shooting, Hargrove - dunks/athleticism, etc.) & plays at a decently fast / entertaining pace compared to Billiken teams of the past (see Sodie era).

I totally get being frustrated & disappointed.  I get that leads to less enjoyment of the games.  I just don't see why after putting up with Billiken fandom for so long you'd choose now to give up.

Haven't completely given up but Definitely less passion.   Nothing that about a 15 game winning streak wouldn't cure and a change in the Billiken's manner of performance.

But the enthusiasm is starting to go.   After almost 50 years I'm tired of the same ole same ole 

CBFan and Adman like this

A few proposed changes:

• Make THJ official spirit leader - give him both the accountability and the leeway to push, pull and prod some emotion out of his teammates.
  • Start each half with a private team prayer in the locker room asking for wisdom, focus, and blessings for each other on and off the court (this may already happen; I don't know).
  • Fly J-Good in during a lull in the Wizards schedule to light a fire in some bellies (probably can't happen).

So the players put into the NBA are fairly even for both coaches.  But Majerus' players were way better right?  I'm not a NBA fan but his list of names is more impressive to me.  

This is what we do on message boards go down rabbit holes.   Majerus took Utah to the Final Four, Ford took UMASS to NIT Runner Up.  They're in different leagues. 

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

im not the coach or athletic director.   but you want me to dictate program changes?  my only point is i think the fandom deserves to see some kind of effort to shake things up to some degree.   

So you want something but you aren't prepared to say what.........got it..........

On 12/15/2022 at 9:35 AM, billiken_roy said:

but he might have been further along in development with say rickma as his coach for four years and actually been drafted with better development assistance in college.   to not question the difference and question how much assistance ford and/or his staff gave jordan is naive imo.  

unless he inherited  him after his third season. then he may of treated him like an unwanted step child. 

Billiken Rich likes this

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

You struggled through Ekker, the end of the Grawer years, middle Sodie years, early Majerus years, later Crew & early Ford years, but you are deciding that NOW is the time to stop going to games?

That is crazy.

This team is disappointing compared to expectations, but it is still a well above the average Billiken team of the last 40+ years.  It also has some wildly entertaining individual players / skillsets (Yuri - passing, Jimerson - shooting, Hargrove - dunks/athleticism, etc.) & plays at a decently fast / entertaining pace compared to Billiken teams of the past (see Sodie era).

I totally get being frustrated & disappointed.  I get that leads to less enjoyment of the games.  I just don't see why after putting up with Billiken fandom for so long you'd choose now to give up.

well said.

I do not know if this has relevance here or not but I just watched pieces of a Georgetown vs Xavier game tonight. It was played in a huge arena in DC and judging by the few pictures of the audience, there may have been perhaps 1000 people there. Vast numbers of empty chairs between a few clumps of people here and there. No enthusiasm anywhere. My wife's son went to Georgetown. He was at the game and sent his own pictures of the empty arena.

This is what happens when fans say "enough is enough" and just stop going or caring.

I know this is Georgetown in Big East, not SLU in A10, but do we really want to slowly descend to this level?

11 hours ago, Old guy said:

I do not know if this has relevance here or not but I just watched pieces of a Georgetown vs Xavier game tonight. It was played in a huge arena in DC and judging by the few pictures of the audience, there may have been perhaps 1000 people there. Vast numbers of empty chairs between a few clumps of people here and there. No enthusiasm anywhere. My wife's son went to Georgetown. He was at the game and sent his own pictures of the empty arena.

This is what happens when fans say "enough is enough" and just stop going or caring.

I know this is Georgetown in Big East, not SLU in A10, but do we really want to slowly descend to this level?

No.  We never want to descend to the Hoyas level.

Georgetown has still made the NCAA Tourney 17 times since their great teams of the 1980’s, including deeper runs.. (SLU has made it 8 times in the same time frame) It would still be apples to oranges but DePaul would have been a better example to use.

If you win fans show up. If you don’t win, fans don’t show up. 

Georgetown had an announced 5785 crowd in a 20,000 seat arena for last night’s game. 

The week prior, Georgetown played at Syracuse. A 20,000 plus was at the game. It was the largest home crowd of the season for Syracuse. It was also the smallest Syracuse home crowd vs Georgetown crowd since 1981. 

24 minutes ago, courtside said:

Georgetown has still made the NCAA Tourney 17 times since their great teams of the 1980’s, including deeper runs.. (SLU has made it 8 times in the same time frame) It would still be apples to oranges but DePaul would have been a better example to use.

If you win fans show up. If you don’t win, fans don’t show up. 

Georgetown had an announced 5785 crowd in a 20,000 seat arena for last night’s game. 

The week prior, Georgetown played at Syracuse. A 20,000 plus was at the game. It was the largest home crowd of the season for Syracuse. It was also the smallest Syracuse home crowd vs Georgetown crowd since 1981. 

The post had nothing to do with Georgetown. It’s one poster trying to find creative ways to nonstop bash Coach Ford. 

The board is getting almost unreadable 

My shake up recommendation:

Hire an analyst to look at all aspects of the MBB to provide recommendations to CTF.

Get a retired coach that Ford respects with a record of success.

Think what Bama is doing in FB.  They can't coach or recruit but can analyze and help preparation.

BC1764 and thetorch like this