GDT: vs Boise State

4 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

We listened. He said stuff along the lines of "we didn't play together". "We weren't looking to each other to score we were trying to do it by ourselves"

@laker119

thanks.  I give CF credit for doing the interview.  You can see in his face he wants to win, but he doesn't see the game like Majerus did.  I pointed out last year how unbalanced the assists and turnovers were on our team versus most other teams.  A dribble offense with 1 guy doing most of the dribbling will usually be stopped by a good defensive team. 

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, JettFlight5 said:

The resume now is a strange one:

Good W over Memphis and possible good W over Providence. Maryland and Auburn are not bad losses. Iona on the road is damaging…but Boise at home is flat-out bad. Gotta right the ship against Drake. 

You can right the ship all you want ..only way this team gets in is by winning the conference tournament 

Bizziken and billiken_roy like this

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

Nice words from Ford, however talk is one thing, doing it is another. If he plays the type of game he does all the time, I think the chances are not good. His technique of rewarding those players who show initiative by benching them does not work. We will see.

Talk is talk, we lost the game, a loss is a loss, too bad. Now we are 7-4 and more and more it is looking like we either win the A10 tournament or we do not go to the Dance. Again too bad, Ford talks pretty but where is the performance?

More tomorrow after I check the box score

35 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

We listened. He said stuff along the lines of "we didn't play together". "We weren't looking to each other to score we were trying to do it by ourselves".

Didn't make a whole lot of sense. Probably some more I missed. 

@laker119

Yeah he said a lot of Coach speak that wasn’t particularly persuasive.  He did (not for the first time) openly say the 5 spot isn’t providing enough, which is true. 

3 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

No tournament, no more Ford. Has to happen. Man is killing this program. 

I think there was a palpable turning point in Fords tenure from the Iona game, and today just reinforced the point.  Maybe they can turn it around, I’m not hopeful

6 minutes ago, laker119 said:

I think there was a palpable turning point in Fords tenure from the Iona game, and today just reinforced the point.  Maybe they can turn it around, I’m not hopeful

I agree with this.  

Book on yuri is out.  Pitino showed the recipe, just force him away from the middle and don’t help. 

Man. I haven’t been this frustrated after a loss in a long time.  Ford has no clue 

Bizziken likes this

The worst part for me every year is hearing how much depth we have and then realizing we are a 2 man team.

Take away Yuri and we are done. Especially when Jimerson goes cold and has a bad game like last night. The book is out on Yuri. Now it's up to Ford to find a new way to get him going. Jimerson has hardly had a clean look in 3 games. Get him open. Our bigs get the ball in situations and places they aren't good with. Change that.

8 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Probably ya. I don't know if "achieving anything more" is in SLUs future 

They won’t with this attitude from the fanbase, which let’s keep it real, is a reflection of the program and has been for a long time. If VCU, Loyola Chicago, friggen George Mason can get past the second weekend and beyond, then so can SLU.

8 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

They won’t with this attitude from the fanbase, which let’s keep it real, is a reflection of the program and has been for a long time. If VCU, Loyola Chicago, friggen George Mason can get past the second weekend and beyond, then so can SLU.

The fanbase has nothing to do with the programs success or failure. 

9 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Guys it’s fine! We didn’t need to win this one. We’ll just win the next 2 OOC games! And when we don’t it’s fine! We’ll just coast through a weak A10 conference! And when we don’t it’s fine! Because this is the best we’ll ever be so just shut up and enjoy it because all of the gray hairs on this board suffered through so many bad years and say so!

Spot on. Only thing that’s missing is the blue font.

fords obsession with collins will ultimately cost him his job.   yes he's a decent point guard but he should not be last shot "the man".   and ford lets it go on.   it's getting close to wholesale changes time imo if things dont change soon.   that last 3 minutes last night was extremely painful to watch.   hes not iverson.  hell he isnt even travis ford.   ford played like a point guard.  

38 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

fords obsession with collins will ultimately cost him his job.   yes he's a decent point guard but he should not be last shot "the man".   and ford lets it go on.   it's getting close to wholesale changes time imo if things dont change soon.   that last 3 minutes last night was extremely painful to watch.   hes not iverson.  hell he isnt even travis ford.   ford played like a point guard.  

You’d think eventually he’d take Perk out of the starting lineup if he is only gonna play like 2 minutes at the start of each half.  But we may be expecting too much.  

12 hours ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

It’s been like that for some time. Remember John manning? I can’t recall a time Slu had a consistently physical and fundamentally sound Big? 

We’ve really only had one true “D1 effective against P5 teams” big since I’ve been around.  His issue was 100% mental/psychological.  The is no way he should/could be with SLU now.  CAG

For those of you who do not understand numbers or do not want to understand numbers. Against Boise Yuri's FG/FGA was 5-11 (0.3125), his FT/FTA was 8-11 (0.727). He is a much better FT shooter than he is a real scorer. He did shoot 61% of all the FT attempts shot by the whole team. His number of assists at 4 was abysmal and way lower than what he usually does. His number of TOs 8 out of 14 total TOs was 57% of all the TOs made by SLU during the game.

Surely, he did score 17 pts, but he may have had a good portion of the blame for losing this game. The team was said by Ford to have been unable to play together last night. Yuri has been given the job to direct the team's play and distribute the ball to players that are open, did he do a good job? Not if the team did not play like a team last night.

I would have liked to see this game played with Yuri taken out after his 4th turnover and using Thatch and even Thames in the game instead. But of course these is "what if" mental play that did not and will not happen. I have said it before and will say it again, we would have been better off this year with Ramey instead of Yuri.

Ford has to go, and I hope Yuri gets offered a big NIL by another team at the  end of this season and departs to do what is best for Yuri.

MB73 likes this

7 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

Ford isn’t going anywhere until Chaifetz say he is.

Case closed.

Yeah we know.  He sees what we see.  He is well aware of the support Ford is getting and his pay relative to the rest of the conference and the results. 

How many years left on his contract? Is the money guaranteed?

I didn't want to be right on this one.  He can still make a run and win in the NCAA tournament but I doubt it.