Does Anyone Really Think Ford Still Is A Good Coach After This Mess?

mrjoelabs

1 hour ago, Crewsorlose said:

Point blank, this team doesn't try hard for Ford. They don't like playing for him. He coaches 23 year-olds like they're freshman. They all have one foot out the door psychologically. Ford screams like a maniac on the sidelines. He's not a hot-headed young coach. He's in his early 50s and he's going to blow a gasket if he doesn't learn to calm down. He constantly blames the players for not "getting things." I've never seen a core group in a program for 4 years look so clueless about how to play a zone. 

Ford is a good recruiter. I generally like the sets we run. Jimerson plays big minutes no matter what, despite being one-dimensional. Why? Why did it take forever to realize that Jimerson + Perkins = zero wing defense? Why has TJ been buried on the bench, getting half the minutes of Jimerson and being treated like a freshman who needs to watch and learn? TJ's career 3-point% is right where Jimerson is this year. 

They're likely all gone next year. Ford has no marquee recruits since the Yuri class. Cut bait in March after the Billikens bow out. There's two months left, but this season is over.  

I’m all for getting Ford out of here but if they all hate playing for him why didn’t they leave? You don’t even have to sit out a year anymore. 

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, wgstl said:

There may have been one or 2 other teams, sure.  None of them iirc were a borderline Tournament team. And who knows, Ford likely would have fumbled that chance too. 

Siue has a better chance of making the tourney than SLU does this year.

I like SIUE to win the OVC tourney more than SLU to win the A10 tourney. Both are one bid leagues.

17 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Siue has a better chance of making the tourney than SLU does this year.

I like SIUE to win the OVC tourney more than SLU to win the A10 tourney. Both are one bid leagues.

What the heck does this year have to do with 2019 Covid season 

There are some valid excuses for missing the tournament but the fact that he's never finished above 4th in the regular season of the A10 is almost unfathomable. I mean it's the Atlantic 10. He's being paid like $500k more than any coach in the league right? And he can't finish in the top 3 of a league where half the coaches look like they own their own realtor company and they need your business 

4 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

Point blank, this team doesn't try hard for Ford. They don't like playing for him. He coaches 23 year-olds like they're freshman. They all have one foot out the door psychologically. Ford screams like a maniac on the sidelines. He's not a hot-headed young coach. He's in his early 50s and he's going to blow a gasket if he doesn't learn to calm down. He constantly blames the players for not "getting things." I've never seen a core group in a program for 4 years look so clueless about how to play a zone. 

Ford is a good recruiter. I generally like the sets we run. Jimerson plays big minutes no matter what, despite being one-dimensional. Why? Why did it take forever to realize that Jimerson + Perkins = zero wing defense? Why has TJ been buried on the bench, getting half the minutes of Jimerson and being treated like a freshman who needs to watch and learn? TJ's career 3-point% is right where Jimerson is this year. 

They're likely all gone next year. Ford has no marquee recruits since the Yuri class. Cut bait in March after the Billikens bow out. There's two months left, but this season is over.  

There’s no leader.  No personality.  No identity.  No emotion.  We sleepwalk for 40 minutes.

I really miss French and Goodwin 

Maybe ford has gotten some bad breaks, sure.  But when has he ever overachieved during his tenure at SLU?!?  And getting 3 more wins in a year when you are projected to win 15 does count..   When has he won a big game that we weren’t supposed to win?  Big time upsets are what college basketball is all about and somehow he’s gone 0’fer… it’s mind blowing.

58 minutes ago, Fraz said:

There’s no leader.  No personality.  No identity.  No emotion.  We sleepwalk for 40 minutes.

I really miss French and Goodwin 

This x 1000. I miss French Goodwin Bess leadership. 

JG was the last true leader for us.

Martin Linssen and Jordan Nesbitt were the most vocal and showed by far the most emotion on the floor last year Linssen showed toughness.

Fred is a warrior and this takes nothing away from him.

Ford has been alluding to this since early in the season. Guys not being vocal, etc. Not an excuse for Ford, just an observation.

Yuri is a talent, but does his absence of emotion set the tone for our team?

For some reason some people think that unless a player is shouting and showing all kinds of "emotion" then he is not being a leader.  We may not have a leader on the team - leadership has to happen naturally not a performative act.  Ford gets knocked by some because all he is doing is yelling on the sidelines - which is it is emotion good or bad?  When Ford said the team has a chemistry problem and Yuri said no it does not is very telling.   Bottom line is the buck stops with Ford - if he can not provide the leadership or recruit players who can have that natural leadership then once again the buck stops with him.  Next year if this repeats then Ford will be gone but to expect anything different is not realistic.

JMM28 and slufan13 like this

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

For some reason some people think that unless a player is shouting and showing all kinds of "emotion" then he is not being a leader.  We may not have a leader on the team - leadership has to happen naturally not a performative act.  Ford gets knocked by some because all he is doing is yelling on the sidelines - which is it is emotion good or bad?  When Ford said the team has a chemistry problem and Yuri said no it does not is very telling.   Bottom line is the buck stops with Ford - if he can not provide the leadership or recruit players who can have that natural leadership then once again the buck stops with him.  Next year if this repeats then Ford will be gone but to expect anything different is not realistic.

For Travis Ford to find the chemistry problem, i hope in seeking the answer, he has actually checked his mirror lately.

Bills71 and Crewsorlose like this

50 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

They like the school, their teammates, the assistants, their girlfriends, their family, etc..

Maybe.

I don’t know. Your guess is as good as anybody else’s! 🤷‍♂️ 

whatever the issue is it has destroyed what I thought was going to be a season as exciting as Spoonball/Majerus. 

What is the point of trying to point the pluses or minuses of Ford? Or analyze why the talent in this team stays instead of leaving? Ford is what he is, he is not going to change. We get and will continue getting what we are getting now. This is what Ford has done elsewhere, what he is currently doing at SLU and what he will most likely do anywhere else he goes to after SLU.

If you are happy with Ford and what he is doing, then everything is fine. If you want to keep Ford but pray, hope, and think the way Ford leads the team will change, then things will never be fine. Ford will remain the same he has always been.

55 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

They like the school, their teammates, the assistants, their girlfriends, their family, etc..

Look at the portal, everyone leaves.  Ford has done a masterful job at keeping players who are actually seeing minutes.  I meant to post about this the other week, has ford lost a player who was actually a rotational player we were hoping stayed?

Billiken Rich likes this

1 minute ago, Billiken Rich said:

Go watch the NBA if that is what you're after......

No team in St Louis.

And it's apparently what everyone except you is after; you need only look at the explosion in coaching salaries and now the addition of de facto player salaries.

Your attitude is old and tired, and even worse doesn't win.

BC1764 likes this

19 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Lindenwood is selling season tickets.

Win big or go home. Everything else is irrelevant. Players are getting paid, this is pro sports.

If he’s proven innocent, which would be the only way SLU would hire him, he will be off the market before they can even call. He was making 5 million a year at Texas. There’s no way the AD pays it. 

Also I understand your point about everything else being irrelevant, but this athletic department, and university as a whole,  has proven this kind of thing is relevant. (See Sit. 1 and Sit. 2) 

Soderball likes this

If you're afraid of a guy with a sketchy past coaching a supposed Division I basketball program, then it's not for you. Go watch WashU or UMSL for your liking. Everyone, and I mean everyone, has dirty hands when it comes to recruiting.

20 minutes ago, Soderball said:

No team in St Louis.

And it's apparently what everyone except you is after; you need only look at the explosion in coaching salaries and now the addition of de facto player salaries.

Your attitude is old and tired, and even worse doesn't win.

He can sit on his high horse while every metro area D1 program passes SLU by.

3 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

If you're afraid of a guy with a sketchy past coaching a supposed Division I basketball program, then it's not for you. Go watch WashU or UMSL for your liking. Everyone, and I mean everyone, has dirty hands when it comes to recruiting.

Ok but Beard’s hands are dirty with his own fiancée’s blood.  I’m all for the sleazy recruiting types… give me Pitino in a heartbeat. I’ll pass on the wife beaters. 

Crewsorlose and rgbilliken like this