Does Anyone Really Think Ford Still Is A Good Coach After This Mess?

mrjoelabs

Just now, gobillsgo said:

Ok but Beard’s hands are dirty with his own fiancée’s blood.  I’m all for the sleazy recruiting types… give me Pitino in a heartbeat. I’ll pass on the wife beaters. 

ya wtf.  It was a joke when beards name was mentioned on here. No way can anyone seriously say they want that guy. 

rgbilliken likes this

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm ready to take a chance on the hot shot assistant coach. If he leaves for a big job in 4 years, I'm fine with taking the clear success that came with it and moving on to the next guy who wants to use us as a stepping stone. If he fails miserably, I'll try again knowing that if we have a competitive NIL program in the transfer portal era, we can rebuild quickly. I know that mentality won't necessarily apply to our older fans but that's where I stand. But like I said, I think there is a 90% chance that Ford is our coach next season. The buyout will be big, this team had injuries, and he's tight with big donors.

Or ignore the above and give me Chris Mack. That guy can coach.

Spoon-Balls likes this

3 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Ok but Beard’s hands are dirty with his own fiancée’s blood.  I’m all for the sleazy recruiting types… give me Pitino in a heartbeat. I’ll pass on the wife beaters. 

Even if said fiancée said he didn’t ? I’m sorry, what happened to innocent before proven guilty…oh that’s right. I forgot…this is the same school that ruined the college careers of three kids over a lie.

Just now, slufan13 said:

I'm ready to take a chance on the hot shot assistant coach. If he leaves for a big job in 4 years, I'm fine with taking the clear success that came with it and moving on to the next guy who wants to use us as a stepping stone. If he fails miserably, I'll try again knowing that if we have a competitive NIL program in the transfer portal era, we can rebuild quickly. I know that mentality won't necessarily apply to our older fans but that's where I stand. But like I said, I think there is a 90% chance that Ford is our coach next season. The buyout will be big, this team had injuries, and he's tight with big donors.

Or ignore the above and give me Chris Mack. That guy can coach.

Co-sign with bolded material. 

4 hours ago, dlarry said:

Maybe.

I don’t know. Your guess is as good as anybody else’s! 🤷‍♂️ 

whatever the issue is it has destroyed what I thought was going to be a season as exciting as Spoonball/Majerus. 

Speaking of, I can only imagine what those two and even Grawer could’ve accomplished with the commitment and facilities Ford has.

6 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

There is a coach who gets his hands dirty in recruiting I wouldn’t hate at all: Will Wade. 

I still want Chris Mack as first choice, but I’d take Will Wade too.  Assuming there are guarantees no disciplinary action will follow them here. 

5 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I still want Chris Mack as first choice, but I’d take Will Wade too.  Assuming there are guarantees no disciplinary action will follow them here. 

Mack would be an absolute home run. The fit is as close to perfect as you can get. My big fear is someone else getting to him first. If the school is moving on from Travis, it needs to be quickly so they get first crack at Mack. 

43 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

We should probably wait for all the facts to come out before we make a statement like that about Beard.  Supposedly Beard could have saved his job at Texas if he would have done certain public things (issued some kind of apology, enter into a consoling program) and restructure his contract to make it easier to fire him without pay for any reason.  He supposedly refused to do those things.  I don't think Texas would have gave him any chance to save his job if they thought there was any chance the original story was true.

All that said, I don't think there is any chance SLU considers him and that is probably the right decision.  At a minimum Beard is now in an extremely toxic relationship and it is only a matter of time before there is another most likely public blow up in that relationship.

5 hours ago, wgstl said:

Look at the portal, everyone leaves.  Ford has done a masterful job at keeping players who are actually seeing minutes.  I meant to post about this the other week, has ford lost a player who was actually a rotational player we were hoping stayed?

This may be true but what is the point if the team doesn't win or improve?

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

This may be true but what is the point if the team doesn't win or improve?

the point is, apparently his players do like to play for him, or they would leave. 

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

the point is, apparently his players do like to play for him, or they would leave. 

I had a boss once that everybody supposedly liked but they would not do what he wanted only what they wanted.  The point is they liked him because he never came down on him.  I did not dislike the guy but saw that no real achievement would ever come from him being the boss so I got out as quick as I could find a better situation.  So the players all stay who he plays but we just keep watching them regress and lose - not sure those are the types of players I want.

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I had a boss once that everybody supposedly liked but they would not do what he wanted only what they wanted.  The point is they liked him because he never came down on him.  I did not dislike the guy but saw that no real achievement would ever come from him being the boss so I got out as quick as I could find a better situation.  So the players all stay who he plays but we just keep watching them regress and lose - not sure those are the types of players I want.

Which is probably why Yuri stayed. Ford promised him free rein on the court, to showcase himself for the pros. 

When Ford called out the team, for lack of continuity, Yuri immediately (and publicly) said that his coach was wrong.

2 minutes ago, thunderdan said:

Which is probably by Yuri stayed. Ford promised him free rein on the court, to showcase himself for the pros. 

When Ford called out the team, for lack of continuity, Yuri immediately (and publicly) said that his coach was wrong.

My point exactly - Ford has lost the team.  When that happens only one of two things can happen to improve the situation - get rid of the coach or get rid of the players.  

thunderdan likes this