Does Anyone Really Think Ford Still Is A Good Coach After This Mess?

mrjoelabs

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, wgstl said:

Tbh, this is the first legit year without a valid excuse I’m fords defense besides the 2019 season.  

Turns out those excuses just delayed things getting to the point where what needs to happen became obvious.

This is what we are down to as per Team Rankings model. Thank you Ford. Thank you Yuri.

TeamRankings Logo

Saint Louis Logo

Saint Louis Basketball

Predictions Update
Jan 5, 2023
After losing to U Mass 90-81 yesterday, Saint Louis is now projected to finish the regular season 19-12 (11-7 Atlantic 10).
The odds that the Billikens make the NCAA tournament are down to 15%, a decrease of 5% since yesterday.
We currently rank Saint Louis as the #88 team in the country, and the #2 team in the Atlantic 10.
Next game: Sat, Jan 7 vs. #151 St Bonavent. Our power ratings give the Billikens a 77% chance to win.

Bracketology Projections

Make NCAA Tournament Get Automatic NCAA Bid Projected Seed
(if Selected)
15% 14% 13
Saint Louis almost certainly won't get an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament, so they need to earn an automatic bid by winning the Atlantic 10 tournament.
As for an automatic bid ... Saint Louis has a 14% chance to win the conference tournament. They probably won't win, but there's an outside chance.
We project the Billikens with a 1% chance to make the Sweet Sixteen, but essentially no chance to reach the Final Four.

9 minutes ago, Old guy said:

This is what we are down to as per Team Rankings model. Thank you Ford. Thank you Yuri.

TeamRankings Logo

Saint Louis Logo

Saint Louis Basketball

Predictions Update
Jan 5, 2023
After losing to U Mass 90-81 yesterday, Saint Louis is now projected to finish the regular season 19-12 (11-7 Atlantic 10).
The odds that the Billikens make the NCAA tournament are down to 15%, a decrease of 5% since yesterday.
We currently rank Saint Louis as the #88 team in the country, and the #2 team in the Atlantic 10.
Next game: Sat, Jan 7 vs. #151 St Bonavent. Our power ratings give the Billikens a 77% chance to win.

Bracketology Projections

Make NCAA Tournament Get Automatic NCAA Bid Projected Seed
(if Selected)
15% 14% 13
Saint Louis almost certainly won't get an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament, so they need to earn an automatic bid by winning the Atlantic 10 tournament.
As for an automatic bid ... Saint Louis has a 14% chance to win the conference tournament. They probably won't win, but there's an outside chance.
We project the Billikens with a 1% chance to make the Sweet Sixteen, but essentially no chance to reach the Final Four.

We are going to have to pick it up  if we want to make the tourney......the National Invitational Tourney that is.

3 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Several other teams faced similar tribulations though, covid hit almost all the mid majors at one point or another.

2 hours ago, laker119 said:

Almost all programs, let alone mid majors

I think we were hit the hardest in the country and I think a little bit of research would certify that. Both in quantity and duration. No need to posthumously invalidate that justified excuse because of a current sour taste. 

There is still always an excuse for some.  What we have seen, is what Travis has always been.  It is a reason some of us weren't happy when he got hired.  We got what history said we would get.  

Almost seven years later and Jim Crews still has still won 3 times as many NCAA Tournament games as Travis Ford.

1 minute ago, BC1764 said:

SIUE had it worse. SLU is not special.

There may have been one or 2 other teams, sure.  None of them iirc were a borderline Tournament team. And who knows, Ford likely would have fumbled that chance too. 

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

There is still always an excuse for some.  What we have seen, is what Travis has always been.  It is a reason some of us weren't happy when he got hired.  We got what history said we would get.  

Almost seven years later and Jim Crews still has still won 3 times as many NCAA Tournament games has Travis Ford.

What’s interesting is that if you go back and read some of the articles about Oklahoma State circa 2014-2015, the situation was almost exactly identical to the one we have right now. Zero wins against top 25 teams, loaded roster that severely underperformed, missed tourneys, etc. And Ford was one of the highest paid coaches in college basketball during his tenure there.

Ford has always been a great recruiter but unfortunately I don’t think his coaching abilities have advanced a whole lot in the past decade.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Almost seven years later and Jim Crews still has still won 3 times as many NCAA Tournament games has Travis Ford.

3 times 0 is 0, not to be pedantic, but Ford is in undefined mathematical territory compared to Crews. 😵💫

1 hour ago, NextYearBill said:

IF he stays…. Ford needs to go Blue Chips, Coach Pete mode. Clean the roster, round up the check signers, loosen the ethics - get us dancing 

I mean, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they've already tried this part....

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Almost seven years later and Jim Crews still has still won 3 times as many NCAA Tournament games as Travis Ford.

I said I was wrong about Ford because I did not want him, now I am rescinding saying that I was wrong.

What I wonder is how successful would Ford had been if he took over for Majerus instead of Crews?

Ford would have recruited better but does the team win at Butler, and other tough road games Crews was able to win at.

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

For me it comes down to Ford is being paid too much for these results.

well yes.  Yes he is.  But unfortunately we know it doesn't work that way.

There is no point in talking about how overpaid Ford is. He has a signed contract and said contract specifies his salary, the duration of the contract, and the amount that must be paid to terminate the contract before it expires. SLU overpaid, that is true, now the issue is how to get out of this contractual encumbrance, and obtain a new coach. This is not a minor issue depending on how much must be paid to terminate the contract.

I know the transfer portal changes things but there is almost nothing about the current roster that should give hope for Ford next year either. I just can't see how you allow him to return next season. 

I actually do think this team is going to win 5 or 6 straight games at a point but they just isn't going anywhere this season. That being said, the upcoming schedule is just horrid. Maybe we can win more like 9 straight. Our next 9 (and their kenpom ranking)

St Bonaventure (148)

George Mason (111)

@GW (199) 

@Loyola (184)

La Salle (260)

@Davidson (128)

@Fordham (185)

VCU (115)

Rhode Island (205)

Even with the team playing as poorly as they are, I think you could see 7-2 in that stretch. Anything worse than 6-3 would be a pretty big disappointment. Dayton may be coming on but the A10 is horrible.

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

What I wonder is how successful would Ford had been if he took over for Majerus instead of Crews?

Ford would have recruited better but does the team win at Butler, and other tough road games Crews was able to win at.

Ford would have tried to put his own stamp on the team and messed things up. Say what you want about Crews, but he had the sense to see that the sons of Majerus were coaching themselves and stayed out of their way.

CBFan and HoosierPal like this

Point blank, this team doesn't try hard for Ford. They don't like playing for him. He coaches 23 year-olds like they're freshman. They all have one foot out the door psychologically. Ford screams like a maniac on the sidelines. He's not a hot-headed young coach. He's in his early 50s and he's going to blow a gasket if he doesn't learn to calm down. He constantly blames the players for not "getting things." I've never seen a core group in a program for 4 years look so clueless about how to play a zone. 

Ford is a good recruiter. I generally like the sets we run. Jimerson plays big minutes no matter what, despite being one-dimensional. Why? Why did it take forever to realize that Jimerson + Perkins = zero wing defense? Why has TJ been buried on the bench, getting half the minutes of Jimerson and being treated like a freshman who needs to watch and learn? TJ's career 3-point% is right where Jimerson is this year. 

They're likely all gone next year. Ford has no marquee recruits since the Yuri class. Cut bait in March after the Billikens bow out. There's two months left, but this season is over.