Does Anyone Really Think Ford Still Is A Good Coach After This Mess?

mrjoelabs

34 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

85/249 for 36% and 20/78 for 26%. 

Not saying Fords not ultimately responsible but you aren’t winning on the road vs Maryland, Auburn, and Iona much less at home against a good Boise St team shooting like that. 

It’s not like they haven’t had plenty of decent looks either. Their inside game stinks. Okoro can’t hit a layup. Forester has hands of stone. Yuri is trying too much to make something happen when we can’t hit a shot and he can’t shoot any better than the rest of the guards. 

Ford’s team, he’s accountable but players also have to play up to their capability. And please don’t start with the coach ‘em up or make adjustments or motivate them BS. You’ve seen the games, we’ve had open looks and just missed over and over again. That part isn’t coaching. The players and the coach have all failed so far

Lack of performance in the big moment has plagued Ford’s teams his entire SLU tenure. Obviously he isn’t directly responsible for each instance of poor play (thinking of FTs at Auburn).  As others have mentioned in the past, how a team handles adversity is almost always a reflection of their leaders.  I make leaders plural because it’s not just on Ford. Yuri and Gibson should be considered leaders of this team and they have not been good enough when we’ve needed them to in the big moments.   With that said, Ford is captain of the ship and as such should shoulder the largest responsibility for failures.  If the players are incapable of being coached in-game, then Travis isn’t nearly as good of a recruiter as we’ve been led to believe. It’s high-major D1 basketball. 

Luckily for Travis, I don’t make the coaching decisions. If I did, he’d have been gone after Saturday, if his sorry a** wasn’t already left in New Rochelle. There’s been an excuse for every failure of his entire tenure until now… I’m sick of the excuses. 

Bizziken likes this

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have high goals for SLU:

1.  1st or 2nd in the A10 three + years in a row;

2.  Make some noise in post season;

3.  Then move to Big East.

That's my ultimate goal and the dream.  Is Ford the guy to achieve this goal?  Doesn't look like it and that's disappointing.  Chris Mack is that guy, IMO.

Maybe the SLU program has different goals, and that too is disappointing.  I'll still buy my tickets, be a rabid fan, and enjoy the show, but I'll just know that SLU is just playing for another 4th - 6th place in the A10 and an possible NIT bid with Ford at the helm.

Bizziken and BC1764 like this

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

85/249 for 36% and 20/78 for 26%. 

Not saying Fords not ultimately responsible but you aren’t winning on the road vs Maryland, Auburn, and Iona much less at home against a good Boise St team shooting like that. 

It’s not like they haven’t had plenty of decent looks either. Their inside game stinks. Okoro can’t hit a layup. Forester has hands of stone. Yuri is trying too much to make something happen when we can’t hit a shot and he can’t shoot any better than the rest of the guards. 

Ford’s team, he’s accountable but players also have to play up to their capability. And please don’t start with the coach ‘em up or make adjustments or motivate them BS. You’ve seen the games, we’ve had open looks and just missed over and over again. That part isn’t coaching. The players and the coach have all failed so far

I think the shooting woes are in their heads, a mental issue at this point.  They're thinking too much.  It's like Yogi Berra said, you can't hit and think at the same time.  You have to just let it flow.

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Lack of performance in the big moment has plagued Ford’s teams his entire SLU tenure. Obviously he isn’t directly responsible for each instance of poor play (thinking of FTs at Auburn).  As others have mentioned in the past, how a team handles adversity is almost always a reflection of their leaders.  I make leaders plural because it’s not just on Ford. Yuri and Gibson should be considered leaders of this team and they have not been good enough when we’ve needed them to in the big moments.   With that said, Ford is captain of the ship and as such should shoulder the largest responsibility for failures.  If the players are incapable of being coached in-game, then Travis isn’t nearly as good of a recruiter as we’ve been led to believe. It’s high-major D1 basketball. 

Luckily for Travis, I don’t make the coaching decisions. If I did, he’d have been gone after Saturday, if his sorry a** wasn’t already left in New Rochelle. There’s been an excuse for every failure of his entire tenure until now… I’m sick of the excuses. 

I don’t think it’s actually lucky for Travis as there is no chance you have the ability or the knowledge to make coaching decisions at the D1 level.

I didn’t absolve Coach, nor do I want to. He assembled the team.

Poor shooting which has been the biggest problem in these losses has nothing to do with in game coaching. 

And sorry but regardless of what we want to be SLU is not High-Major D1 basketball 

7 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

The Atlantic 10 is a high mid major league. STOP lowering the standards.

I think it's more a mid high mid major. Or a low high major in it's better years. In down years, it seems to me to be a low mid low high major. These "standards" (and I use the term loosely) are very flexible. More like OPINIONS actually.

Maybe the SLU program has different goals, and that too is disappointing.  I'll still buy my tickets, be a rabid fan, and enjoy the show, but I'll just know that SLU is just playing for another 4th - 6th place in the A10 and an possible NIT bid with Ford at the helm.”

Most fans love that though. That’s how they justify keeping Ford around. See above for an example.

29 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I don’t think it’s actually lucky for Travis as there is no chance you have the ability or the knowledge to make coaching decisions at the D1 level.

I didn’t absolve Coach, nor do I want to. He assembled the team.

Poor shooting which has been the biggest problem in these losses has nothing to do with in game coaching. 

And sorry but regardless of what we want to be SLU is not High-Major D1 basketball 

Wouldn’t that make him even luckier I’m not making the decisions, then?  Because 100% he’d have been unemployed by 11pm Saturday if it were up to me. Most pathetic consecutive performances I’ve ever seen from a supposed conference favorite. 

7 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Bring on former Cardinal Ritter teammate Jahidi White as an assistant, but mostly to just scare the sh*it out of opposing players (note: I have no idea what White is currently doing or if he's involved with basketball at all but I saw him at 3 Kings a few years ago and the dude is an absolute giant).

Jahidi has twin boys who are freshmen at Chaminade. The three of them were in the section behind the bench at the Tennessee State game the other week.

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

I think it's more a mid high mid major. Or a low high major in it's better years. In down years, it seems to me to be a low mid low high major. These "standards" (and I use the term loosely) are very flexible. More like OPINIONS actually.

Why make this as complicated as the new gender pronoun dictionary. A10 is what it is, if we are in it, it is because we want to be in it and they do not want us out.

2 hours ago, Marlow said:

Which players on this team have progressed since last year/beginning of this year?

Thatch has been pretty good and so has Yuri.  Pickett is also playing the best ball of his career.

Let Perkins rest until he’s healthy - he’s not half the player he was

FG % for our guys the first 11 games of last year to the first 9 games this year(SOS is about even that way)

Last year      This year

Gibby       43%                45%            +2%

Yuri           41%                40%            -1%

THJ           47%               41%             -6%

Okoro       56%               48%             -8%

Fred         60%                48%            -12%    

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

FG % for our guys the first 11 games of last year to the first 9 games this year(SOS is about even that way)

Last year      This year

Gibby       43%                45%            +2%

Yuri           41%                40%            -1%

THJ           47%               41%             -6%

Okoro       56%               48%             -8%

Fred         60%                48%            -12%    

We have played some elite level defensive teams this year although that doesn't totally explain Okoro's loss of touch around the rim......

2 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

We have played some elite level defensive teams this year although that doesn't totally explain Okoro's loss of touch around the rim......

1-6 against Murray

3-8 against SIU.

2-5 against TSU

Just now, dlarry said:

For me it’s Okoro. I had such high expectations for him and it hasn’t been close. 

No one was better than Fred in conference play last year for us, so I thought we would see it carry into this year.  Okoro I can see why people would say that, its almost 1a/b.