Does Anyone Really Think Ford Still Is A Good Coach After This Mess?

mrjoelabs

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

When the team consistently underperforms expectations, it seems Travis avoids the credit for that underperformance.

That wasn't his question.  

SLU's recruiting, player development, and coaching, have been at an NIT/NCAA bubble level under the current regime. No more no less. And that all falls under the head coach too, good, bad, indifferent.

2 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

im officially done with Ford. thanks for pulling us out of the crews basement, but we need a new leader to ascend to another level 

He's the 21st century Rich Grawer, now the harder question is who will be Spoon ? Moser, etc ?

I thought I would share Team Rankings report after the game last night. As you can read, in their opinion we are not doing very well. Read the report, taken from the Team Rankings projections, I think our real chance of making the Dance this year will depend upon winning the A10 tournament, 24% as per TR's projections.

TeamRankings Logo

Saint Louis Logo

Saint Louis Basketball

Predictions Update
Dec 11, 2022
After losing to Boise State 57-52 yesterday, Saint Louis is now projected to finish the regular season 21-10 (12-6 Atlantic 10).
The odds that the Billikens make the NCAA tournament are down to 41%, a decrease of 12% since yesterday.
We currently rank Saint Louis as the #72 team in the country, and the #1 team in the Atlantic 10.
Next game: Sat, Dec 17 vs. #99 Drake. Our power ratings give the Billikens a 71% chance to win.

Bracketology Projections

Make NCAA Tournament Get Automatic NCAA Bid Projected Seed
(if Selected)
41% 24% 11
Saint Louis probably won't get an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament, although they have an outside shot.
As for an automatic bid ... Saint Louis has a 24% chance to win the conference tournament. They're more likely than not to lose, but they do have a reasonable shot at winning.
We project the Billikens with a 3% chance to make the Sweet Sixteen, but essentially no chance to reach the Final Four.

More Saint Louis Bracketology | Bracketology For All Teams

Regular Season Record Projection

Current Record Projection For Remaining Games Projected
Final Record
7-4
(0-0 Atlantic 10)
14-6
(12-6 Atlantic 10)
21-10
(12-6 Atlantic 10)
Based on our projections, the Billikens will most likely finish the regular season with a record between 23-8 and 20-11.

More Saint Louis Projections | Projections For All Atlantic 10 Teams

Atlantic 10 Tournament Projections

Get Atlantic 10 #1 Seed Projected Seed Win Atlantic 10 Tournament
27% 1 24%
The odds for Saint Louis to earn the #1 seed in the Atlantic 10 tournament are down 9% since yesterday.
The chance of Saint Louis winning the Atlantic 10 tournament has decreased by 4% since yesterday.

On 12/11/2022 at 11:29 AM, NextYearBill said:

go Penny style..... hire Larry Hughes

How about Carawell, Duke Assoc HC and St L native. Mentored by a HOF coach. Scheyer’s young so Carawell can’t realistically see a path to succeed him in the near future. 

22 minutes ago, slu72 said:

How about Carawell, Duke Assoc HC and St L native. Mentored by a HOF coach. Scheyer’s young so Carawell can’t realistically see a path to succeed him in the near future. 

I've always thought about Carawell coming back home to coach SLU in some capacity. Clearly a lateral move to SLU won't get it done.

Bring on former Cardinal Ritter teammate Jahidi White as an assistant, but mostly to just scare the sh*it out of opposing players (note: I have no idea what White is currently doing or if he's involved with basketball at all but I saw him at 3 Kings a few years ago and the dude is an absolute giant).

14 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Carawell played with great fundamentals.

Carawell played the game the right way and if can teach players to play like him I would be all in for a local guy like that.

41 minutes ago, slu72 said:

SLU can and should do better if they decide to replace Ford in a few years. 

brianstl likes this

58 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I've always thought about Carawell coming back home to coach SLU in some capacity. Clearly a lateral move to SLU won't get it done.

Bring on former Cardinal Ritter teammate Jahidi White as an assistant, but mostly to just scare the sh*it out of opposing players (note: I have no idea what White is currently doing or if he's involved with basketball at all but I saw him at 3 Kings a few years ago and the dude is an absolute giant).

I saw Jahidi White this past summer at one of those huge outdoor pool bars at the Lake of the Ozarks.  Large man.

On 12/8/2022 at 6:16 PM, Coach314 said:

When you guys mention Ford in regards to great recruiting....do you mean Ford or his staff?

Even if his staff does the majority of the recruiting, you never seee a head coach get fired and the coaching staff retained.  It's always a package deal.  Fire Ford and our staff who is great at recruiting St. Louis will be picked up by Mizzou and Illinois.

34 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I don’t see it happening ever, but I’ll throw out Chris Mack’s name. Throw a bunch of money at him and see if he wants to come back to the A10, where he had a TON of success at Xavier.  Probably just a pipe dream, but it’s nice to think about. 

Archie came back. 

31 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I don’t see it happening ever, but I’ll throw out Chris Mack’s name. Throw a bunch of money at him and see if he wants to come back to the A10, where he had a TON of success at Xavier.  Probably just a pipe dream, but it’s nice to think about. 

Not Chris Mack but from that tree, Pat Kelsey current College of Charleston coach, former Winthrop coach, Xavier grad.

1 of the youngest coaches to 200 wins.

85/249 for 36% and 20/78 for 26%. 

Not saying Fords not ultimately responsible but you aren’t winning on the road vs Maryland, Auburn, and Iona much less at home against a good Boise St team shooting like that. 

It’s not like they haven’t had plenty of decent looks either. Their inside game stinks. Okoro can’t hit a layup. Forester has hands of stone. Yuri is trying too much to make something happen when we can’t hit a shot and he can’t shoot any better than the rest of the guards. 

Ford’s team, he’s accountable but players also have to play up to their capability. And please don’t start with the coach ‘em up or make adjustments or motivate them BS. You’ve seen the games, we’ve had open looks and just missed over and over again. That part isn’t coaching. The players and the coach have all failed so far