Does Anyone Really Think Ford Still Is A Good Coach After This Mess?

mrjoelabs

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Compton said:

.639 winning % and the best and second best conference records in the last 20 years in just a three year tenure before OSU plucked him.

Tied for first and third actually with zero tournaments.  Had a losing record in the Big 12.

I don’t think Ford should even be on the hot seat, but many people in this thread really over estimate his spot in the coaching pecking order.  He is a really good recruiter and an average coach at best.  He is what he is and I have come to accept that we are what we are as a program.  We aren’t going to be making second weekend runs in the tournament, but I think we will always be competitive and make the tournament probably four times in the next decade.  

When you adjust your expectations down, it is much easier to accept a loss like the other night.  I am never letting my expectations get above what they are currently again, it has hurt too much over the previous decades.

Box and Won likes this

12 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

Adjusting expectations means one is fine with mediocrity. If the rest of the fanbase feel that way, then tear down Chaifetz and go back to playing at West Pine and or Enterprise.

Louisville was convinced by that logic, get rid of a successful coach to chase a historically great coach. How is that working out for them?

25 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

Adjusting expectations means one is fine with mediocrity. If the rest of the fanbase feel that way, then tear down Chaifetz and go back to playing at West Pine and or Enterprise.

Mediocrity?  Routine finishes in the top third of a good (normally) mid-major conference, 20 plus wins per season, and in the conversation to be "Dancing" pretty much every year is NOT mediocre for a mid-major program.

Take it from a guy who has followed the Billikens closely since the early 1970's ..... Ford is one of the best three Billiken coaches in my time as a fan.  Ford is a keeper, he's building a consistent winner.  Changing coaches will just throw this program back again unless the Adminisration can pull a Majerus type replacement "out of their A$$".

cgeldmacher and almaman like this

34 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Louisville was convinced by that logic, get rid of a successful coach to chase a historically great coach. How is that working out for them?

Great point Rick.  

I think in that case though Louisville success is much different than Ford success (1 NCAA appearance after miracle conference tourney run, zero NCAA wins),  Our bar of success is pretty low if we call what we are going through as success.  I feel like some people get excited when Jon Rothstein tweets about us and we are projected to finish in the top 2-3 in the A-10 in the pre-season.  We have never exceeded expectations, we just adjust them down every season because we want to pretend that Ford's recruiting alone is enough to retain him forever.  This is the worst the A-10 conference has been since probably conference inception.  If Ford can't finish first in this A-10, then I am ready to send him packing.  What else do we really need to see?   

BC1764 likes this

On 12/8/2022 at 6:16 PM, Coach314 said:

When you guys mention Ford in regards to great recruiting....do you mean Ford or his staff?

That doesn’t matter because Travis is the boss and the staff works for him. If they recruit well, Travis is a good recruiter. If they don’t recruit well, he gets blame. Some head coaches are good recruiters regardless of/or in addition to, staff. Some head coaches are good recruiters because they hire people who are effective at recruiting. 

slufanskip likes this

17 minutes ago, courtside said:

That doesn’t matter because Travis is the boss and the staff works for him. If they recruit well, Travis is a good recruiter. If they don’t recruit well, he gets blame. Some head coaches are good recruiters regardless of/or in addition to, staff. Some head coaches are good recruiters because they hire people who are effective at recruiting. 

When the team consistently underperforms expectations, it seems Travis avoids the credit for that underperformance.

37 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

If you’re insinuating that this is on Travis, you hate SLU basketball (blue font)

The team we are playing is 7th in the country on defense and like a slow pace. We are a better team playing fast and are the HOME team..who dictates the pace…Boise State and we played right into what they wanted . No game plan or in game adjustments ..let’s just do what happens ? Not on the players ,,,it’s called coaching. .

mrjoelabs likes this