Does Anyone Really Think Ford Still Is A Good Coach After This Mess?

mrjoelabs

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

In the NIL world guys like Hanlan are who you want as your coach or on your staff.  Supreme recruiting is less valuable and you want people that can develop the skill set of your players.  Hanlan is far from a ridiculous option for any program.

Hanlen would absolutely crush it. I can't believe I've never thought of this.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Hanlen would absolutely crush it. I can't believe I've never thought of this.

So his D1 record is? ah ?.....................not saying he wouldn't be brilliant but honestly a bigger gamble than Coach of the Year Jim Crews?

Floyd Irons would've been less of a gamble.............

Dude has a long track record of just almost but not quite getting it done. 

He's won what?  1 big game ever at SLU?  A10 championship. 

3-9 vs our biggest rivals. 

Time to go.   

I hope like hell he proves me wrong makes the tournament and wins 1 game.  But I'd bet my left nut he won't. 

SLU_Nick and Old guy like this

11 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Dude has a long track record of just almost but not quite getting it done. 

He's won what?  1 big game ever at SLU?  A10 championship. 

3-9 vs our biggest rivals. 

Time to go.   

I hope like hell he proves me wrong makes the tournament and wins 1 game.  But I'd bet my left nut he won't. 

I'll take that bet nutter butter.  Bet my left pinky toe!

5 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

OG - You remind me of Dr. Dolan from Fletch. Have you ever served time?

Dr. Dolan - Fletch | Fashion, Chef jackets, Jackets

Now, how long have you had these pains, Mr. Barber?

That's Babar.

Two B's?

No, one: B-A-B-A-R

That's two

Yeah but not right next to each other. I thought that's what you meant 

MOOOOOONNNN RIVERRRRRRR

32 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

I’ve seen Dayton fans on Twitter calling for Grant’s head since they went 0-3 at Battle 4 Atlantis. 

I checked on Anthony Grant, he has had a long career including a few years as Assistant coach in an NBA team. He had spectacular results in some of his initial years but now he is not doing so well. However, and this is something that is not present in most schools, someone donated a pile of money to UD to create an endowed chair for their head coach, and Anthony Grant is the first holder of the endowed chair. I am not sure if changing head coaches at UD will be a relatively simple contractual issue or how the elevation to an endowed Chair position will change things over. Grant is also a UD alum which may make it harder to change the head coach.

Not in terms of sports, which is not an area I know much about, but in academic terms, I have observed that the output and productivity of renowned professors goes significantly down once they hold an endowed professors chair. It is like they have nothing else to prove now that they have this position. Who knows how this will affect Grant's career at UD.

I’ve been watching college bball for a long time.. this team has the talent to be really good.  Would be top 3rd if in the SEC.

I agree with some earlier posts.  I like Ford but the dude just can’t get over the hump.  Head scratching road losses, team mental breakdowns, embarrassing blowouts.. There has been a common denominator for the last 6 years.

“he could take his’n and beat your’n, then take your’n and beat his’n.”… not so much..

9 hours ago, Old guy said:

I checked on Anthony Grant, he has had a long career including a few years as Assistant coach in an NBA team. He had spectacular results in some of his initial years but now he is not doing so well. However, and this is something that is not present in most schools, someone donated a pile of money to UD to create an endowed chair for their head coach, and Anthony Grant is the first holder of the endowed chair. I am not sure if changing head coaches at UD will be a relatively simple contractual issue or how the elevation to an endowed Chair position will change things over. Grant is also a UD alum which may make it harder to change the head coach.

Not in terms of sports, which is not an area I know much about, but in academic terms, I have observed that the output and productivity of renowned professors goes significantly down once they hold an endowed professors chair. It is like they have nothing else to prove now that they have this position. Who knows how this will affect Grant's career at UD.

Weird, I was expecting an analogy based on your history of treating abuse victims. Strange. Couldn’t squeeze one in here?

slufan13 likes this

7 hours ago, Compton said:

2017: Virginia Tech at MSG

2018: @Seton Hall, Butler

2019: A10 Champs (4 wins in 4 days)

2020: LSU

2022: Memphis

Plenty of other P6 victories, but the ones above stand out.

I don't think any of those teams were ranked at the time of the victory.  I don't consider an early season victory vs an unranked opponent as a big win.   I was at SHU and it seemed like SLU was going in the right direction win again and maybe they'll be top 25. No they lose at Barclay's to Pitt.  I was there to see it along with 12 others including French's mom.   Just like this year when it looks like they're building toward something the next game masters more they lose. 

brianstl likes this

16 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

OG - You remind me of Dr. Dolan from Fletch. Have you ever served time?

Dr. Dolan - Fletch | Fashion, Chef jackets, Jackets

Now, how long have you had these pains, Mr. Barber?

That's Babar.

Two B's?

No, one: B-A-B-A-R

That's two

Yeah but not right next to each other. I thought that's what you meant 

I don't have any.

Children?

No, elephant books.

4 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I don't think any of those teams were ranked at the time of the victory.  I don't consider an early season victory vs an unranked opponent as a big win.   I was at SHU and it seemed like SLU was going in the right direction win again and maybe they'll be top 25. No they lose at Barclay's to Pitt.  I was there to see it along with 12 others including French's mom.   Just like this year when it looks like they're building toward something the next game masters more they lose. 

Can someone please provide some context to our history? In non-conference, what ranked teams did Majerus beat?

billiken_roy likes this

Majerus only ever lost 1 first round NCAA game the man took Utah to the Final Four. Dude had ac track record of teams that played well.   Ford has 1 NCAA tournament win ever 

He is who he is.  He can't win post season games that matter. Hell he rarely can get you to post season games that matter.

College Basketball winning in March is everything.  SLU is paying him the top salary in the league for 1A10 championship years ago.  NBA player, G League player, #1 player for assists in the Nation for 2 years with nothing to show for it. 

12 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Can someone please provide some context to our history? In non-conference, what ranked teams did Majerus beat?

I looked this up. The answer is [drum roll] New Mexico!!!! Amazing. One team. That’s it. Just as a memory for everyone, Duke beat us by 40.

We beat a ranked Xavier. Congrats. We got like 10 bites at that apple during the Majerus-Crews years. It is a little different in conference and not fair to compare.

38 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Right, almost every one of those wins was followed closely by a mediocre to bad loss. There’s been a huge inability to capitalize on any momentum under Ford.   There have been multiple occasions in the last three years or so where we were right on the cusp of top 25 with a big game coming, and never get over the hump.  And those losses hurt when we are in the first 8 teams out of the tournament the last two years.