Does Anyone Really Think Ford Still Is A Good Coach After This Mess?

mrjoelabs

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Having worked emergency rooms, I can tell you the number of beaten women you see that tell you with teary eyes: "it is not his fault" is significant. Let's give him another chance is not a good strategy, the result will be the  same. Leopards do not change their spots.

Come on. We're talking about a basketball coach here, not a fuokin' felon. You really take the cake sometimes.

1 minute ago, NextYearBill said:

Got my World Series, Got my SuperBowl, Got my Stanley Cup...... just chasing one dragon.... sweet 16

Im 36 years old..... will i see it in my lifetime? 

29% chance

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

Come on. We're talking about a basketball coach here, not a fuokin' felon. You really take the cake sometimes.

The message was clear and I guess that prior work in ERs put me in contact with a more violent and less refined clientele than you experienced. The message was clear, he should have gotten us to the NCAA last year and blew it. He looks like he is on the way to do the same this year. If he does not get us to the tournament this year he should be fired. Why waste more money on him.

16 hours ago, Old guy said:

The message was clear and I guess that prior work in ERs put me in contact with a more violent and less refined clientele than you experienced. The message was clear, he should have gotten us to the NCAA last year and blew it. He looks like he is on the way to do the same this year. If he does not get us to the tournament this year he should be fired. Why waste more money on him.

Nm.

10 minutes ago, Old guy said:

OG - You remind me of Dr. Dolan from Fletch. Have you ever served time?

Dr. Dolan - Fletch | Fashion, Chef jackets, Jackets

Now, how long have you had these pains, Mr. Barber?

That's Babar.

Two B's?

No, one: B-A-B-A-R

That's two

Yeah but not right next to each other. I thought that's what you meant 

Spoon-Balls likes this

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

Agreed.  Unless the coach is a local guy or alma mater, if you're not G6 they likely will leave right away.  That's not very fun. IN FACT, if Ford was 40, he may be on his way out to a bigger program based on what he has done here alone. 

Ok let’s slow the roll a little…

1) Ford is still pretty young in coaching terms.  He could still coach 20 more years. Age is not keeping him from moving to a bigger program.  

2) Ford has 1 NCAA appearance at SLU, 0 at large bids. His one appearance was the a10 tourney win as a 6 seed when we were picked first in the conference preseason. We got smoked in the NCAA first round.

3) Ford is 0-2 in NIT games at SLU. 

What bigger program is gonna be lining up to poach Ford with that resume if he’s 42 instead of 52?

TheA_Bomb and Bizziken like this

9 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I served 8 years with an infantry division in the Army reserves. The infantry is not a very refined group of people. Violence and trauma is common during training. My earlier life experiences at an inner city ER was also among violence and trauma prone people than needed help. I learned a lot in both environments. If Ford does not get us to the NCAA  tournament this year he should be fired.

28 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I served 8 years with an infantry division in the Army reserves. The infantry is not a very refined group of people. Violence and trauma is common during training. My earlier life experiences at an inner city ER was also among violence and trauma prone people than needed help. I learned a lot in both environments. If Ford does not get us to the NCAA  tournament this year he should be fired.

I don’t necessarily disagree, but where did this bit come from in the context of the rest of the post?  Anyway, thanks for your service OG 

48 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Dr. Dolan - Fletch | Fashion, Chef jackets, Jackets

Now, how long have you had these pains, Mr. Barber?

That's Babar.

Two B's?

No, one: B-A-B-A-R

That's two

Yeah but not right next to each other. I thought that's what you meant 

M. Emmet Walsh was one of the best character actors in history..........with Mack from "Cannery Row" being my favorite.....

46 minutes ago, brianstl said:

In the NIL world guys like Hanlan are who you want as your coach or on your staff.  Supreme recruiting is less valuable and you want people that can develop the skill set of your players.  Hanlan is far from a ridiculous option for any program.

We'll need a recruiter.  Money is important but it isn't everything....

9 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

We'll need a recruiter.  Money is important but it isn't everything....

I agree it still is important, but it is the only main thing anymore. I not saying Ford should be fired either.  This team will make the tournament.

I am still behind Ford.  Every time the Bills have a bad game, the lynch mob comes out.  It doesn't matter if the team shot 30%, and that's just going to happen once or twice a season and that ain't the coach's fault. Teams have bad nights ..... it happens to the best of teams.

In the meantime Ford produces 20+ win seasons.  SLU is in the A10, a mid-major Conference.  That in itself is Ford's greatest obstacle.  He does a great job recruiting and that is 75% of what is needed to win.  But SLU is never going to get the quality of player to go "Dancing" more then a few times a decade at best.  Talent isn't and won't ever be there to go every couple of years unless you are Gonzaga or SLU gets to the Big East.  Okay ..... now you posters can crucify me.  But me, I'm with Ford.

slufanskip and AGB91 like this

13 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

I am still behind Ford.  Every time the Bills have a bad game, the lynch mob comes out.  In the meantime Ford produces 20+ win seasons.  SLU is in the A10, a mid-major Conference.  That in itself is Ford's greatest obstacle.  He does a great job recruiting and that is 75% of what is needed to win.  But SLU is never going to get the quality of player to go "Dancing" more then a few times a decade at best.  Talent isn't and won't ever be there to go every couple of years unless you are Gonzaga or SLU gets to the Big East.  Okay ..... now you posters can crucify me.  But me, I'm with Ford.

I like Ford. But this kind of thinking is what guarantees perpetual mediocrity. It is also completely contrary to the Top 50 commitment and resulting heavy investment in coach's salary, basketball budget, building of Chaifetz Arena, million+ $ renovation of the locker rooms there, and soon to come Champions Center. We're sure spending a hell of a lot money spinning wheels, buying a bunch of nothing. 

18 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

I am still behind Ford.  Every time the Bills have a bad game, the lynch mob comes out.  In the meantime Ford produces 20+ win seasons.  SLU is in the A10, a mid-major Conference.  That in itself is Ford's greatest obstacle.  He does a great job recruiting and that is 75% of what is needed to win.  But SLU is never going to get the quality of player to go "Dancing" more then a few times a decade at best.  Talent isn't and won't ever be there to go every couple of years unless you are Gonzaga or SLU gets to the Big East.  Okay ..... now you posters can crucify me.  But me, I'm with Ford.

What wood would you prefer for the cross, is pine OK or you would prefer to go fancy and get red oak or black walnut?

billiken_roy likes this

18 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

Ok, sure, Perkins isn't what we hoped for.

But when Yuri came back, this was the year for Sweet 16 or bust.  Now it feels like the NIT will be an accomplishment.  The regression of Okoro and the lack of any game planning whatsoever is all on coaching.  And Ford had no plan to counteract Pitino. keying on Yuri.  This guy had NBA talent at OK State and won nothing. He can recruit but thats it. 

Call me a troll if you want but this was the most disgusting loss I've ever witnessed considering the circumstances and the face it wasn't even competitive.  And then Ford gets a technical because he has no idea what else to do.  This team is poorly coached, ill prepared, and going nowhere without some major changes in philosophy.

A CYC coach could prepare a team better than Ford can.

He’s had NBA talent at SLU 

4 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Throwing out the baby with the bath water leads to a bunch of dead babies.  Is that what you want? Dead babies?  Cliches are stupid as is over-reacting to a bad loss.........

There’s bad losses (Maryland by 30, UAB, Belmont, seemingly impossible blown leads against Auburn back to back years) and then there’s being totally non-competitive in a game against an opponent from the f******* MAAC.  We may as well have not even shown up. Would’ve been less damaging to our tournament hopes. 

28 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

There’s bad losses (Maryland by 30, UAB, Belmont, seemingly impossible blown leads against Auburn back to back years) and then there’s being totally non-competitive in a game against an opponent from the f******* MAAC.  We may as well have not even shown up. Would’ve been less damaging to our tournament hopes. 

It was not a good loss.  I've said it, come to grips with it , and have moved on.  You should too.  You can piss and moan and wish Pitino was coaching the Bills but he's not.  I'm not happy with the outcome either but still not ready to kill all those babies in the bathwater.................................