Does Anyone Really Think Ford Still Is A Good Coach After This Mess?

mrjoelabs

Ok, sure, Perkins isn't what we hoped for.

But when Yuri came back, this was the year for Sweet 16 or bust.  Now it feels like the NIT will be an accomplishment.  The regression of Okoro and the lack of any game planning whatsoever is all on coaching.  And Ford had no plan to counteract Pitino. keying on Yuri.  This guy had NBA talent at OK State and won nothing. He can recruit but thats it. 

Call me a troll if you want but this was the most disgusting loss I've ever witnessed considering the circumstances and the face it wasn't even competitive.  And then Ford gets a technical because he has no idea what else to do.  This team is poorly coached, ill prepared, and going nowhere without some major changes in philosophy.

A CYC coach could prepare a team better than Ford can.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

Call me a troll if you want but this was the most disgusting loss I've ever witnessed considering the circumstances and the face it wasn't even competitive.

A road game, against the top team in their conference, selected preseason to win their conference, against a coach who might know CF's strengths/weaknesses better than any other? "Considering the circumstances" you should either watch more Billiken basketball or are over-reacting.

4 hours ago, Brighton said:

If I’m May, I back up not one but two but three or maybe four Brinks trucks to Porter Moser’s home. Yes, OU is P5, but it’s not a cultural fit let’s keep it real. St. Louis and Chicago are where he made a name for himself.

that ship sailed.   being at a P5 school, we cant compete with that $ wise.  

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

That may have been the best coached game vs. SLU in the past decade. 

as much as i hate the man's scruples and history, there is no denying Slick Rick can coach.   a master at succeeding at all aspects of a college basketball coach.   some of his methodology (in my opinion) is just wrong ethically but if the goal is to succeed, there is no doubt he will. 

slufanskip and VeniceMenace like this

4 hours ago, Brighton said:

If I’m May, I back up not one but two but three or maybe four Brinks trucks to Porter Moser’s home. Yes, OU is P5, but it’s not a cultural fit let’s keep it real. St. Louis and Chicago are where he made a name for himself.

Maybe not this off-season but if he gets run out of OU I'd be calling him the next day.

Unless you have a hot young coach on his way up you will have an older coach who has stepped down if you are not a P5 school.  If the older coach did not  have warts he would still be at a P5 school.  Pitino is at Iona not because he was not successful but because he was a rule breaker.  Ford is here because he was on his way down for not being successful.  If you have a hot young coach on the way up he will do just that move on and up.  It is what it is.

willie, billiken_roy and Old guy like this

34 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

as much as i hate the man's scruples and history, there is no denying Slick Rick can coach.   a master at succeeding at all aspects of a college basketball coach.   some of his methodology (in my opinion) is just wrong ethically but if the goal is to succeed, there is no doubt he will. 

He's shady as the day is long but the man can coach. That was a master class of preparation and execution. 

VeniceMenace likes this

Every coin has two faces. I fully agree that Pitino's preparation for the game yesterday was excellent. The other side of the coin is that Ford's preparation for the game yesterday was poor at best. Once things started going down Ford could not find a way to go up again. I fully agree with Ford that the team had no cohesion and did not play together during this game. The question is why? I think the cornerstone of Pitino's game was to effectively neutralize Yuri and to play a very aggressive game.

I have no idea why we cannot play aggressively, Ford agreed yesterday after the game that we were not an aggressive team. Whose fault is that? I am on the record as not being a fan of Ford. Yes he can recruit, no he is not a good coach. In my opinion he is predictable and relies totally on Yuri to guide the game. Neutralize Yuri and win the game is the plan for our opponents. In prior seasons the winning plan used to be foul Hassahn and win the game. Both techniques appear to have worked reasonably well against us.

I'm a big Ford guy, but with no Tourney appearance this year, I'm probably off the wagon. Doesn't mean I want him fired, but it would likely mean - for me - he has one more year to do something crazy.

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I'm a big Ford guy, but with no Tourney appearance this year, I'm probably off the wagon. Doesn't mean I want him fired, but it would likely mean - for me - he has one more year to do something crazy.

Having worked emergency rooms, I can tell you the number of beaten women you see that tell you with teary eyes: "it is not his fault" is significant. Let's give him another chance is not a good strategy, the result will be the  same. Leopards do not change their spots.

11 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Having worked emergency rooms, I can tell you the number of beaten women you see that tell you with teary eyes: "it is not his fault" is significant. Let's give him another chance is not a good strategy, the result will be the  same. Leopards do not change their spots.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok, well. 

Fraz, slufanskip and stmdragons like this

25 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This is where I am too. I had them with 3 losses in Non-con before the season started and they can still achieve that.

I really want Ford to succeed because it is so hard for a non P5 school to get a coach. 

If the Bills hire the next hot assistant there are 2 outcomes.

1. He fails and we start over

2. He does great gets the Bills to the tournament then bolts for football school.

I think Ford is here as long as he is wanted so I would really like that stability. We just need to see a little more success.

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

This is where I am too. I had them with 3 losses in Non-con before the season started and they can still achieve that.

I really want Ford to succeed because it is so hard for a non P5 school to get a coach. 

2. He does great gets the Bills to the tournament then bolts for football school.

I think Ford is here as long as he is wanted so I would really like that stability. We just need to see a little more success.

Agreed.  Unless the coach is a local guy or alma mater, if you're not G6 they likely will leave right away.  That's not very fun. IN FACT, if Ford was 40, he may be on his way out to a bigger program based on what he has done here alone. 

slufanskip likes this

I'm not sure if this has been posted here, but it gave me a much needed laugh after last night's debacle.  Make sure to check who specifically who replied here.  Can't get the link to work, so I'm positing as a picture:

image.png.5a328a4b544d0a59a57bc78fa6b30b0d.png

Only thing more hilarious would be for one of Jett, Evans, McCall, etc. to have replied with Jim Crews

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm not sure if this has been posted here, but it gave me a much needed laugh after last night's debacle.  Make sure to check who specifically who replied here.  Can't get the link to work, so I'm positing as a picture:

image.png.5a328a4b544d0a59a57bc78fa6b30b0d.png

I love how much Tramaine is talking about SLU on twitter. 

Dang , Jack really did my guy Drew like that.

5 hours ago, SLU-Geo said:

His name should be "4th Place Ford"  If you are happy with a good year being 4th in the A10 then Ford's your guy.

4th place.jpg

Given the bball resources, HC salary, market, etc. not finishing in the top 4 of the A10 every year is unacceptable to this MBM. I'm sure 3 star or someone with knowledge can chime in but finishing 4th in the A10 is rarely going to result in an at-large bid while finishing 5th+ will never.

4 hours ago, dlarry said:

3. He finishes 4th-6th every year in the A10 with mostly NIT invites and the occasional back door (conference tourney winning) entry into the NCAA tournament. 

Kidding aside, my preferred outcome is for Ford to stay and to have sustained success as a perennial top 4 A10, chance to dance every other to 2 years coach. At this point in his 25 year coaching career though, are there any indications he's willing to materially alter his coaching philosophy?

When it comes to hiring a new coach, at what point is SLU wiling to take the risk of #1? And if the outcome is #2, I'd imagine a successful program has more options than a failing or mediocre program with respect to finding the "right" replacement. Which brings up another point: what is the value of a coach that is a strong recruiter but a weak Xs and Os guy in the age of NIL? For one, I guess it depends on the NIL strength of the school boosters.