GDT: @ Iona

This team has major trouble when they play teams with tall athletic bigs who block shots. Maryland and Iona certainly fit that bill. We missed or had blocked enough shots around the rim to have made it a reasonable game. I don't have an answer but fortunately the A10 doesn't have that many tall shot blockers. 

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To you guys advocating for Pitino think about if he were in STL would you be willing to sit in a booth at Favazza's again?

Maybe it's a small price to pay for winning basketball. 

32 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

To you guys advocating for Pitino think about if he were in STL would you be willing to sit in a booth at Favazza's again?

Maybe it's a small price to pay for winning basketball. 

I feel like there’s a good joke here going over my head. 

23 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I feel like there’s a good joke here going over my head. 

google "Pitino at an Italian Restaurant"   fyi might consider results not suitable for work. 

6 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Usually after a night of rest and reflection, the losses don’t seem as bad, but that’s not the case today.  Just a pathetic effort from players and coaches alike. Iona is well coached, but they aren’t more talented. Zero excuse to be totally non-competitive.  I’m envious of the fans who are still able to be optimistic about this year’s team and the direction of this program. I’ll still be there every game supporting the guys, but this year has already been a massive disappointment. 

One final thought:  Ford has to find a way to motivate his players (specifically the bigs) apart from screaming at them and the refs. It’s clear Forrester and Okoro do not respond well to that type of coaching.  How many times a game do we see Travis halfway out onto the court screaming at one of the bigs over a missed blockout or defensive assignment, only for them to fumble it out of bounds, travel, or miss a bunny on the next offensive possession?  I know screaming has been Travis’s M.O. his entire career, but if your players don’t respond to it, you need to adapt, or recruit different players.   

I am generally a Ford supporter, but I think this post is a valid criticism.  I think that the failure of our bigs this season is the biggest reason for our downfalls, and Travis and the staff need to do a better job of handling the guys we have.  I also think that any team of our caliber needs to go into every season with a minimum of 4 bigs.  Ford should have made more of a priority of using that last scholarship to get a transfer big.

6 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Usually after a night of rest and reflection, the losses don’t seem as bad, but that’s not the case today.  Just a pathetic effort from players and coaches alike. Iona is well coached, but they aren’t more talented. Zero excuse to be totally non-competitive.  I’m envious of the fans who are still able to be optimistic about this year’s team and the direction of this program. I’ll still be there every game supporting the guys, but this year has already been a massive disappointment. 

When the Bills had an equally pathetic effort against Maryland we could tell ourselves that maybe Maryland will turn out to be one of the best teams in the country. With Iona we know that isn't the case. There is no denying that there are real problems with the team that will stop them from achieving what we thought they could.

Before that game the A10 looked like a weak conference that SLU might be able to walk through with just a challenge or two from Dayton and VCU and an odd trap game here or there.

Now the A10 looks like a weak conference that SLU may very well win but not easily or in a very impressive way, think 12-6 rather than 16-2.  You can't tell me that UMass and Duquesne (while not great teams) don't look like problems if our defense remains this uninspired.

Bizziken likes this

43 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I am generally a Ford supporter, but I think this post is a valid criticism.  I think that the failure of our bigs this season is the biggest reason for our downfalls, and Travis and the staff need to do a better job of handling the guys we have.  I also think that any team of our caliber needs to go into every season with a minimum of 4 bigs.  Ford should have made more of a priority of using that last scholarship to get a transfer big.

Not sure we need 4 bigs when we have 3 and only use 2. Also, I wouldn't call Forrester a failure. Far from it. He's met expectations thus far, if not surpassed them. That said, Okoro has run completely hot and cold. I'm not sure why, but some games he's dominating, others he looks completely lost out there.

I continue to object to the automatic removal and confinement to the bench after a player picks up 2 first half fouls.  At minimum, this needs to a case by case determination.  Take last night's case of Javon Pickett, a key SLU player.  Pickett was assessed two quick fouls 20 seconds apart at 16:03 and 15:43, the latter resulting in Pickett sub out.  He sat on the bench the next 7:56, almost 8 minutes, returning at 7:47, during which time Iona outscored SLU 22-15.  It was also during this time that Iona went on that 10-0 run to effectively win the game.  Yuri Collins was inexplicably on the bench during part of that run.

Then Pickett was subbed out again at 3:23 for the remainder of the first half, during which time Iona outscored SLU 8-6.  In total Pickett spent 11:19 of the first half's 20 minutes on the bench with 2 fouls.  SLU was outscored during those two time periods by 9 points, 30-21.

Javon Pickett finished the game with 2 fouls.

Conclusion:  Don't blanketly confine players that long to the bench in the first half with 2 fouls.  Take it case by case.  In Pickett's case, he was apparently quite intelligent not to pick up a 3rd foul.

1 hour ago, Compton said:

Not sure we need 4 bigs when we have 3 and only use 2. Also, I wouldn't call Forrester a failure. Far from it. He's met expectations thus far, if not surpassed them. That said, Okoro has run completely hot and cold. I'm not sure why, but some games he's dominating, others he looks completely lost out there.

In my view there is a difference between Centers, the 5 position, who either play in the block with their back to the basket or at the high post near the free throw line, and Power Forwards, the 4 position.  SLU has 3 Centers.  SLU has no high D-1 level Power Forwards in terms of height, no 6'7", 6'8" guys that play facing the basket.  SLU is playing 6'5", 6'4" and 6'3" guys at that Power Forward position, the 4. 

30 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

continue to object to the automatic removal and confinement to the bench after a player picks up 2 first half fouls.  At minimum, this needs to a case by case determination.  Take last night's case of Javon Pickett, a key SLU player.  Pickett was assessed two quick fouls 20 seconds apart at 16:03 and 15:43, the latter resulting in Pickett sub out.  He sat on the bench the next 7:56, almost 8 minutes, returning at 7:47, during which time Iona outscored SLU 22-15.  It was also during this time that Iona went on that 10-0 run to effectively win the game.  Yuri Collins was inexplicably on the bench during part of that run.

I agree with this, it’s a really outdated type of coaching.  I have never really understood the concept of the quick hook after 2

21 minutes ago, laker119 said:

I agree with this, it’s a really outdated type of coaching.  I have never really understood the concept of the quick hook after 2

You've never understood it?  I think you understand but do not agree.  How about three fouls in the first half?  Do you hook' em then?  four fouls?  It's a crap shoot.  We know we lost this game and Pickett ended the game with just those two.  Is it conservative?  yes.  Do we have the benefit of knowing how things turned out?  Yes.  Do a bunch of other coaches do the same thing? Yes...... 

Bills By 40 and cgeldmacher like this

11 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I made a mental note at the time, agree that Pickett being assessed that 2nd foul early really hurt.  When I first started watching the game, a player was not removed in the first half with 2 fouls, usually only when he picked up his 3rd.  Then that changed to 2.  The worst early case was when Rich Grawer removed Monroe Douglass with 2 early fouls in the NIT Championship game vs. St. John's.  Not only did that probably cost us the NIT Championship, it also probably unwittingly allowed Douglass' high school teammate, Roland Gray, to pass him on SLU's all-time scoring list.

Grawer preferred Gray in lots of ways- Grawer is the same coach who had Clagget on the bench while he played his son and Winfield’s son. Grawer belonged in high school 

11 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

How do you know he didn’t try to do that?  What we have might have been all that’s available/willing to come here.

Whether by design or through the lack of players, when has Ford's offense incorporated more than one big on the floor at a time?  Foreman and French didn't see much time together.  Jimmy Bell started with French then sat.  The it was French and Linssen but never with each other.  Then Okoro or Linssen now Okoro or Forrester.  Have we played undersize3d fours becuase we don't have any or because Ford's offense doesn't want one?

Next year, the front lien is currently Cisse, Vice and Zhang.  Two projects.  Two freshmen.  Can't see much change there.

True and thanks for that.  Assuming everyone graduates including Thatch and both Collins and Jimerson take off for greener NIL pastures, that leaves these three along with Thames, Rivera, Kramer, Hargrove, Parker, Medley, and Hughes on the roster.  That's ten scholarships (again assuming Hughes gets one).  Not a single one has any demonstrated D1 talent of note.  

Next year is shaping up as quite an odyssey.  I can only guess we are banking on the portal for three decent guys to come in and somehow improve the outlook.  

We need to change the current narrative and find the team we all thought we were going to have this year.  Starts Saturday.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

True and thanks for that.  Assuming everyone graduates including Thatch and both Collins and Jimerson take off for greener NIL pastures, that leaves these three along with Thames, Rivera, Kramer, Hargrove, Parker, Medley, and Hughes on the roster.  That's ten scholarships (again assuming Hughes gets one).  Not a single one has any demonstrated D1 talent of note.  

Next year is shaping up as quite an odyssey.  I can only guess we are banking on the portal for three decent guys to come in and somehow improve the outlook.  

We need to change the current narrative and find the team we all thought we were going to have this year.  Starts Saturday.

I am not worried about Billiken recruiting as long as Travis is our coach....

AGB91 likes this

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

I am not worried about Billiken recruiting as long as Travis is out coach....

Nor am I worried about Collins and Jimerson leaving for anywhere besides pro careers. 

More importantly, if those two or even just Yuri returns - we are a top, like, 10 transfer destination in the country.  

@Bills By 40and @Billiken RichI applaud your steadfast beliefs.  

Collins:  he has already tested the NBA waters and entertained NIL offers elsewhere.  If he has met the NBA evaluations and improved, why stick around?  If he needs more improvements for the NBA, wouldn't doing so at an SEC or ACC or Big Ten school provide more opportunities for such?  Staying at SLU only means he can pursue some NCAA assist record and he would do so with less competent players around him.  Maybe Cisse and Zhang replace the bunnies currently being dished off to Okoro.  Sounds like a wishful dream scenario.

Jimerson:  He might have a second degree in hand come December.  I spoke to members of his family at the Mohegan tournament.  They said he is taking enough second semester classes to stay eligible.  Smart move.  But they lamented the distance between them and seeing him play in games in person.  Virginia and VA Tech are much closer and convenient to them in ACC territory.  NC State and Duke are 2.5 hours down the road; Chapel Hill another 15.  Why not?  

This is huge Debbie Downer stuff and I  expect to be crucified for it.  Reality bites.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

@Bills By 40and @Billiken RichI applaud your steadfast beliefs.  

Collins:  he has already tested the NBA waters and entertained NIL offers elsewhere.  If he has met the NBA evaluations and improved, why stick around?  If he needs more improvements for the NBA, wouldn't doing so at an SEC or ACC or Big Ten school provide more opportunities for such?  Staying at SLU only means he can pursue some NCAA assist record and he would do so with less competent players around him.  Maybe Cisse and Zhang replace the bunnies currently being dished off to Okoro.  Sounds like a wishful dream scenario.

Jimerson:  He might have a second degree in hand come December.  I spoke to members of his family at the Mohegan tournament.  They said he is taking enough second semester classes to stay eligible.  Smart move.  But they lamented the distance between them and seeing him play in games in person.  Virginia and VA Tech are much closer and convenient to them in ACC territory.  NC State and Duke are 2.5 hours down the road; Chapel Hill another 15.  Why not?  

This is huge Debbie Downer stuff and I  expect to be crucified for it.  Reality bites.

I don't disagree with you at all as much as it pains me to think about... They stayed for the year we were supposed to have. They have no reason to hang around another season. Go do big things. They have given plenty to SLU.

We all think Travis is a great recruiter. As do I. I think he is basically going to have to replace his whole roster for next year . I have no idea who will be back .Wouldn’t want to put much money on anyone coming back. You can no longer say well we know a Parker will be back. 

9 minutes ago, willie said:

We all think Travis is a great recruiter. As do I. I think he is basically going to have to replace his whole roster for next year . I have no idea who will be back .Wouldn’t want to put much money on anyone coming back. You can no longer say well we know a Parker will be back. 

Not sure who I'd be concerned with losing at this point.  I don't think I'll miss Jimerson as much as some.  I do have confidence in Travis' recruiting.............