GDT: @ Iona

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another devastating road lost by an under performing Ford team…

I got in an accident on the way home tonight and as I was picking chard’s of glass out of my hair while sitting on the side of the road I thought, well at least I can sit here and listen to the bills game on the radio.. I was not emotionally strong enough to listen to the second half.

majerus mojo and Bizziken like this

3 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

I got in an accident on the way home tonight and as I was picking chard’s of glass out of my hair while sitting on the side of the road I thought, well at least I can sit here and listen to the bills game on the radio.. I was not emotionally strong enough to listen to the second half.

That is the saddest thing I've ever heard.  I Love you man and hope that you and yours are safe and whole and have a better day tomorrow.   God love you brother!

SLU_Lax likes this

46 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

That is where I am at. I think maybe the record on paper could be in line with what I would have predicted, but at this point we just aren’t as good as I was hoping. This has to be the year!

Agree. Not at all surprised if we end non con with 3 losses but def surprised with 2 total blowouts and the complete rest of the league being trash. 

2 minutes ago, 2010andBeyond said:

Agree. Not at all surprised if we end non con with 3 losses but def surprised with 2 total blowouts and the complete rest of the league being trash. 

F the A10 we're going to have to treat them like the trash they are...................................

21 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Careful with anything that might be left in your hair that could transfer to your pillow tonight and get into your eyes. Little tiny pieces of glass in your hair are not a good thing to have.

Iona is good. That still wasn't acceptable.

We still have a good team although probably not as good as we hoped. Just have to put it all together at the right time. The A10 is kind of horrid this year so we have time. It's fair to wonder if we will though. Gotta win away from home

Usually after a night of rest and reflection, the losses don’t seem as bad, but that’s not the case today.  Just a pathetic effort from players and coaches alike. Iona is well coached, but they aren’t more talented. Zero excuse to be totally non-competitive.  I’m envious of the fans who are still able to be optimistic about this year’s team and the direction of this program. I’ll still be there every game supporting the guys, but this year has already been a massive disappointment. 

One final thought:  Ford has to find a way to motivate his players (specifically the bigs) apart from screaming at them and the refs. It’s clear Forrester and Okoro do not respond well to that type of coaching.  How many times a game do we see Travis halfway out onto the court screaming at one of the bigs over a missed blockout or defensive assignment, only for them to fumble it out of bounds, travel, or miss a bunny on the next offensive possession?  I know screaming has been Travis’s M.O. his entire career, but if your players don’t respond to it, you need to adapt, or recruit different players.   

Box Score Review:

1.  SLU FG%:  30.9%;  SLU 3 point %:  26.3%;

2.  Blocked Shots:  Iona 13, SLU 5;

3.  Assists:  Iona 19, SLU 10;   

4.  Turnovers:  SLU 17, Iona 10.  Yuri Collins had 5 turnovers and 4 assists.

5.  Steals:  Iona 6, SLU 5.

6.  Attendance:  2,171 at Iona's 2,578 seat Hynes Athletic Center.

Play by Play Review:

1.  The game was effectively lost during a 10-0 Iona first half run, from 11:11 when SLU led 19-14, ending at 8:30 when Javonte Perkins hit a 3 pointer.  That Billiken lull lasted 2:41.  Yuri Collins was on the bench for a chunk of that time, was subbed out at 12:21 with SLU ahead 14-10, returned at 9:57 with SLU behind 22-19.  During the time Yuri Collins was on the bench, for that 2:24, SLU was outscored 12-5.

Comments:

1.  Iona took it to SLU on Iona's small gym home court.  This game illustrates why SLU cannot play at a place like Iona, nor can any contender from a higher pedigree conference like the A10, vis-a-vis the MAAC, play Iona on its home court.  Rick Pitino required this return visit as his term to play that Covid replacement game on short notice at SLU last season.  Hopefully, playing in this cracker box will give SLU some experience for the upcoming road games at St. Joe's Hagan Arena and Fordham's Rose Hill Gym. 

2.  I didn't expect SLU to win this game, but I didn't expect SLU to get blown out.

3.  Iona ESPN+ announcers noted Pitino's strategy of running 3 different defenders, all of different heights, at Yuri Collins, knowing Yuri wants to go right and not letting him do so at the rim, pushing him to the corner, and not letting him drive the middle, the lane.  Expect copycat A10 coaches to employ similar defensive strategies on Yuri.  SLU will need to make the adjustment.  

4.  Iona has a good team, played this game without one of its best players.  Iona could win a game in the NCAA Tournament, especially with Rick Pitino coaching.

Schasz likes this

13 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I know screaming has been Travis’s M.O. his entire career, but if your players don’t respond to it, you need to adapt, or recruit different players.   

That won't change, lol. I agree it's ineffective for some, but the man seems inflexible. 

50 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

That won't change, lol. I agree it's ineffective for some, but the man seems inflexible. 

Yep, and the screaming loses effectiveness when it’s delivered multiple times to the same players each game. Especially when certain players are always exempt from said a** chewings.  Yuri sure could’ve used one last night. 

We thought we'd have Perk with a nice compliment of Pickett this year and obviously Perk is not up to speed.  Pickett has been a beast and him getting his second foul early hurt.  We could have used him to try stop the bleeding.  Okoro needs to try and dunk everything.  It either goes in or he gets fouled and he can shoot free throws.  I don't get his regression.  Yuri and Gibby are playing their ass off but when our 5'11' point guard has to try and win the game every game, we are in trouble.  FTJ is having his best year in my opinion.  This team needs to find the toughness that JGood, French and even Linssen had.  That being said, there are a couple games in front of us to right the ship.  I think people are underestimating Boise because we beat them on the road last year.  It was in OT and we kinda got lucky.  They are 7-2 with multiple quality wins.  Lock in and run this noncon at home and hopefully Perk is back getting buckets by league play.  Go Bills.

28 minutes ago, Scoop said:

We thought we'd have Perk with a nice compliment of Pickett this year and obviously Perk is not up to speed.  Pickett has been a beast and him getting his second foul early hurt.  We could have used him to try stop the bleeding.  Okoro needs to try and dunk everything.  It either goes in or he gets fouled and he can shoot free throws.  I don't get his regression.  Yuri and Gibby are playing their ass off but when our 5'11' point guard has to try and win the game every game, we are in trouble.  FTJ is having his best year in my opinion.  This team needs to find the toughness that JGood, French and even Linssen had.  That being said, there are a couple games in front of us to right the ship.  I think people are underestimating Boise because we beat them on the road last year.  It was in OT and we kinda got lucky.  They are 7-2 with multiple quality wins.  Lock in and run this noncon at home and hopefully Perk is back getting buckets by league play.  Go Bills.

Ford's habit of benching players with 2 fouls has cost us games in the past and it will cost us games in the future. It doesn't do any good to bench one of your key players for long periods of the first half (saving them for later in the game) when it contributes to the game getting out of hand. Ford at least brought Pickett back in the 1st half last night. 

My last post about this before I move on to Boise(trying hard to get excited for that but nothing yet)

Iona loss is not Maryland.  Maryland just loss for the first time @ Wisconsin, Iona has losses to a 109, and 135 ranked team and hadn't played anyone decent. This was a bad loss in terms of losing by that much.  We all know we cant play on the road so to expect a straight up W was little crazy, but no reason it still shouldn't have been close. 

We are 1 maybe 2 OOC  losses away from needing to win the A10. Boise and Drake will be very tough.  At this point until we show we're better than we are - which we haven't this year- we're an NIT team.  The next two games will tell us if we are any better entering conference play as we were last year.

Im afraid last night gave teams and easy playbook on Yuri. They didn't even struggle to contain him, it was rather easy. And that's scary. At least he picked up his scoring late, but it was way too late.

Fred played smaller than I've ever seen him.  I made a joke early and it never changed, I said when he was given the PG duties early, he played like a small PG even on defense. 

Okoro and Forrester suck. Lets not sugarcoat things. Yes Okoro has a knack for starting slow, but starting slow is a factor in determining if you're a good center or not. Jake did find a touch, like yuri, but way too late after bad starts to the game. 

Parker should see 6-9 minutes a game.  His 3 point shot the last 2 games has looked way off, and you cant have that from someone who is 0-for.  

THJ played his best minutes, when everyone else was struggling in the first half.  The amount of times he got back to contest a breakaway(twice forcing them to result in missed layups) due to TO's in our half by other players was good to see.  Really other than that he was frustrating. He had to many rebounds he should have pulled down that he didn't(also like Jake and fred and Gibby)

Perkins is still at what, 70%.. he still cant find his touch, is slow, and doesn't have the bounce. 

Gibby started slow, but remained semi consistent the whole game before picking it up late.  Was most pleased by him, by a mile.

Pickett, we got him for games like this and he gave us 3 points, 3 rebounds. Really needed more from him. 

LAST - The amount of bunnies we miss is disgusting. 

slufan13 likes this

30 minutes ago, Scoop said:

I made a mental note at the time, agree that Pickett being assessed that 2nd foul early really hurt.  When I first started watching the game, a player was not removed in the first half with 2 fouls, usually only when he picked up his 3rd.  Then that changed to 2.  The worst early case was when Rich Grawer removed Monroe Douglass with 2 early fouls in the NIT Championship game vs. St. John's.  Not only did that probably cost us the NIT Championship, it also probably unwittingly allowed Douglass' high school teammate, Roland Gray, to pass him on SLU's all-time scoring list.

i actually think in my view that ford is more generous on allowing the player with 2 fouls back into the game than most D1 coaches.   most D1 coaches will banish the player to the bench until the second half with no exceptions.   

3 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Ford's habit of benching players with 2 fouls has cost us games in the past and it will cost us games in the future. It doesn't do any good to bench one of your key players for long periods of the first half (saving them for later in the game) when it contributes to the game getting out of hand. Ford at least brought Pickett back in the 1st half last night. 

And Pickett ended up with only 2 fouls for the game.  Not sure if CF has a set rule to always sit a player at least a few minutes with 2 fouls in 1H, but I think you need to trust your best and experienced players (including Pickett) to play smart.  If they eventually foul out, so be it.  I would only sit Collins for rest purposes, never due to his foul situation.

All that being said, almost every coach does the same as CF.  My CYC coaching experience says otherwise 🙂

my view on collins remains, he is a very good point guard.  maybe the best in slu history.   but he is not "the man" worthy.  (see larry hughes incredible one man show his freshman season vs SIU down 15 points deep into the second half and he wins the game by himself that is a "the man")  

probably the perkins we had prior to the injury was the closest thing we had on this roster to being a legit "the man".   and ford's insistence that yuri is some sort of allen iverson like player is not going to work 90% of the time imo.   let him be the very good point guard he is and concentrate on the rest of the parts performing at a high level.  

getting jimerson more open shots, getting forrester and okoro more 3 foot touches, getting runouts from defensive rebounds, will be far more effective than yuri going 1 on 5 to the rim or forcing fade aways.

Scoop, Tonka, Adman and 1 other like this

Yuri was neutralized in this game by a team that played a very aggressive and very physical game against us. Ford had nothing to counter this. I think this loss, like the Maryland loss, was achieved this way. Once Yuri becomes ineffective, the game crumbles against an aggressive opponent. It is not a good idea to depend upon a single player to keep the team playing as expected. Ford appears incapable to fix situations like these. He is predictable, and his game crumbles when Yuri is neutralized and the opponents play aggressively.

I think it is time to start looking for a new coach.

I was all excited about all our returning players, but so far I think only Yuri has shown significant improvement.  No one else had a Conklin summer.  

Whitey Herzog used to put people in situations where they have a great chance for success.  Going thru Okoro at the top of the key does NOT fit that management style.

CF's post game analysis was all about emotional stuff, like "intensity", "confidence", "energy".  Nothing clinical about what we tried, and how Iona countered, and how we may need to adjust differently next time.