GDT: @ Iona

One more comment, just checked the stats for the game. They did overpower us in blocks and assists (imagine that they got more assists than we did). We also had a lot more TOs than they did. We lost the game through poor scoring, like we did with Maryland, and TOs. That 7 footer from Rwanda they have, Shema, is most likely a Tutsi, tall spindly and fast he is.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ARon said:

Yep, no excuses.  At the end of this season the posters to this thread will be happy one way or another. Either we make the tourney or Ford is gone.

In fact, even if we make the tourney - if it is just to drop in the first game by 20 that may be it for Travis.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I wouldn’t celebrate seeing Travis go.  That means we had a very unsuccessful season, and leads to the probability of at least a few rough rebuilding years.  I’d much rather he find a way to turn this season around.  But I recognize his repeated inability to push this program to the next level, and if firing him is what’s required to eventually move the program forward, then I’d rather it happen sooner than later.  

I don’t think anyone wants four more years of being the fourth or fifth team out of the tournament, with more first round NIT exits. 

So yeah, it’s time to put up or shut up for Travis. If he can’t do it, move on. 

4 minutes ago, Young Charles said:

Fighting through adversity is such a huge problem thus far… to prevent this I have decided to start a collective that will provide this team with animal grade testosterone. All donations will first go to my psychiatrist bill. Anything leftover, testosterone. 

If you’re supporting getting our guys on steroids, I’ve been asking for this for years….

2 minutes ago, laker119 said:

Let’s not act like there aren’t options.  Grant McCasland at North Texas, Prohm at Murray State, Casey Alexander at Belmont, or a swath of qualified assistants at power 5 schools that I’m neglecting.  Sure, any hire could be a miss.  But I think we’ve gotten to the point with Ford where there almost isn’t much to lose.  

Some of these names you guys drop are just disturbing. Not an upgrade. Major downgrade. At least name the right guy to hire.

8 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I wouldn’t celebrate seeing Travis go.  That means we had a very unsuccessful season, and leads to the probability of at least a few rough rebuilding years.  I’d much rather he find a way to turn this season around.  But I recognize his repeated inability to push this program to the next level, and if firing him is what’s required to eventually move the program forward, then I’d rather it happen sooner than later.  

I don’t think anyone wants four more years of being the fourth or fifth team out of the tournament, with more first round NIT exits. 

So yeah, it’s time to put up or shut up for Travis. If he can’t do it, move on. 

Not the same as the past.  With the transfer portal a "name" coach can rebuild quick.  Given that, I still will go with Ford.  The players deserve at least as much blame, maybe more than the coaching staff.  They couldn't hit the board side of a barn with their shots.  Missed enough easy shots to have made it a close game.  And the defense, well it needs work.

2 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Some of these names you guys drop are just disturbing. Not an upgrade. Major downgrade. At least name the right guy to hire.

It’s hard to say who to hire in the middle of a season… there’s always P5 coaches that are fired that need to move down, and there are low major coaches who make awesome March runs and look to move up. 

I’d feel out whether Bryce Drew had any interest. Midwest guy, showed he could build a mid major program at Valpo.  Yes, he flopped at Vandy, but who hasn’t since early-Stallings era?  He’s also building a nice program out of basically nothing at Grand Canyon. 

Luke warm take incoming!

This team is obviously not as good as I was expecting.

That said I still think they are in OK shape. Take down Boise, Drake, SIUE, and finish the non-conference with with 3 losses and it’s not a complete disaster.

Hopefully by the beginning of January Perkins is rounding back into form and Parker finds his D1 game.

Go on a nice run during conference play and see where things fall. 

7 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Found our guy, Drake HC Darian DeVries

Impressive work at Drake

https://godrakebulldogs.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/darian-devries/1232

We'll know after the game on the 17th if Ford is again talking about how he just didn't prepare his guys well enough (his code phrase for 'I got outcoached'.)

3 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Luke warm take incoming!

That said I still think they are in OK shape. Take down Boise, Drake, SIUE, and finish the non-conference with with 3 losses and it’s not a complete disaster.

Hopefully by the beginning of January Perkins is rounding back into form and Parker finds his D1 game.

I like it.......makes the board meltdown this evening just one of many overreactions........

5 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Luke warm take incoming!

Very level headed take.  If we beat boise and drake, then I’m on board again

cgeldmacher likes this

1 minute ago, Billiken Rich said:

I like it.......makes the board meltdown this evening just one of many overreactions........

I’m not entirely convinced they can beat Boise and Drake but I will wait to jump ship until they lose one of them.

If they can win all 3 I’ll go into conference season with a positive outlook.

2 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Yep.

I still won’t think they are as good as I originally expected but I’ll have the belief we can do serious damage in the A10. 

That is where I am at. I think maybe the record on paper could be in line with what I would have predicted, but at this point we just aren’t as good as I was hoping. This has to be the year!

8 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I’m not entirely convinced they can beat Boise and Drake but I will wait to jump ship until they lose one of them.

They’re all at home I’m expecting 3 wins 

24 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Tonight sucks but I'm confident the sun will rise tomorrow and I'll be there to make Boise a win.........still thinking (hoping)that everyone will be lining up to suck Travis' ******* after that sweet sixteen victory.......