GDT: @ Iona

5 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

?? I'm one of the biggest Ford supporters on this board? If you watched this and think everything is fine I think you are crazy. This is supposed to be the year. However long Ford has been here has been building up to this year.... If we lose by 5 in a close game that's fine. You were just handled by Iona by 20+? It's embarrassing being a SLU fan after this. I was at the Maryland game as well. Had to rush back and take off my SLU gear but that one was understandable. This is flat out embarrassing. It's okay to be honest.

This poster is an idiot I put him on ignore so I wouldn’t be drug down by his stupidity.

I was a big Ford backer too but I had enough after the Maryland meltdown and the Auburn missed free throw team meltdown and now this.

Last year it was Davidson and getting handled at home against the Bonnie’s.  I have had enough.

Bizziken and Schasz like this

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, HoosierPal said:

We are not physical.

We are not deep.

But I've read on this very website many times what a great recruiter CTF is...compared to Crews even I would agree. Let's be real and fortunately I did not watch this whole fiasco tonight, one team looked like they knew what they were doing too bad it was not the Bills. That display tonight was embarrassing.

Bizziken likes this

5 minutes ago, kappy96 said:

If Ford gets axed, which I doubt will happen, the player turnover would be brutal and we’d be subjecting ourselves to a couple years of bad basketball…that said we’re not going to be all that good next year anyway.  I’d be fine with that if I knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel in the form of a good coach but I’m not convinced that’s the case as I don’t have confidence in May.

Collins and Jimerson are as good as gone after this year anyway. I haven’t seen another player on this roster that’s irreplaceable. Some decent role players, sure, but nothing worth retaining Ford over if Yuri and Gibson are gone. 

Bizziken likes this

I'll see how the season plays out.   Still a long way to go.   If we fall flat in conference season and conference tourney then all possibilities will be considered by AD May.  If the Tillett hire is any indication,  I'm not hopeful we'd improve our situation with a new coach. 

Just now, Matty Light said:

The bad news is this team is lacking talent. This is the Billikens worst front court since the Agbeko/Neufield team.

The good news is the conference is weak and winnable.

The bad news is we are back in Brooklyn for the tourney.

We will see if talent emerges throughout the season. Right now I am not seeing it. Thatch is a great hustle guy but we have been sorely missing French and JGood as leaders. They were our vanguard so no one would push the weaker guys around.

I agree it's just I thought this year would be different... Maybe my expectations were too high. I didn't expect the same old SLU. But that's what we are getting. I was expecting the Dayton team that competed with the best. Right now we are just another solid mid major. I'll still be at every game rooting on the boys but if you aren't at least slightly disappointed we weren't expecting the same things.

Fraz likes this

This was a loss, but it was more than a loss, it was a defeat like the one we had when we played Maryland. I heard what Ford said after the game and I want to emphasize that I liked what Ford said. He talked about the team as a whole, how we lost cohesion playing this game and how much we have to improve the way we play. He said we are not a tough offensive team and we have to do better in that way. But primarily, in my opinion, he did not point the finger at any single player. This is a very welcome change from what he did in public after the Maryland game. Well done coach. Now you can go to the lockers and rip them  a new one, one by one or whatever is needed. That is the way to do it.

Now onto the next one.

This BC1764 guy is obviously a troll, but that shouldn’t distract from other posters’ legitimate concerns about Ford. 

Frankly, Travis and his supporters have had an excuse each year for why they’ve underperformed, whether it be S2, Covid, transfers, injuries, whatever.  There’s no excuse this year.  Ford is great at building hype for a program through good recruiting and through his buddies like Rothstein, but with that comes expectation, and if you repeatedly underperform expectations, you should be relieved of your job.  That’s the case for any job in the world, not just coaching. 

2 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I agree it's just I thought this year would be different... Maybe my expectations were too high. I didn't expect the same old SLU. But that's what we are getting. I was expecting the Dayton team that competed with the best. Right now we are just another solid mid major. I'll still be at every game rooting on the boys but if you aren't at least slightly disappointed we weren't expecting the same things.

Your expectations weren’t too high. We had one of the most experienced teams in the country with one of the best PGs returning. Expectations were reasonably high, and we’ve severely underperformed them. 

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

This BC1764 guy is obviously a troll, but that shouldn’t distract from other posters’ legitimate concerns about Ford. 

Frankly, Travis and his supporters have had an excuse each year for why they’ve underperformed, whether it be S2, Covid, transfers, injuries, whatever.  There’s no excuse this year.  Ford is great at building hype for a program through good recruiting and through his buddies like Rothstein, but with that comes expectation, and if you repeatedly underperform expectations, you should be relieved of your job.  That’s the case for any job in the world, not just coaching. 

Well put.

5 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

We probably did have different expectations. I knew we lost some guys and had yet to see the new players. I am not overly impressed with TJ or Okoro. Yuri and Jimmerson are who they are at this point. I wasn't ready to expect better until I saw what Perkins can do and what kind of players the new guys are. I do like Pickett but I haven't seen that this team is better than last year's yet.

3 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Frankly, Travis and his supporters have had an excuse each year for why they’ve underperformed, whether it be S2, Covid, transfers, injuries, whatever.  There’s no excuse this year. 

Yep, no excuses.  At the end of this season the posters to this thread will be happy one way or another. Either we make the tourney or Ford is gone.

In fact, even if we make the tourney - if it is just to drop in the first game by 20 that may be it for Travis.

8 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

SLU’s roster lacks a 6’7”-6’8” fluid power forward that plays facing the basket. 

15 minutes ago, Soderball said:

And hire who dude? I saw us hire Jim Crews. I saw people clamor for hiring that buffoon.

Let’s not act like there aren’t options.  Grant McCasland at North Texas, Prohm at Murray State, Casey Alexander at Belmont, or a swath of qualified assistants at power 5 schools that I’m neglecting.  Sure, any hire could be a miss.  But I think we’ve gotten to the point with Ford where there almost isn’t much to lose.  

Just now, Matty Light said:

We probably did have different expectations. I knew we lost some guys and had yet to see the new players. I am not overly impressed with TJ or Okoro. Yuri and Jimmerson are who they are at this point. I wasn't ready to expect better until I saw what Perkins can do and what kind of players the new guys are. I do like Pickett but I haven't seen that this team is better than last year's yet.

Fair. I guess the returning the same players doesn't mean you will be better. Us and Dayton are learning that.