GDT: @ Iona

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

im not saying play over yuri.   you wrote that.   i said we should have been giving time to two very talented freshmen.   no one is saying play them 30 minutes.   but 4 or 5 minutes a game wouldnt hurt the team likely and in the long run it would probably pay off.   

if they saw no time vs auburn or providence or memphis, i get it.   but most of the rest of the schedule, it was possible to give them time.  

In theory yes, but don't forget how important margin of victory is. Also important that we have guys chasing records and trying to bolster their resumes for professional aspirations. If we play the kids against SIUC do we win by 5? By 9? Neither as important to NET as the 13 we won by. 

Same as TSU - we didn't even cover the spread, and Yuri deserved every minute he got. 

Evansville could've been a loss if we didn't play the starters as long as we did, and it at times felt like it could've been with them in there. 

Long story short MOV is too important nowadays to give the kids in-game practice time in my opinion.  

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Bills By 40 said:

In theory yes, but don't forget how important margin of victory is. Also important that we have guys chasing records and trying to bolster their resumes for professional aspirations. If we play the kids against SIUC do we win by 5? By 9? Neither as important to NET as the 13 we won by. 

Same as TSU - we didn't even cover the spread, and Yuri deserved every minute he got. 

Evansville could've been a loss if we didn't play the starters as long as we did, and it at times felt like it could've been with them in there. 

Long story short MOV is too important nowadays to give the kids in-game practice time in my opinion.  

i guess the difference is i have a lot of confidence in the raw ability of both young hughes and young thames.   you dont.   i am not convinced the rest yuri during the play of the game by letting him spend possessions standing in the corner is all that great of a strategy.  but again, i said nothing about sitting yuri.   there are other players that could have sat for a minute or two more to give these future stars time. 

MB73 likes this

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

im not saying play over yuri.   you wrote that.   i said we should have been giving time to two very talented freshmen.   no one is saying play them 30 minutes.   but 4 or 5 minutes a game wouldnt hurt the team likely and in the long run it would probably pay off.   

if they saw no time vs auburn or providence or memphis, i get it.   but most of the rest of the schedule, it was possible to give them time.  

Hughes and Thames currently play about 4 minutes a game and have played in over half of our games.  Once conference play starts, the 11th and 12 guys rarely play at all, whether it's the 10th of the 200th team in the country.  This is a strange hill to die on.

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Hughes and Thames currently play about 4 minutes a game and have played in over half of our games.  Once conference play starts, the 11th and 12 guys rarely play at all, whether it's the 10th of the 200th team in the country.  This is a strange hill to die on.

3 star if you havent noticed i have been a fan of playing more players instead of the famous ford 8 or 9 for a number of years.    this year my choices for play more are the two freshmen.    so not a strange hill for me.   i consider our short rotation a tremendous weakness/shortcoming of our coach.  

MB73 likes this

I'm not sure Hughes and Thames doubling their minutes, while playing with each other, Cisse, Parker and Hargrove would advance them very far in their career.  Add to that playing against the opposition's end of bench.  

If you want to see them advance, you have to have them in their with the regular rotation, in tight situations.  I'd rather win for now. 

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

3 star if you havent noticed i have been a fan of playing more players instead of the famous ford 8 or 9 for a number of years.    this year my choices for play more are the two freshmen.    so not a strange hill for me.   i consider our short rotation a tremendous weakness/shortcoming of our coach.  

9 players isn't a short rotation.  I rarely see teams with the double digit rotations you're demanding.  If this is the panacea, why aren't Hall of Fame coaches with more talent than we have using it?

26 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i guess the difference is i have a lot of confidence in the raw ability of both young hughes and young thames.   you dont.   i am not convinced the rest yuri during the play of the game by letting him spend possessions standing in the corner is all that great of a strategy.  but again, i said nothing about sitting yuri.   there are other players that could have sat for a minute or two more to give these future stars time. 

I think Hughes is going to be a star, but to be fair, that time you are looking for is being taken by Perkins right now. He’s getting more minutes than his play merits but they know he needs the time to get back to his prior play.

+ TJ he has waited as the 2 frosh will wait. we ain't used to having the luxury of having each year 2-3 star guys coming in each year. those 2 first year guys had a chance to start on Crew's last season. If either were better than the first 8 than we need to address that. i trust in TF to be the judge he sees them in practice.

5 minutes ago, jonny karate said:

Who on iona will light us up by 20+ and 3+ 3pts? Ignore him and focus on the rest

Prime candidate is guard cruz davis.  Plays 16 MPG and only shoots 17% from 3 . Look for him to go 4-7 from 3 tonight. 

LOL and just now seeing Anton Brookshire is on Iona. 

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

Wasn't this game supposed to be played in Brooklyn or MSG?  

I think when it was originally announced there was speculation that it would be played in Brooklyn or MSG because Iona had previously played a lot of non-conference games against bigger opponents away from their home arena.  It was never officially announced as such, just speculation.  When the schedule for this season dropped, it was always going to be at Iona.

Doesn't SLU have a decent size alumni base in NY?  Kind of a bummer for them that they don't get a game at a larger venue, but if they have a decent sized crowd in a 2,500 seat gym maybe they can have an impact?

A Pitino team is always scary. They pressure the ball and like to shoot 3s because Slick Rick thinks the misses gives his team a lot of second chances. In spite of his nefarious recruiting rep the man can coach and motivate. This one scares me largely because of him. He’s a lot like Rick which means a W will be well earned. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm not sure Hughes and Thames doubling their minutes, while playing with each other, Cisse, Parker and Hargrove would advance them very far in their career.  Add to that playing against the opposition's end of bench.  

If you want to see them advance, you have to have them in their with the regular rotation, in tight situations.  I'd rather win for now. 

As long as we win you can defend the current status all you want. The problem comes with games like Auburn which we should have won, but let it go in the last few minutes, as we have done before and will do again. There was absolutely no way we could have won against Maryland, but we could have won against Auburn.

Sagarin has SLU by 1.82 in its Rating, SLU by 1.81 in its Recent Rating, both rounded off to SLU by 2.

cbssports.com has Iona +1.5, o151.5, with ESPN concurring, SLU -1.5.  ESPN has a Matchup Predictor, according to ESPN Analytics, showing Iona at 64.0% and SLU at 36.0%.a

Conclusion:  Tonight's game is close to a toss up.  

5 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Sagarin has SLU by 1.82 in its Rating, SLU by 1.81 in its Recent Rating, both rounded off to SLU by 2.

cbssports.com has Iona +1.5, o151.5, with ESPN concurring, SLU -1.5.  ESPN has a Matchup Predictor, according to ESPN Analytics, showing Iona at 64.0% and SLU at 36.0%.a

Conclusion:  Tonight's game is close to a toss up.  

Yes and toss ups are winnable.

Iona (4-2, 2-0 MAAC), of course, is coached by 70 year old coaching legend, Rick Pitino, who is an outstanding coach.  As of yesterday, Iona's NET was 50.  Iona today has  Pomeroy of 81 and Sagarin at 93.  SLU's NET was 56 yesterday, with Pomeroy today at 40 and Sagarin at 44.  The Iona home court is an equalizer, accounting 2.86 in Sagarin and 2.37 Sagarin Recent.

Iona starts 6'9" and 7'0" forwards from Nigeria and Rwanda, respectively, along with 6'2", 6'4" and 6'3" guards, with a 6'7" guard/forward as the 6th man.

The game is a white out, with all fans being asked to wear white.  Iona's Hynes Athletic Center seats 2,578, opened in 1974, was renovated in 2019, has seating surrounding the court on all sides.

Iona University is located in New Rochelle, Westchester County, NY.  Iona was founded by the Congregation of Christian Brothers (the Irish Christian Brothers) in 1940.  Enrollment is 3,590 overall, 2,959 undergraduates.  Endowment is $162.7 Million.  Source is that definitive source, Wikipedia.

Reading the Iona board, Iona supporters would like to see the school get in the A10, expect the future line to be drawn with the A10 as the last (on the list) D-1 conference, expecting the MAAC to be in the new de facto D-2.  One hopes if there is going to be a schism that the A10 makes the cut.  That Conference NET of 14 is not what SLU signed up for in 2005.

CenHudDude likes this

34 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Reading the Iona board, Iona supporters would like to see the school get in the A10, expect the future line to be drawn with the A10 as the last (on the list) D-1 conference, expecting the MAAC to be in the new de facto D-2.  One hopes if there is going to be a schism that the A10 makes the cut.  That Conference NET of 14 is not what SLU signed up for in 2005.

Just curious, does anyone know of any other schools that might want to join the A10? Not what schools we want to join, or what schools we want kicked out of the A10, but institutions that want to come on in.

12 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Just curious, does anyone know of any other schools that might want to join the A10? Not what schools we want to join, or what schools we want kicked out of the A10, but institutions that want to come on in.

I feel like the MVC will have some ripe candidates in the next few years like how LUC made the jump.

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

First, I’d like Bay to show the list of conferences that will make the D1 cut. I know this has been kicked around on here, but have some pundits expressed an opinion that there’s a cut line coming? 
To answer your question, me Lord, I’d think schools like Iona, the military academies, Vermont might like an invite. Getting away from the NEast, I have heard here in Charleston the College of Charleston would jump at an invite. I’d also think a bunch of those CCAC schools like W&M, Delaware would like to get in. 
Changing the subject for a moment, ESPN issued a new Bracketology today. Only one A10 team made it- US. No DU. That’s kind of sad but it’s still too early.