Danny Mac

Fraz

20 minutes ago, MariaReynolds said:

Interesting that you didn't ask me if that's what I thought Dan's defense should be, but rather you indicated that that was what I actually thought.  Very grown up of you.

Perhaps I overestimated the grown-ups' understanding of an idiom.

While most commenters in this thread have been sympathetic toward Dan's situation, some were pretty judgmental.  I have a fairly high degree of confidence that at least some of those individuals have been using their phone to text, email, etc. while driving.

The grown-ups at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) have clearly done research that shows that texting can be more dangerous than driving under the influence.  I am sure their intent is not to diminish the seriousness of driving while intoxicated, but rather to elevate people's understanding of just how dangerous, by comparison, texting and driving can be.  

Hence, the "glass houses" comment for those who sit in judgement of Dan as they may have engaged in behavior that was actually more dangerous (unless, of course, they have never used their phone to text while driving, in which case, I apologize).

Seems to me you were pretty judgmental in your post.🙄

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to apologize Maria. However and most seriously, driving while intoxicated is not comparable with texting while driving. For sure both may and do kill you and other people as well. And you could compare the length of time texting while driving with the degree of intoxication. However, texting while driving (stupid behavior as it is) has no lasting repercussions (other than stupidity) upon a person. Chronic alcoholism causes multiple organic disorders which can by themselves result in death. The range go from gastrointestinal to neurollogical. Of course there are behavior patterns that are impacted by chronic alcoholism like beating people, commiting suicide, having multiple falls (which  can be fatal if you fall downstairs or from a balcony). In a different dimension you have loss of jobs, divorces, child abuse, wife abuse, all common within this group of people.

Someone with 2 prior alcohol rehab admissions, both failed, is not an occasional drunk with a breath test slightly above the limit. This is a hard core alcoholic with the full spectrum of medical, social, economic, and psychological issues this implies. This is not a simple or mild case from any point of view you want to look at.

Look at it this way, if you text while you are driving and get home with no accident. All that you are is STUPID. If you are so drunk you cannot remember driving your car but get home with no mishap, you are still an alcoholic, you have multiple medical, psychological and social issues that you refuse to deal with and you will probably die from some complication or the other of being an alcoholic. 

Stupidity is permanent, texting while driving is temporary. Chronic alcoholism is a multisystem disorder that is close to permanent and is quite likely going to kill you in time.

6 hours ago, MariaReynolds said:

Interesting that you didn't ask me if that's what I thought Dan's defense should be, but rather you indicated that that was what I actually thought.  Very grown up of you.

Perhaps I overestimated the grown-ups' understanding of an idiom.

While most commenters in this thread have been sympathetic toward Dan's situation, some were pretty judgmental.  I have a fairly high degree of confidence that at least some of those individuals have been using their phone to text, email, etc. while driving.

The grown-ups at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) have clearly done research that shows that texting can be more dangerous than driving under the influence.  I am sure their intent is not to diminish the seriousness of driving while intoxicated, but rather to elevate people's understanding of just how dangerous, by comparison, texting and driving can be.  

Hence, the "glass houses" comment for those who sit in judgement of Dan as they may have engaged in behavior that was actually more dangerous (unless, of course, they have never used their phone to text while driving, in which case, I apologize).

Appreciate the 5 minute distraction trying to wrap my brain around this comment 

On 12/5/2022 at 9:57 PM, BIG BILL FAN said:

How many have just one? And please don’t confuse the legal limits with diminished ability.. any amount of alcohol effects your judgment and performance…for all those who are now condemning Danny Mac, the majority have done the same but were lucky… 

There is a difference between someone lucky enough not to get busted for drunk driving and someone who is dumb enough or so wasted to get busted for DUI three times.  

I am not trying to paint Dan as a bad guy.  Dan is a good guy and has been since he was a kid.  He has a disease and the the problems of that disease have been amplified by awful decision making that he is responsible for.  There is no excuse to not use a ride share when wasted and that was what he was.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Ditto to most of the other posts, wish Dan the best in getting the help he needs.  

In terms of a replacement, I hope they actually look for some new blood and don’t just trot out Rick Horton.  Rickey drives me nuts…

Ironbills likes this

17 hours ago, brianstl said:

Horton is the worst.

I think there is little chance Ricky would ever be considered for the play by play guy on tv. That being said, it always amazes be how many are willing to support those who continue to make irresponsible, reckless decisions while bashing those who  consistently exhibit the highest standards of character, integrity, and morality. The world would be a lot better if there were a lot more Ricky Hortons. 

18 hours ago, laker119 said:

Ditto to most of the other posts, wish Dan the best in getting the help he needs.  

In terms of a replacement, I hope they actually look for some new blood and don’t just trot out Rick Horton.  Rickey drives me nuts…

Guy Phillips would be my pick

willie likes this

26 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Anything that gets him slowly further away from the Billikens 😂

Guy knows less about basketball than my standard poodle.  When Guy was out it was amazing to have a PA announcer that actually let you know who was checking in and out and who the foul was on and actually get it right.

• 1 month later...