Danny Mac

Fraz

32 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I hear what you're saying but he's making these bad decisions after he's already drunk.  He's not aware of anything at that point.  Even if he makes preparations when he's sober, his drunk self can always overrule them.  I hope DMac gets the help he needs before he hurts somebody.

College me salutes your logic here. Clearly the bad decision is drinking to begin with 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While Dan is a talented guy as a broadcaster, he just cannot control his demon which is alcoholism. I would be surprised if the Cards brass does not take action this time and fire him. Thank God he has not harmed or killed someone in one of his drunk driving incidents.

5 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Being an alcoholic is a disease, but one you're fully aware of having by this point.  It's one thing to struggle with the disease but to repeatedly choose to get behind the wheel of a car and put others lives in danger, IMO, is grounds for forfeiture of the "good guy" status. It sounds like none of you have lost a loved one to the decisions of a drunk driver - I personally haven't either but am very close to some that have - but I think we're getting lost in the appreciation of a public sports figure and discounting human decency and basic responsibility in the process. 

It was 6:30PM on a Sunday - we know he's got the money to call a fu**ing Uber. Guess I don't share the same sympathy, sorry if I offend anyone. He's a great sportscaster, but maybe not such a great person. Three strikes you're out, right? 

Here's the thing. There's still a lot unknown about the situation. We're all looking at it like non-alcoholics, as if he went out to have some drinks. Again I don't know much about his struggle with booze, but to me if you've been struggling with alcoholism you're not planning to go out to have some drinks. You fall off the wagon and enter a downward spiral. IMO he needed to install a breathalyzer in every car he could possibly be driving years ago.

27 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I hear what you're saying but he's making these bad decisions after he's already drunk.  He's not aware of anything at that point.  Even if he makes preparations when he's sober, his drunk self can always overrule them.  I hope DMac gets the help he needs before he hurts somebody.

I disagree - I am not being self righteous here but if you are an alcoholic you know it and everyone around you does also.  I have been around family members with this problem and while they may say I don't have a problem they know it and when they get caught the first thing out of their mouth is I know I have a problem and will do what  is necessary to beat it or something like that.  He knew he had a problem and so he should not put himself in that situation that he is tempted to drive home.  If you are not an alcoholic and you make a bad decision then that is one thing but not a habitual offender should keep getting that leash.

30 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I disagree - I am not being self righteous here but if you are an alcoholic you know it and everyone around you does also.  I have been around family members with this problem and while they may say I don't have a problem they know it and when they get caught the first thing out of their mouth is I know I have a problem and will do what  is necessary to beat it or something like that.  He knew he had a problem and so he should not put himself in that situation that he is tempted to drive home.  If you are not an alcoholic and you make a bad decision then that is one thing but not a habitual offender should keep getting that leash.

What if he was home by himself got wasted and decided to drive somewhere.  Judging from the report on stltoday he probably doesnt even remember getting in his car which is scary.  

Going further down the rabbit hole with chronic alcoholism. Those affected cannot control it, and if they have really been drinking for a long time, their bodies adapt to alcohol and REQUIRE it. Lack of alcohol for people in this stage of alcoholism causes Delirium Tremens which requires hospitalization and treatment. This is NOT a simple decision to stop drinking. In advanced states it is not caused by "demons" either, the real cause is the body demanding alcohol before it goes into a life threatening condition with seizures and violence upon others involved. There is nothing pretty or satisfactory about living with an advanced chronic alcoholic, beatings and divorces are commonplace. I am not saying this is the case here, just that it is the norm.

By the way, a common cause of death among alcoholics with "demons" is suicide. They get drunk as they usually are, think about the ruin of their lives, and decide to end it all. If they have a gun available they may use it on themselves. Generally there is no way back after they press the trigger. They may or may not leave a note behind. There is absolutely nothing pretty or great about the effects of chronic alcoholism upon an individual or those around  him. Forget the "demons," the devil or his acolytes have nothing to do with this disorder.

51 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

What if he was home by himself got wasted and decided to drive somewhere.  Judging from the report on stltoday he probably doesnt even remember getting in his car which is scary.  

Either way he knows he has a drinking problem so where you start is not the issue.  As much as I understand the leniency angle the bottom line is that this was not a mistake he had been caught twice before so he knows the story.  Ultimately we are responsible for our decisions.  He may get some consideration from the courts since according to the article I read it has been 10 years since he was last caught.

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

With the disease that sidelined Shannon's baseball career, (his kidney filtering was compromised), he would have been dead long ago had he been drinking. People in the know have been saying for years that he does not drink.

strange how he had that ruined baseball career which had ruined his football career. & had such a long fruitful life despite his ailment.

21 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Going further down the rabbit hole with chronic alcoholism. Those affected cannot control it, and if they have really been drinking for a long time, their bodies adapt to alcohol and REQUIRE it. Lack of alcohol for people in this stage of alcoholism causes Delirium Tremens which requires hospitalization and treatment. This is NOT a simple decision to stop drinking. In advanced states it is not caused by "demons" either, the real cause is the body demanding alcohol before it goes into a life threatening condition with seizures and violence upon others involved. There is nothing pretty or satisfactory about living with an advanced chronic alcoholic, beatings and divorces are commonplace. I am not saying this is the case here, just that it is the norm.

By the way, a common cause of death among alcoholics with "demons" is suicide. They get drunk as they usually are, think about the ruin of their lives, and decide to end it all. If they have a gun available they may use it on themselves. Generally there is no way back after they press the trigger. They may or may not leave a note behind. There is absolutely nothing pretty or great about the effects of chronic alcoholism upon an individual or those around  him. Forget the "demons," the devil or his acolytes have nothing to do with this disorder.

He has been through 2 rehabs so he knows all about the stuff you pointed out therefore he knows he can not drink at all ever if he plans to stay sober.

1 minute ago, almaman said:

strange how he had that ruined baseball career which had ruined his football career. & had such a long fruitful life despite his ailment.

I have a nephew in law who has the same kidney ailment and he was an officer in the navy.  He was mustered out because of it.  He is fine health wise.  You have to take care of yourself and practice healthy life choices.  He does drink occasionally but not ever to anything close to excess.  You can live a long time with it.

-so SLU/Learfield has a decison to make, Saturday is easy as with the recency you have someone else do the broadcast, but going forward what is the call? Jesuit compassion with a fourth chance or sayanora? I see both sides and wonder if SLU/Learfield wishes the Cardinals had to show their hand first so could just follow their lead but that's not the case

-when I watch the replays he does a good job, very good actually

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

With the disease that sidelined Shannon's baseball career, (his kidney filtering was compromised), he would have been dead long ago had he been drinking. People in the know have been saying for years that he does not drink.

I have always heard the same thing.

I think he partied pretty hard in his younger days but stopped when diagnosed with the Kidney disease.

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

From what I heard it is the number of DUIs that he has.  At some point they determine that you are habitual and going to jail is very real.  We will see but I bet he is dismissed by the Cardinals.  Often wondered how Shannon managed to go untouched - maybe he was smart enough not to drive.

A friend of mine recently got his 3rd and avoided jail time. He is however currently wearing a SCRAM bracelet and has a breathalyzer in his car. 

If he hires a decent DUI lawyer (Travis Noble) I doubt he does any real time in jail but shock time is a possibility. Although when it comes to drinking and driving attorneys don't have as much influence as they used to. Which is how it should be.

Yeah I don't think we will be seeing or hearing Dan on any Billikens or Cardinals games in the future. 

I feel bad for Dan's family. I hope Dan can get his sh*t together and turn things around. It ain't easy!

We’ve seen announcers fired/canceled for one instance of homophobic comments (see Thom Brennaman). Dan has put others’ lives in danger on (at least) three occasions now.  What is worse, hateful comments, or repeatedly acting with total disregard for human life?    

I understand that alcoholism is a disease, and I hope Dan gets the treatment he needs, but as an announcer he should be done for good. 

Edit: not meant to be a defense of Brennaman either. 

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Here's the thing. There's still a lot unknown about the situation. We're all looking at it like non-alcoholics, as if he went out to have some drinks. Again I don't know much about his struggle with booze, but to me if you've been struggling with alcoholism you're not planning to go out to have some drinks. You fall off the wagon and enter a downward spiral. IMO he needed to install a breathalyzer in every car he could possibly be driving years ago.

Yep, this is usually the way it plays out

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

He has been through 2 rehabs so he knows all about the stuff you pointed out therefore he knows he can not drink at all ever if he plans to stay sober.

You have provided your own answer, he knows what is going on, and falls for taking another drink. After that drink he cannot stop. He is aware about what is going on and yet he does it. This one is probably not going to end well.

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I get this but, if true, my sober self would tear up my license and never drive. At minimum, you hand off the keys before you pick up the drink.

"A study by Car and Driver magazine showed that texting and driving is significantly more hazardous than driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The study analyzed and compared the length of time it took drivers to react when sober, legally intoxicated (0.08 BAC), sending a text, and reading an email.

The results showed that texting affected the driver’s reaction time the most. As opposed to driving while sober and undistracted, when intoxicated the driver traveled four additional feet before braking, 36 additional feet while reading an email, and 70 more feet when texting.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that driving while texting is six times more dangerous than driving drunk. Reading or sending a text takes your eyes off the road for about five seconds. Although it might not seem like a lot, at 55 mph, it’s the same as driving the length of an entire football field with your eyes closed."

Glass houses....

2 minutes ago, MariaReynolds said:

"A study by Car and Driver magazine showed that texting and driving is significantly more hazardous than driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The study analyzed and compared the length of time it took drivers to react when sober, legally intoxicated (0.08 BAC), sending a text, and reading an email.

The results showed that texting affected the driver’s reaction time the most. As opposed to driving while sober and undistracted, when intoxicated the driver traveled four additional feet before braking, 36 additional feet while reading an email, and 70 more feet when texting.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that driving while texting is six times more dangerous than driving drunk. Reading or sending a text takes your eyes off the road for about five seconds. Although it might not seem like a lot, at 55 mph, it’s the same as driving the length of an entire football field with your eyes closed."

Glass houses....

Sounds like Dan was a little over a .08…. Did you read any of the articles?

47 minutes ago, MariaReynolds said:

Glass houses....

Are you serious?

1 hour ago, MariaReynolds said:

Glass houses....

So, you think Dan's defense should be: "Your Honor, at least I wasn't texting. Here, let me show you this study by Car and Driver Magazine. I think when you read this, you'll see that I am absolutely innocent!"

Maria, thank you for your input, but the grown-ups are talking right now.

11 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

So, you think Dan's defense should be: "Your Honor, at least I wasn't texting. Here, let me show you this study by Car and Driver Magazine. I think when you read this, you'll see that I am absolutely innocent!"

Maria, thank you for your input, but the grown-ups are talking right now.

Interesting that you didn't ask me if that's what I thought Dan's defense should be, but rather you indicated that that was what I actually thought.  Very grown up of you.

Perhaps I overestimated the grown-ups' understanding of an idiom.

While most commenters in this thread have been sympathetic toward Dan's situation, some were pretty judgmental.  I have a fairly high degree of confidence that at least some of those individuals have been using their phone to text, email, etc. while driving.

The grown-ups at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) have clearly done research that shows that texting can be more dangerous than driving under the influence.  I am sure their intent is not to diminish the seriousness of driving while intoxicated, but rather to elevate people's understanding of just how dangerous, by comparison, texting and driving can be.  

Hence, the "glass houses" comment for those who sit in judgement of Dan as they may have engaged in behavior that was actually more dangerous (unless, of course, they have never used their phone to text while driving, in which case, I apologize).

willie likes this