Danny Mac

Fraz

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like him as announcer. I think he is one of the best in the business in both Baseball and College basketball. 
We are lucky to have him as a local broadcaster. 
That said I don’t think he can make it back from this one. At least not in St. Louis.

This is at least his third offense. At some point there needs to be severe consequences.

12 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I really like him as announcer. I think he is one of the best in the business in both Baseball and College basketball. 
We are lucky to have him as a local broadcaster. 
That said I don’t think he can make it back from this one. At least not in St. Louis.

This is at least his third offense. At some point there needs to be severe consequences.

third offense is a felony

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Unfortunately I think this will send him to jail for maybe a year.  Too bad - alcoholism is tough to beat.  Feel bad for his family.

unlikely he will spend anytime in jail, likely years of probation, maybe some shock time a few weeks, jails are so full most get probation

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Unfortunately I think this will send him to jail for maybe a year.  Too bad - alcoholism is tough to beat.  Feel bad for his family.

Yes, I wonder how many leave the Chaifetz drunk after every Billiken game… it’s sad people can’t enjoy a two hour event without a beer in their hand… but most will never learn… 

AGB91 and bauman like this

4 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Yes, I wonder how many leave the Chaifetz drunk after every Billiken game… it’s sad people can’t enjoy a two hour event without a beer in their hand… but most will never learn… 

I enjoy a beer during almost every Billiken game. I also never drive home drunk from the games.

BilliesBy40 likes this

8 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I enjoy a beer during almost every Billiken game. I also never drive home drunk from the games.

How many have just one? And please don’t confuse the legal limits with diminished ability.. any amount of alcohol effects your judgment and performance…for all those who are now condemning Danny Mac, the majority have done the same but were lucky… 

Danny Mac is a phenomenal baseball announcer & really great at basketball too.  Seems like a nice dude, but clearly struggling with alcohol issues.  Really sucks because it seemed like he turned things around after the 2nd time.  He absolutely needs to face real consequences this go around instead of just a slap on the wrist and the possibility of losing his job. Cardinals, SLU & Ballys need cut him loose. He should do jail time.  Hope he gets his life together after.

Crappy way to get the job, but I hope Colin Suhre gets call to do play by play alongside Highmark.  He’s young & needs polish, but the effort is clearly there & I think he’s got potential to be really good.  Working alongside a guy like Highmark who has a lot of experience would be good for him.

stmdragons likes this

9 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

How many have just one? And please don’t confuse the legal limits with diminished ability.. any amount of alcohol effects your judgment and performance…for all those who are now condemning Danny Mac, the majority have done the same but were lucky… 

Agree, but this is not the case if someone gets hit and injured by a drunk driver. It is not what they have done assuming there are no injuries present, the reason for severe punishment after several DWIs is what they may do if they continue drinking and driving.

I'm really sad about this. Dan is such a nice guy and a fantastic broadcaster. I'll always mention this, but my dad has done Billiken TV stats for 37 years and has been left of Dan for as long as he's done the games. My dad even worked last second completely for free at the Iona game last year and Dan gave my family Champions Club tickets for a Cards game in July. No matter what, I won't let acts of character like that go unmentioned; he's a stand up guy who is clearly struggling with demons and has for years. I hope it's not the last we hear from him and hope he finally beats this.

54 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I'm really sad about this. Dan is such a nice guy and a fantastic broadcaster. I'll always mention this, but my dad has done Billiken TV stats for 37 years and has been left of Dan for as long as he's done the games. My dad even worked last second completely for free at the Iona game last year and Dan gave my family Champions Club tickets for a Cards game in July. No matter what, I won't let acts of character like that go unmentioned; he's a stand up guy who is clearly struggling with demons and has for years. I hope it's not the last we hear from him and hope he finally beats this.

Thank you for sharing this. Gotta remember to discuss this with nuance. Alcoholism is no joke and this is clearly a bigger issue than tipping a few brewskies pre/during/postgame.

10 hours ago, dennis_w said:

unlikely he will spend anytime in jail, likely years of probation, maybe some shock time a few weeks, jails are so full most get probation

From what I heard it is the number of DUIs that he has.  At some point they determine that you are habitual and going to jail is very real.  We will see but I bet he is dismissed by the Cardinals.  Often wondered how Shannon managed to go untouched - maybe he was smart enough not to drive.

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

From what I heard it is the number of DUIs that he has.  At some point they determine that you are habitual and going to jail is very real.  We will see but I bet he is dismissed by the Cardinals.  Often wondered how Shannon managed to go untouched - maybe he was smart enough not to drive.

when you get to three it is a felony and even with a conviction the likelyhood of him spending much jail time is slim. the prisons are full and judges are reluctant to incarcerate nonviolent offenders. he might spend a short period of "shock time" but he will get years of probation and mandatory rehab getting driving privileges will be very expensive along with regular visits and testing with his parole officer

Being an alcoholic is a disease, but one you're fully aware of having by this point.  It's one thing to struggle with the disease but to repeatedly choose to get behind the wheel of a car and put others lives in danger, IMO, is grounds for forfeiture of the "good guy" status. It sounds like none of you have lost a loved one to the decisions of a drunk driver - I personally haven't either but am very close to some that have - but I think we're getting lost in the appreciation of a public sports figure and discounting human decency and basic responsibility in the process. 

It was 6:30PM on a Sunday - we know he's got the money to call a fu**ing Uber. Guess I don't share the same sympathy, sorry if I offend anyone. He's a great sportscaster, but maybe not such a great person. Three strikes you're out, right? 

9 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Being an alcoholic is a disease, but one you're fully aware of having by this point.  It's one thing to struggle with the disease but to repeatedly choose to get behind the wheel of a car and put others lives in danger, IMO, is grounds for forfeiture of the "good guy" status. It sounds like none of you have lost a loved one to the decisions of a drunk driver - I personally haven't either but am very close to some that have - but I think we're getting lost in the appreciation of a public sports figure and discounting human decency and basic responsibility in the process. 

It was 6:30PM on a Sunday - we know he's got the money to call a fu**ing Uber. Guess I don't share the same sympathy, sorry if I offend anyone. He's a great sportscaster, but maybe not such a great person. Three strikes you're out, right? 

I hear what you're saying but he's making these bad decisions after he's already drunk.  He's not aware of anything at that point.  Even if he makes preparations when he's sober, his drunk self can always overrule them.  I hope DMac gets the help he needs before he hurts somebody.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

"Moon Man" Shannon is nuts sober.....

OK, let's say that he goes on probation after a minimal period of incarceration. If you ever treated alcoholics, you know the chances of long term sobriety are not good, this does not mean it cannot be done, but the chances of a long term fully sober recovery are slim. If he ever, during this sober period, during probation, takes a single drink he goes down the tubes again. If he gets caught in a DWI or causes an injury while DWI and breaks probation he will be in jail, period.

He may be a great guy for those who know him but he either stays sober or destroys himself one way or the other. The so called demons do not leave easily or willingly.